Identifying the case of my BSOD on startup

Meller

Let's begin with my hardware:

Intel Q9650 - 3ghz (less than a year old)
Asus P5N - D Motherboard (less than a year old)
4GB DDR2 800mhz (about two years old)
GTX 550 ti x2 in SLI
Alienware 750w Power Supply
1 x 220gb 7200RPM HDD (Contains windows)
2x 500GB 7200RPM in Raid for a 1TB drive
Corsair H60 heat sink.
Case Haf-X 942

So I got a virus a few days ago. AVG "Supposedly" cleaned it up. Afterwards, any time I tried to open anything it said <file name>.exe can not be located.

Was going to run AVG again, but instead decided to make sure it was fully updated so I updated it and it required a restart...

After I restarted it, it would get past the Windows 7 logo screen... stay black for about 30 secs, then an extremely quick blue screen (unable to read was on it), auto restart and repeat the cycle.

Steps I've taken to try and resolve:

I took out my 220GB hard drive and replaced it with a working 500GB hard drive with windows xp. (While I realize it won't have my motherboard's drivers, gpu drivers or anything on it, they wouldn't keep it from booting). It gets to the windows xp logo screen, and right after blue screens, auto restarts and repeats the cycle.

I unplugged power to the two raid drives, to the CD/DVD Rom, I unplugged all sata and IDE cords from the motherboard... I also took out one stick of ram leaving just one other in. Started up, same thing. I swapped out the sticks of ram... same thing.

Sum it up:

Regardless of the ram, what hard drive, what OS, what all I have connected to the motherboard/power supply, it refuses to boot up.

Suggestions?

Turn off automatic restart by going to Control Panel, System, Advanced System Settings, Start up and Recovery... un-check automatic restart. Put everything back and re-install Windows fresh. Nix AVG and go with Microsoft security Essentials and make sure you apply ALL Windows Updates. Don't forget the motherboard drivers

Remember install Windows fresh. Trying an OS install will clear the viral left-over damage... AVG sucks, although no antivirus software is fool proof

You really think that within one reset both memory sticks would go bad? I mean when booting up, the BIO does a mem check and passes it. How do they go from being good to both being bad in just one restart?

You don't like AVG... I thought it was funny the one day that my license expires, I'm too lazy to find a new one... and I get a virus. Never had a virus the entire time I had an active AVG.

You really think Microsoft Security Essentials is better than AVG Internet Security 2012?

Also tell me this, I get the Fresh install on my primary boot hard drive with Windows 7 Ultimate, but why would it also blue screen at the exact same spot when I put in a completely different hard drive running Windows XP?

You can't use a hard drive with an OS installed on different hardware, in another computer. All kinds of things can happen. Your problem started with a malware attack. This can delete or corrupt programs and system files... This is why I say "fresh OS install" in the first place. Microsoft Security Essentials works with the Windows Firewall and Windows Defender. 3rd party protection messes with these programs, causing all sorts of issues in Windows 7

The biggest problem would be missing drivers on the second hard drive. But that puts it in the same place as a fresh install where it's missing the hardware drivers.

Either way, I'll give a fresh install a try and see what I can muster up.

"The biggest problem would be missing drivers on the second hard drive"...
Missing drivers yes... You can get them from the ASUS support website

Turns out, the problem lied within my antivirus. AVG's drivers were corrupted some how after that virus and because of this it wouldn't let my computer boot up.

I did take your advice and got Windows Security Essentials. Let's cross our fingers and hope it's a half way decent anti virus.

Back