IBM Thinkpad 1411 i series battery bad message won't boot

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all, I have a thinkpad 1411 i series from 1998. A workhorse. I always use the machine plugged in. Original battery.

Was getting a battery bad/drive OK message, then I would hit enter and it would boot up.

Now will not boot at all.

Can't it work with just the plug or do I have to buy another battery?

I just use it for a word processor and family photos now. but I like it for that. I have a dell dual core /quad for the web.

Shouldn't it work with just the plug, I don't get it?

Thanks for advice

Not all notebooks will work without a battery. I have a Toshiba A70, and had issues a while back which I thought was the battery, so I tried running without it. Try taking the battery out and see if it starts. Keep in mind that it's a good idea to cycle batteries in notebooks even if they are always plugged in, they should be discharged maybe once a month or so.
Your particular error seems to be coming from the CMOS, maybe you can look at that, considering its been 11 years, maybe its due for a change.

Went down the list of common sense things before I posted.

As I said I have a new dell, would like to keep this in the basement office for wp.

Is it worth the new battery purchase, will that end the problem do you think?

I would spend the 60 bucks if that's it.

Again, try to power the computer with the battery unplugged-it should work. But your problem is most likely the cmos battery(which is inexpensive and woth it). You just need to remove it from the back (bottom) of your notebook and check it (or have it checked) It's normally a simple lithium battery which runs about $10-$15. As for the new Dell, it is a good idea to cycle the battery occasionally (as with any battery). so you constantly see the battery performance

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back