I7 2600k vs i7 950 for a new build?

klepto12

As i have already made a topic on me building a new rig soon i was just wondering since the sandy bridge CPUs will be out soon what are your thoughts on it vs the i7 950 system i mean i am going to want to OC this system to the max so would sandy bridge be better overall?

get the 2600k since it is the newer architecture and is faster clock for clock. The 2600k will also overclock higher with less voltage; some see 5Ghz on air with it.

The i7 2600K also features a fully unlocked multiplier. That's the one to go for in my opinion.

If you don't mind the cpu throttling between 4+ghz and back down to 1600mhz then go for the 2600. There's nothing you can do about that as of now. It does require less voltage than a 950 just as stated above. As far as layout the most noticeable different is 4 vs 6 dimm slots.

Also

1155 chipset uses Dual Channel ram vs 1366 uses Triple Channel.

Although most benchmarks don't attribute a hugh leap in memory bandwidth/performance going to triple channel memory.

Another vote for the i7 2600K ... in addition to the points already made there's the fact that socket LGA 1366 is on it's way out.

Back