I need an expert's help

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello I would like to thank who ever is to help me in advance I really appreciate it.
my problem is more like a chain reaction of problem that I found out one after another so I will have to go into a bit of detail here is a list of the main issues I have

1.unable to launch into safe mode
2.rootkit.tdss and rootkit.agent
3.out of date anti virus (which I plan to remove and replace with a free one like avg ,avira or avast but have a few question first)
4.google searches being redirected

now I have tried several solutions to this problems which I have found in several tech forum including this one from post of other users who have had same or similar problem but before that I have one major question I must ask

I am about to get my first external hard drive its going to be a 1T or 1.5T drive and I would like to put 120GB of videos, music and photos an some of those .exe file to install video player an editing video programs and codecs into that external drive. now this 120GB are mostly videos I download from safe sites that I know don't contain infected files so everything that I download from videos to music to those .exe file that are use to install programs all go to one folder now I would like 2 just grab that whole folder and move it to the brand new external hard drive but I am afraid that what ever infection virus, malware or spyware that I might have has can get into this folder and will move to the external hard drive when I tried to move the stuff to it or if by just plug in the external hard drive to my comp will get the external hard drive infected. the folder that has everything inside is right on the desktop so its not deep inside my computer basically my question would be

can I connect my new external hard drive to this computer? if yes
can I move that whole folder with all those files into the external hard drive? if no
are there any files in that folder at all that I can move to my external hard drive?

I am about ready to reboot my comp to factory settings but saw this forum and would like to give it one final chance before I lose everything.

I am unable to finish this post at this moment due to time.
due to work and the current holidays I wont be able to reply right away and might only be able to check this page once or twice a day so please do not think I have abandon this post.
please do not close or lock this post I really do need the help and will appreciate it.
please do not link me to guides to get rid of the problem I listed above yet since I have tried several and non have work and some I cant even try due to not being able to launch in safe mode.
I will put more detail in the problem I have once I come back it would be very helpful if when I check again I know I can backup my files into my external hard drive or not

I leave you with this attachment of a malwarebyte's anti-malware log of a full scan I did the day everything went from bad to worst

View attachment mbam-log-2009-11-18 (17-40-54).txt

I will go over the detail of that log and what I did and what happen afterward.

I'm not very good with computer but I do very well at following instruction when directly give to me.
sorry for my grammatical errors am not use to writing or posting much and thank you very much I really appreciate your help since I feel like am in a hole that has spike coming out of the wall and their closing in hopefully someone might trow me a rope from above and save me.

Welcome Drkshadow120,
I have never seen that "bad" of a Mbam log. Your out of date antivirus program hasn't been working for a while has it. A format and clean reinstall of Windows might be the easiest thing to do at this point.

Yes, you should be able to move videos, music, and photos on to the new external drive. You can scan that drive after you reload the OS onto the C drive. Please do a destructive or full format of C.

Memory Processes Infected: 1
Memory Modules Infected: 0
Registry Keys Infected: 750
Registry Values Infected: 13
Registry Data Items Infected: 7
Folders Infected: 1
Files Infected: 5

What were you downloading? Also, what was your previous anti-virus software? If it was Windows Enterprise Defender, than you were using a rogue software which is really a virus.

your right is not worth fixing specially since now malwarebyte's anti-malware wont do a full scan it freezes at the end of scanning.

@ AnonymousSurfer

my previous anti-virus is mcafee security center and it was outdated for about 6 months since once the subscription ended i didn't bother to renew it cause it really sucked and i dint download Windows Enterprise Defender it actually somehow install it self on my computer when i left it one day on a site that gives links to videos to stream and i open a megavideo link and walk away while for about 2 hours came back watch the video and then Windows Enterprise Defender pop upped saying my files were infested and i already knew that was a rogue program and is why i ran malwarebyte's anti-malware. yea so i see its no point trying fix im going restore computer back to factory setting as soon as i get the external drive i bought so i can backup what i need.

@kimsland

thank you kim i needed a recommendation of which one to use ill give avira a try i am guessing the free version doesn't have a firewall. which of the 2 firewall you guys recommended is easy to use and very effective.

its going to be a pain having to update everything again do you guys know of any free program that point me out to the correct updates for drivers like the sound and video last time i had to go find them manually it was a pain.

thanks again guys for the help

An extra firewall other than the proper up to date Windows one is not normally necessary, but with your browsing habits, the more protection the better

I agree. Windows firewall has come leaps and bounds since the "old" days.
It is now stated as the only firewall that you need (for normal Internet usage)

But, if you want to go ever so slightly better than Windows firewall (and I do mean this), then you could use Free Comodo firewall. Please note: The Free firewall download, also comes with Antivirus - of which can be decided on not installing during the custom setup (obviously preferred)
This allowing you to have Free Avira and a Free Comdo firewall.

Regarding your Drivers.
I usually link all members to this sticky (right here at TechSpot) Driver links by manufacturer
It is best to use the updated drivers from your manufacturer, and not backup your old drivers.

Note: Once you have installed Windows and then updated to the latest Service Pack
Then installed all Manufacturer drivers, and continued to complete all other Windows Security Updates
Then installed Free Antivirus and lastly possibly optimized Windows a little
Then that's it ;) You just install what-ever other programs you use, also a printer I suppose, and all is done

:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back