I need help with an ethernet cable

matthewpeterson

So I have one ethernet cable. I have been using it for two devices lately. One is a dell laptop. And the other is a ps4 slim version. It has worked for awhile, but for some reason it has started to stop working every time I switch it from the laptop to the ps4. For example, I will have it in my laptop and it will work fine. Then, I will move it over to my ps4. And the ps4 recognizes that it is there. But there just isnt any internet connection. And so I would move it back to my laptop and it will show it's connected but no internet again. It shows a little yellow triangle next to the ethernet connected symbol. If I go and do a reset on my router and unplug the lan cable it works. Then I move it and it doesnt. Does anyone know a fix so I dont have to keep resetting the router?

I think router is stuck on seeing the prior system.

Use original cable with one system.
Buy a second cable for the other.

I think there may be a command you can give from the prompt, but I don't use it enough to remember offhand.

@jobeard would know

Yes I could just buy another cable but I was wondering if there was any way to just use the same one
Probably, I think it might be open prompt, enter 'ipconfig /release', then 'ipconfig /renew' , then 'exit' . The 2 cable approach, especially if router isn't easy to restart, is easiest - then the router can identify each system with a separate port.

Then, I will move it over to my ps4. And the ps4 recognizes that it is there. But there just isnt any internet connection. And so I would move it back to my laptop and it will show it's connected but no internet again. It shows a little yellow triangle next to the ethernet connected symbol.
The yellow flag is disturbing.

Just to be sure:
isp==modem--router--
  1. either the PC
  2. or the PS4
  3. but not both at the same time as you have only one cable
Has the manual switching ALWAYS worked? For how long?
Then, I will move it over to my ps4. And the ps4 recognizes that it is there. But there just isnt any internet connection.
This has the earmarks that you have JUST added the router to the system and as long as the ISP sees your PC everything is just fine. When it's removed, the ISP can find the MAC and disables access (typically by not giving a DNS address).

I would get another ethernet cable and connect the PS4 directly to the router and leave the PC as is.

IMO, the symptoms are that of the ISP implementing Hardware Provisioning, where the MAC address is used to verify the ISP+Client relationship. When the PC is not available (aka disconnected or not running), the ISP is refusing to respond fully to the DHCP requests.

To fix this, I called my ISP, told them I had a new/first-time router and need them to authorize its connection.

I fixed it by using a pen to hit the reset button on the back of my modem. ( factory reset ) thank you for your help though guys! I appreciate it
Also,sometimes, just shut the computer off & unplug everything.
Press the Power button on the computer to discharge it.
Plug everything back in & restart the computer.

I lost my ethernet connection yesterday & reset the modem by pushing the reset button & followed my advice above & got connected again.
Glitches happen for seemingly no reason on occasion.

I fixed it by using a pen to hit the reset button on the back of my modem. ( factory reset ) thank you for your help though guys! I appreciate it
Good choice! Be sure to load the latest firmware for that router make/model as there are attacks that can foul or takeover router control.

Back