I think I bought the wrong motherbaord for my processor!

I have just recently ordered some parts to build my own gaming computer. I purchased this processor: AMD Phenom II X6 1090T Black Edition Thuban 3.2GHz 6 x 512KB L2 Cache 6MB L3 Cache Socket AM3 125W Six-Core Desktop Processor HDT90ZFBGRBOX

and this motherboard:GIGABYTE GA-M68MT-S2P AM3 NVIDIA GeForce 7025/nForce 630a chipset Micro ATX AMD Motherboard

The FSB on the motherboard says 1000MHz Hyper Transport (2000 MT/s), the FSB of the processor says 4000mhz.

Is this a problem? motherboard says its ready to take on the 6-core AMD processor that i purchased. Is this going to be a problem. If someone could tell me what would happen if i put them together i would greatly appreciate it. im freaking out right now.... think i just wasted money on this mobo.

According to the Gigabyte site there are two revisions of this board, Rev 1.0 and Rev 3.0. The AMD Phenom II X6 1090T is not on the Supported Cpu list for Rev 1.0 but is supported on Rev 3.0
The following note is on the product page for both revisions:

* If you install AMD AM3 CPU on this motherboard, the system bus speed will downgrade from HT3.0 (5200MT/s) to HT1.0 (2000 MT/s) spec; however, the frequency of AM3 CPU will not be impacted. Please refer "CPU Support List" for more information.

If I'm reading this right it appears that you'll need Rev 3.0 to run the 1090T but it will still degrade from HT 3 to HT 1. Here are the Cpu support lists off the Gigabyte site.

Socket AM3 - NVIDIA GeForce 7025 / nForce 630a - GA-M68MT-S2P (rev. 1.0

Socket AM3 - NVIDIA GeForce 7025 / nForce 630a - GA-M68MT-S2P (rev. 3.0

Personally, I would recommend that you return your current board if possible and upgrade to a that natively supports the 1090T.

Personally, I would recommend that you return your current board if possible and upgrade to a that natively supports the 1090T.
IMO, not a worthy motherboard for the 1090T, so I would go this route anyway.

Buy first, then post right?!

Ofcourse i should have asked before i purchased... i didnt even notice this until after i ordered it because it was fine print. Im new to this whole building your own computer thing... its an amateur mistake, we have all made them... Thanks for the great informational post though Mizzou, much appreciated.

Ofcourse i should have asked before i purchased... i didnt even notice this until after i ordered it because it was fine print. Im new to this whole building your own computer thing... its an amateur mistake, we have all made them... Thanks for the great informational post though Mizzou, much appreciated.

No problem, there's a lot to learn up front when you start building your own system ... live and learn :)

Back