IE losing share, Firefox stagnant, Chrome passes 13 percent

Emil

Staff

With IE9, Firefox 5, and Chrome 12 all out, the second browser war is only getting fiercer. Let's take a look at the market share numbers for last month.

Between May and June, Internet Explorer dropped 0.59 percentage points, a bit less than the previous month. Firefox, meanwhile, dipped 0.04 percentage points, less than it gained last month. Chrome increased 0.59 percentage points, making it last month's biggest winner. Safari was up 0.20 percentage points. Opera lost 0.14 percentage points.

At 53.68 percent, Internet Explorer has once again hit a new low. IE9, the latest and greatest from Microsoft, last month captured 5.63 percent of the market (up by 1.44 percent percentage points). IE8 lost 1.21 percentage points, but it's still the world's most popular browser. IE7 fell 0.46 percentage points and IE6 fell just 0.18 percentage points. We're hoping that IE6 will fall below the 10 percent mark next month.

At 21.67 percent, Firefox is still below the peak it reached last year (24.72 percent). It appears that Firefox 4 and Firefox 5 are still not helping Mozilla regain overall market share. This is despite the fact that Firefox 4 last month captured a whopping 10.46 percent of the market (up by 0.38 percentage points) and Firefox 5 grabbed 2.05 percent (the latest version came out towards the end of June). Firefox 3.6 and Firefox 3.5 together lost 2.34 percentage points.

At 13.11 percent, Chrome has hit a new high. The browser's built-in updating system is working wonders for Google. Chrome 12 managed to capture 7.32 percent (up by 7.32 percentage points). Chrome 11 meanwhile fell 3.93 percentage points and Chrome 10 fell 0.58 percentage points.

The data is courtesy of Net Applications, which looks at 160 million visitors per month. As you can see above, the situation at TechSpot is slightly different: Firefox is first, IE is second, Chrome is third, Safari is fourth, and Opera is fifth. The only browsers to gain share at TechSpot between May and June were Chrome and Safari.

Permalink to story.

In most cases, people don't actually replace Firefox. Most people have Chrome as a, sidekick, so to speak. I've been using Chrome more than Firefox lately, and while I really do like it, the truth is I just can't never see myself having Chrome as my only browser. I once gave it a thought, and realized that if for some reason I was forced to stick with only one browser, that browser would be the Fox. I don't speak for everybody here, but to most people this is usually the case; and that, says much more than percentages.

I have chrome as my only browser on all the pc's i use. its the first thing i install on a new windows installation

I think because we have fast internet, a lot of people are using different browsers for different things. I have IE9, Firefox 5 (which I think if they are going to update like Chrome... they need to do the nice update feature that Chrome has, and try not to break all my plugins every time), Chrome *latest* (12 at this time)... and I'm considering Opera now just for fun.

Maybe I different because I do web development, but fast internet gave us options. We all have a prefered browser, but I bet we use at least two on average. And you should get latest IE just so you have your security in order even if you don't use it. It is kinda still a part of windows... so you wanna keep any security issues a moving target.

lawfer said:
In most cases, people don't actually replace Firefox. Most people have Chrome as a, sidekick, so to speak. I've been using Chrome more than Firefox lately, and while I really do like it, the truth is I just can't never see myself having Chrome as my only browser. I once gave it a thought, and realized that if for some reason I was forced to stick with only one browser, that browser would be the Fox. I don't speak for everybody here, but to most people this is usually the case; and that, says much more than percentages.

Funny, I'm the other way around. For some reason, after a certain version of FF(can't remember which), I just felt like dumping it. Now, I only keep firefox for compatibility with sites that don't support Chrome, which luckily, are few and far between.

If I had to choose, FF or Chrome would be fine. IE9 if there's no other options. Safari I find really slow for some reason. Opera is just overloaded to me.

Hi

As a developer I am Supporting Opera over the Firefox - One important Reason is opera support and boost the speed for slow internet connection, that gives me a thought that , the browser must support slow internet connection irrespective of a website whose logic and heavy page design doesn't support Internet speed and bandwidth.

I tested my pages over the Opera as well as Firefox.
It's loaded pages in Opera faster than the Firefox. IE and Chrome is totally out in this case.

Internet is a common place for everyone. So International Standards for every browser must be same or common.
It is very bad that each browser is support different tags for the same purposes.
That's why to tackle all browser specific issues requires more time to develop a page for all the browsers.

Uniformity must be require for all the browsers.

Suggestion - Create a plug in for other browsers for compatibility view or at least make a common understanding between all browser companies to let it's user rights over the browser for his/her satisfaction.

Thanks.

I usually have several browsers installed in my PCs. I even install a lot of pre-release versions just to check out new features i.e. Firefox Aurora & Nightly plus Chrome 13 Beta. However, my main browser continues to be Opera, now in version 11.50, and in my experience, faster than my Chrome 13 Beta.

While time pass and xp give their place to seven, the ie will increase his market share. Now if someone is in xp the only option which have if want modern browser is between ie competitors.

Firefox used to be stable, resilient and reliable. The add ons made it fun to use
I bet many people are getting fed up with all versions. I personally am tired of reloading addons, and losing a few I enjoy using.

Whoever made the decision to introduce all these new versions of firefox - should be fired. They are losing users in droves.

I much prefer Opera browser over the others. My Opera is so customized ans so synchronized for my needs that I wouldn't even consider changing it. I've tried the other ones, but I think Opera is way better.

The new version of Opera is very nice but I miss the selection of extensions FF or Chrome has. I really looked forward to FF 4/5 but font rendering looks terrible, so I switched to Chrome and I don't see myself going back. Overall, I'm impressed with Chrome and truly think it's the best browser out there (although it was interesting how uncomfortable I initially felt using a different browser, I actually got used to Chrome quicker then I thought I would).

i use the following: IE9, firefox5, opera11.50, latest chrome dev...

using chrome for fast web browsing...

using firefox for news reading, rss feeds... aniweather and foxsaver add-ons, too!...

using ie9 for mails...

using opera just to see how "other browsers" feel...

"In most cases, people don't actually replace Firefox. Most people have Chrome as a, sidekick, so to speak."

Really? how did you come up with that? Left Firefox behind a long time ago.

I myself have teste the 5 leading browsers (Opera, Firefox, IE, Safari and Chrome) in several versions.

Finally I am with:
1. Opera for general browsing.
2. Firefox for banking portals.
3. IE6 for backward compatibility.

For me the best experience for browsing is Opera and Firefox browse over Safari, Chrome and versions of IE 7 and 8.

Opera almost has everything except a good implementation of "Work Offline".

Firefox is reliable and secure, I think is the most compatible with any site.

Practically do not use IE6, but I maintain that many sites adhere to this. (even better than later versions)

IE9? I do not care, I'm a Windows XP user.

I like Firefox the most, but the latest version is kinda buggy and it freezes very often so i'm forced to use Chrome.

Guest said:
"In most cases, people don't actually replace Firefox. Most people have Chrome as a, sidekick, so to speak."

I didn't "come up" with it, it's just the way it is. Firefox has been around for almost seven years; all websites require either IE or Firefox to be compatible nowadays. Truth is, people have become accustomed to how Firefox works, and with its add-on catalog. Since Chrome is a relatively new browser, it is just logical to expect that most people who do move over Chrome after using it, don't necessarily delete their Firefox installation, for whatever the reason. That's not to say Firefox is better than Chrome, but that's not saying the other way around either. It just means browsers have reached a high standard, and that all that's really left is choice, and not "let me move to Chrome because Firefox doesn't do X thing."

It's more of a "let me move to Firefox because I don't like Chrome's interface," and not because it can't do something. Intrinsically speaking, this simply means people acknowledge these two browsers as superior, and next-generation. All that is left, is what makes you comfortable in the long run.

lawfer said:
Guest said:

I didn't "come up" with it, it's just the way it is. Firefox has been around for almost seven years; all websites require either IE or Firefox to be compatible nowadays. Truth is, people have become accustomed to how Firefox works, and with its add-on catalog. Since Chrome is a relatively new browser, it is just logical to expect that most people who do move over Chrome after using it, don't necessarily delete their Firefox installation, for whatever the reason. That's not to say Firefox is better than Chrome, but that's not saying the other way around either. It just means browsers have reached a high standard, and that all that's really left is choice, and not "let me move to Chrome because Firefox doesn't do X thing."

It's more of a "let me move to Firefox because I don't like Chrome's interface," and not because it can't do something. Intrinsically speaking, this simply means people acknowledge these two browsers as superior, and next-generation. All that is left, is what makes you comfortable in the long run.

I like how you elected yourself to speak on behalf of everyone, lol. How do you know what all of us are thinking and how we use our browsers?

matrix86 said:
lawfer said:
Guest said:

I like how you elected yourself to speak on behalf of everyone, lol. How do you know what all of us are thinking and how we use our browsers?

I didn't elect myself. If you read my first comment which states:

lawfer said:
I don't speak for everybody here, but to most people this is usually the case; and that, says much more than percentages.

You would know I'm not just overgeneralizing. Like I said on the last comment, since Firefox has been around much longer, people have come to be accustomed with both the browser and its addons. Due to this fact, it is just logical to assume that most people would not just delete their Firefox installation after using Chrome. I'm not speaking for everybody, I'm simply detailing something that is obvious on a large scale.

Gave Chrome a 3 day trial and then ran back to Firefox. Chrome's extensions are suppose to be equivalent to their Firefox counterparts. This is not true. Chrome as a browser is fast. But Chrome's extensions on the other hand are slow and just plain suck. I suppose you wouldn't notice if you didn't use Firefox's extensions before. If you think Firefox is slow, upgrade your internet and enable pipelining via about:config (set max to 8). There you go Firefox is FAST and you don't have to sacrifice your extensions for poorly performing Chrome extensions.

It's not that the Chrome extension developers aren't good at what they do. It's that Google purposely handicapped their extensions in an effort to ensure extensions won't slow down the browser itself. This is true, Chromes extensions will not slow down the actual browser. However the extensions themselves perform slowly. In some cases you can visual see an extension transforming a page as it loads. In Firefox this is done instantly before the page loads...

If you rarely use extensions, then maybe Chrome is for you. If you're coming from Internet Explorer than anything is an improvement. All jokes aside, Chrome sucks.

I am a long time only Firefox user. With Firefox v5 crashing all of the time and the Firefox attitude of making you upgrade because they will no longer support previous versions, I think it has become time to remove this browser from my computer.

Gotta love the people switching from Firefox because their extensions aren't "compatible". This is utter garbage and requires nothing more than editing about:config or simply installing the addon "Add-on Compatibility Reporter" from: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/add-on-compatibility-reporter/

Obviously these people aren't computer enthusiasts and will just jump ship when something appears out of place. That's a mistake Mozilla is making by not including a fool proof way to allow "unsupported" extensions. It's a fact that 99.9% of extensions that are "updated" to work with newer versions of Firefox simply have the requirements field edited. When you create an extension you're required to input what versions it supports, so developers will usually only put the current and past versions. When new versions of the browser are released extension developers aren't always quick to edit that simple field... All you have to do is install "Add-on Compatibility Reporter" extension and voila 999 of 1000 extensions work without any problem.

As for crashing, I have been using Firefox since version 1.0 and have never had this problem. I have however had Adobe Flash Player crash which has probably happened ten times in the last six or seven years.

Back