IEEE bans Huawei employees from peer-reviewing and editing papers

Humza

Staff member
What just happened? Huawei is all over the news these days, and for unfortunate reasons. The latest involves having its scientists barred from peer reviewing and editing publications on IEEE, a globally recognized institute in the technical industry and academia with more than 420,000 members. Citing legal implications, the organization assured that its compliance with the US trade restrictions will have minimal impact on its members around the world.

In a detailed statement issued earlier this week, the New-York based Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers banned Huawei employees from reviewing or editing scientific papers. The organization, which functions as an open, non-political platform for scientists around the world, took this decision to comply with US laws to protect itself, its volunteers and members from any legal repercussions of the US trade restrictions targeting Huawei's businesses.

"As a result, we cannot use colleagues from Huawei as reviewers or Editors for the peer-review process of our journals [...] If we continue to do so, this may have severe legal implications." the organization wrote in a statement to its editors-in-chief, screenshots of which initially made rounds in China.

IEEE assured that despite the ban, its compliance with US trade restrictions should have minimal impact on its members around the world. Huawei and its employees can continue participation in other activities such as acquiring individual and corporate memberships and voting rights, submitting technical papers for publication, accessing the IEEE digital library, presenting at IEEE sponsored meetings and conferences, and accepting IEEE awards.

The decision faced backlash from a number of Chinese professors seeing it as an interference of politics in academic development and collaboration. Professor Haixia Zhang, from the School of Electronic and Computer Engineering at China's Peking University, announced her resignation from IEEE boards in protest.

"This is Haixia Zhang from Peking University, as an old friend and senior IEEE member, I am really shocked to hear that IEEE is involved in “US-Huawei Ban” for replacing all reviewers from Huawei, which is far beyond the basic line of Science and Technology which I was trainedand am following in my professional career till now."

"...But, today, this message from IEEE for “replacing all reviewers from Huawei in IEEE journals” is challenging my professional integrity. I have to say that, As a professor, I AM NOT accept this. Therefore, I decided to quit from IEEE NANO and IEEE JMEMS editorial board untill one day it come back to our common professional integrity."

How the rest of the academia and scientific bodies respond remains to be seen but as the US tightens its noose around Huawei, the global tech landscape is likely going to experience more changes because of the trade war between the two countries.

Permalink to story.

What an absolute joke, and all this without a single shred of evidence?!

How would america feel if the rest of the world starts sanctions against them based on some actual evidence like the wiretaps of the German chancellor or all the stuff in wikileaks etc. ?

This just shows that technological associations, allianz and institute have a political agenda. With that say, I am sure many tech companies and countries are now afraid of those entities and probably looking to create new ones without political agendas. We will soon see CE, China, India, Japan creating local entities in order to protected their industry from external political agendas. At the end we will have multiples entities doing nearly same and creating a variety of standards. Basically it gonna be a mess of standards. This ban should not be allowed and this entities should be free from any political influence.
Even this ban caused a loss in Google, Intel, Qualcomm. No more ad profit to google from Huawei, they will probably put baidu or something different. No more Qualcomm just inhouse processor, no intel just VIA processor. Trump, this is like shoot oneself in the foot.

Last edited:
This just shows that technological associations, allianz and institute have a political agenda. With that say, I am sure many tech companies and countries are now afraid of those entities and probably looking to create new ones without political agendas. We will soon see CE, China, India, Japan creating local entities in order to protected their industry from external political agendas. At the end we will have multiples entities doing nearly same and creating a variety of standards. Basically it gonna be a mess of standards. This ban should not be allowed and this entities should be free from any political influence.
Even this ban caused a loss in Google, Intel, Qualcomm. No more ad profit to google from Huawei, they will probably put baidu or something different. No more Qualcomm just inhouse processor, no intel just VIA processor. Trump, this is like shoot oneself in the foot.

Its not a political agenda. Whether they like it or not, agree with it or not, they have to comply with the US trade restrictions. For IEEE, I am sure they sat their legal council down and asked them 'what do we need to do to be compliant?' and I'm honestly amazed that it was only peer-reviewing that got canned.

The list Huawei got put on is the same on the same list that the US uses to block trade to dictators and the like.

Good. Good because their regime is growing obedient slaves.
If this was done to a civilized country, well then we ll talk what if.
But their paranoid spying regime deserves it.
I like Huawei, but they must suffer for the action of their barbaric government,
just like German people suffered from soviet army when those occupied their land.

If they don't want to be treated like this, then maybe they should try to live like the civilized world
or go back to harvesting rice and worshiping their bloody maniac whatever his name was,
while taking everything away from working class and forcing any hard working man to
run from China.

Ten years ago, I was invited as a visiting scholar at one of Beijing's top universities.
I have found out that too many Chinese postgraduate COPIED IEEE scholars' papers as their graduation thesis. I told the director about this and that they most of time ignored it.

It is too normal for Chinese students to copy IEEE papers and use them as their own, because they know that IEEE will not find out because of the Chinese language.

Good. Good because their regime is growing obedient slaves.
If this was done to a civilized country, well then we ll talk what if.
But their paranoid spying regime deserves it.
I like Huawei, but they must suffer for the action of their barbaric government,
just like German people suffered from soviet army when those occupied their land.

If they don't want to be treated like this, then maybe they should try to live like the civilized world
or go back to harvesting rice and worshiping their bloody maniac whatever his name was,
while taking everything away from working class and forcing any hard working man to
run from China.

Just wanted to say I fully agree. I honestly have never liked Trump at all and I've made it no secret to those close to me. That said, this is one of those decisions I totally stand by due to all the reasons you mentioned above. They think they can simply control their citizens by also controlling their flow of knowledge. If they want to be this way, shut their government off from the rest of the world like they do their own people.

Back