IBM unveils cognitive computing chips that mimic human brain

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Fans of the 'Terminator' franchise might sleep a little uneasy tonight as IBM, teaming with the Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency (DARPA) and four universities, has designed the first working computer chips modeled after the human brain. 

In the popular film series, Skynet is an artificial intelligence system built by Cyberdyne Systems for the US armed forces. The goal was to remove the possibility of human error and provide an efficient response to incoming enemy attacks, but things went horribly wrong when the system became self-aware and turned on humanity.

The project is called Synapse (Systems of Neuromorphic Adaptive Plastic Scalable Electronics, stylized as SyNAPSE), based on the junction between neurons and other cells in the nervous system. Dharmendra Modha is the chief investigator of the project and a researcher at IBM Almaden Research Center in San Jose, California.

“This is the seed for a new generation of computers, using a combination of supercomputing, neuroscience, and nanotechnology,” Modha said in an interview with VentureBeat. ”The computers we have today are more like calculators. We want to make something like the brain. It is a sharp departure from the past.”

At current, the system is comprised of three key elements that make it very similar to the human brain. It has neurons that act as digital processors to compute information, synapses which are described as the foundation of learning and memory and axons that connect various parts of the system together.

IBM’s cognitive chip design is far from global domination but researchers hope that one day the chips can simulate and emulate the brain’s ability to perceive surroundings, sense, recognize and interact without human guidance.

The first prototype computing units use 256 neurons, 65,536 synapses and 256 axons. IBM hopes to eventually build a system with 10 billion neurons and 100 trillion synapses. In comparison, the human brain has one billion neurons and 10 trillion synapses.

The project was started in late 2008 with a $4.9 million grant from DARPA, the US government’s military research division. Phase two of the project is said to begin soon where a computer will be built around the brain chips.

Permalink to story.

Is there a problem with computers being like calculators? I already have a human brain. It's great at solving complex symbolic problems, but not good at doing very large calculations in any reasonable amount of time, which is kind of why I got a computer in the first place.

My dad's friend who's high up in IBM told me about this in early 2009 and I'm just as amazed.

example1013 said:
Is there a problem with computers being like calculators? I already have a human brain. It's great at solving complex symbolic problems, but not good at doing very large calculations in any reasonable amount of time, which is kind of why I got a computer in the first place.[/quot

There are Pros and Cons. But I think the main fear of people is the machine becoming self aware and life becomes a sci-fi horror movie.

but in my line of work there are some tasks that it would be nice for the computer to pick up on a data pattern alot easier with out having to could an uber algorithim (which i might still have to...)

I'll just wait and see what happens.

Not the hardware is the problem here, not in HAL nor in IBM. What kind of info they'll be putting in that is the question. Anyway, it will be a simple matter of connectivity to interface an intelligent unit - IU with a number cruncher - ordinary CPU. So, as soon as they will have adaptive pattern recognition, we will face intelligent projectiles - the kind you've seen in SciFi movies. QOD

IBM produces first 'brain chips'

IBM has developed a microprocessor which it claims comes closer than ever to replicating the human brain. The system is capable of "rewiring" its connections as it encounters new information, similar to the way biological synapses work. Researchers believe that that by replicating that feature, the technology could start to learn.

_54674441_brainmap.jpg

Perhaps a step towards making cyborgs in near future?

example1013 said:
Is there a problem with computers being like calculators? I already have a human brain. It's great at solving complex symbolic problems, but not good at doing very large calculations in any reasonable amount of time, which is kind of why I got a computer in the first place.

But don't have 100 trillion synapses. Imagine the wisdom of a computer 10 times smarter than any man.

Mindwraith said:
computers and robots are pretty fragile, i think being afraid of real life terminators is a bit silly :p

But human lives will be placed in their hands. Your computer might get sad like Marvin from Hitchhiker's Guide and commit suicide. Or your car could plot against you like HAL from Space Odyssey. It's misplaced trust in them that is dangerous.

Well, it starting to look like we might all need to go out and grab a copy of this....

terminator-comics-skynet-xp.jpg

Soon, very soon, this might be what all computer technology will be running on!

"You know, compatibility"!

But human lives will be placed in their hands. Your computer might get sad like Marvin from Hitchhiker's Guide and commit suicide. Or your car could plot against you like HAL from Space Odyssey. It's misplaced trust in them that is dangerous.
Well, Asimov has dealt with this issue in his "laws of robotics".

Anyway, ethics routines would have to be ROM, and cognitive processes would have to be RAM, with the obvious constant calls to ROM as a comparison basis for continuance of current actions.

Now if somebody would sit down and write those programs, 'cause God knows, I surely can't. Maybe Emily Post could write some of the manners subroutines.

Somehow the only thing I could think of when I saw this was not Terminator, but anime's such as Chobits and Eve no Jikan...

Of course the thought of killer robots do cross minds, but the thought of having a "personal helper" follow you around, keep tabs on your notes and what not is quite an interesting thought.

Okay that was weird, at first I couldn't figure out how on earth I have ended up subscribing to this thread, until I realized what may have happened. Good idea IMO :)

hello ...

neofryboy said:
Does anyone else think a computer modeled after the human brain wouldn't be very smart?

Big LOL ... :)

& from my point of view, humans have so many flaws that making a computer based on humans do scare me ... OMG this isn't progress ;)

well sounds interesting & daring too ... i sure hope i'll live long enough to see it come true or rapidly enough not to have my heads rip off by some weird psycho borgs :p .. OK now going back to play my games ...or maybe get some work done ...

cheers!

Mindwraith said:
computers and robots are pretty fragile, i think being afraid of real life terminators is a bit silly :p

are you kidding me?, maybe all you have just seen are plastic robots, better wait till they make metallic ones like in terminator. Imagine how they could use all that for wars and human domination.

We are totally screwed.

The problem with human brain is that its owner is inclined to "not using it". So the to the fact that you use your brain daily and don't understand why such a technology is required I have an answer. For each thinker there are like 10000 people that don't use their brain for thinking. Unless if you count the cerebral activity done in the process of obtaining marijuana.

Funny.. I was just reading this on the BBC news website and thought "oh that's really interesting" then got to the last paragraph which reads:

"IBM's work on the SyNAPSE project continues and the company, along with its academic partners, has just been awarded $21m (£12.7m) by the US Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency (DARPA)."

Instantly thought..... SKYNET o.o

Jokes aside, i'd be interested to see how far they can develop this!

Back