I think I may have a keylogger

Status
Not open for further replies.
Basically, I was browsing a forum and clicked on a link that many people said was a keylogger.

Now when I clicked it, I got a Forbidden message that said I did not have access, which I had seen before, but I did some research and it appeared that it was indeed a keylogger, but I think maybe Firefox prevented it.

Either way, to be sure I ran scans with Norton, Spybot, and Ad-Aware and turned up nothing. Then I restored my system to factory settings.

Someone suggested HijackThis and this forum. So I gave her a go. I have not noticed any difference in my system, but maybe I'm missing something.

The log is attached. I truly appreciate any help, as I am very paranoid.

Attachments

• hijackthis.log
    8 KB · Views: 5
If you restored your system to factory settings, then you should be fine. If you had a keylogger and used the disk to wipe everything and reinsall the keylogger is now gone. Keyloggers usually attach themselves to files in the system, and in your case, since you got it through a link, was most likely on a temporary file. Should be good to go and your logs look normal.

Hi, thanks for the post.

One more thing though, I didn't use an external disc to restore it to factory settings, I used the built in partition.

Everything else went back to factory, but some people have told me that keyloggers are sneaky enough to get in there. I don't know if this makes a difference, but I would appreciate some clarification on it.

Thanks.

If the keylogger attached to a temporary file, then it is most likely gone, and you ran a bunch of scans so you should be just fine. If you still feel kinda weird about it every time you time in a password, then the windows restore disk will solve everything. However, since you used the recovery partition. then you should be ok in my opinion. I have never used the recovery partiton (my pc comes with it too) but i dont see a kelogger making its way to another partition.

Just a thought....

There is a website that will do a preliminary evaluation of your hijackthis! logs.
This website is found at http://hjt.networktechs.com/ I ran your hijackthis! logs and seems as if you may have more work to be done. Give it a look and would like to have a status report if you like.

Good luck!
Regards.

Basically, I was browsing a forum and clicked on a link that many people said was a keylogger.

This is the part that confuses me... people told you it was a keylogger, and you clicked it anyway.....

This is why Virus's and keyloggers, and malware get around the way they do.....

A Blatant Warning, and we click away anyway........ then we are worried we have a situation....

The best Antivirus, and best malware removal program will solve your problem.... let me give you a name, and a link...

COMMON SENSE

Scooting over to share the boat

I've been in the same boat you are in DaMak420. Let me know if you have further issues regarding the same. :wave:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back