I: task manager/desktop disabled by virus II: windows won't boot

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a Gateway FX530XG running Windows XP Media Center Edition. My computer was infected with a virus or viruses that resulted in my task manager and desktop being disabled.

I followed the instructions in this post: (techspot website)vb/topic106235.html

I followed Blind Dragon's suggestion to run Malware and remove the infected files. Afterwards, I got a popup telling me that Malware needed to restart my computer. I restarted, but now XP won't boot. The OS recovery disk that I got in lieu of the standard XP disk only presents me with two options: a Full System Restore or a Full SYstem Restore (with Backup). Neither option is attractive. Is there anything else I can do?

Largely Unrelated Note: Two? years ago I had a problem with the computer wherein it would power on but not even attempt to load windows or boot up (the monitor never got a signal, but the computer was obviously on) The internal system emitted a series of evenly spaced beeps (three I believe). This problem persisted for a week and then disappeared. Shortly thereafter I experienced the problem where XP wouldn't boot, and attempted to solve it with the OS Restore disk but it failed and resulted in a repetition of the initial problem. Long story short (I know, too late) I ended up having to send the computer to Texas for replacement. I'm thus hesitant to trust the Gateway OS disk at present.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back