Iconned out of icons

Status
Not open for further replies.

wolfblitz

I have created a lot of shortcuts on my desktop but they are boring (see pic supplied) so I spent a lot of time searching out icons off the web or making my own from pics(all for free) everything was ok untill I turned my pc off.......when I turned back on all new icons had gone to be replaced with boring ones again.......if I redo them how do I make sure they stay put this time

Attachments

• dt02.JPG
    dt02.JPG
    2.3 KB · Views: 8
Thanks. I saw some similar articles on how to rebuild your icon cache for XP as well. I didn't look to much into it, but just be carefull about the age of the article as it appears that there were some changes between pre SP2 and SP2+ for XP in the way the icon cache is handled.

Hi compdata thanks for your reply will look into that but...... what is the cache and what does it do??

Hi tipstir thanks for your reply I had a look at the link you posted but the problem isnt with icons provided by windows they are ok its the desktop shortcuts like Techspot that I assigned custom icons thats the problem

You must right click each icon and replace it with the one you have downloaded and stored in a folder. right click the Icon and choose "properties" then click " change icon" find the folder and choose your icon. I only run XP and this never affects your system icons, located in C:\WINDOWS\system32 > shell32.dll . Its always good advice to use this method as your never messing with your original XP icons.

Hi levithomas thanks for your reply
I think I may know why my problem has occured tell me if I'm wrong.......Ok I download a picture from the internet put it on the desktop---make the image into an icon,again store it on the desktop---put the shiney new icon on the techspot shortcut then delete the originale picture download and the converted icon.....when I reboot because the original is not on my pc it doesn't reaper on the techspot shortcut.....is the problem that I didn't store the originals in a folder as you pointed out and if it is does it matter where they are stored??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back