Iexplore.exe, I suspect virus or malware

Status
Not open for further replies.

neowing

Hello ? Techspot,

I recently changed internet connection: dial service into High speed internet.
Anyway, my problem is, when I clicked "Turn off computer" in Start menu, suddenly, computer is crashing and showed the message that "explore.exe" has a problem: It must be close to prevent malware and virus damage.

So I clicked. Next, the icons in the background suddenly disappear but it came back.
After that I re- "Turn off computer" again and the computer shut down.
This problem occurs continue from October to today,

----------------------
Add Information:
----------------------

After several research for my problem, I might think this is not the right section because I can't really figure out this is virus or just system problem even if the warning message showed up my screen.

I will attach jpg link when I go back home: the problems continue to showing when I try to shut down the computer.

Sorry for mis-reading information.

From
neowing.

Attachments

• hijackthis.log
    7.9 KB · Views: 7
  • mbam-log-2009-10-29.txt
    835 bytes · Views: 6
  • SUPERAntiSpyware Scan Log - 10-29-2009 - 18-28-37.log
    465 bytes · Views: 5
Hello ? Techspot.
I think I mis-read the information.
My problem is NOT "Iexplore.exe", correct one is "explore.exe"

And I also want to moderator to move my thread into "Windows" Section.
Once again, I am sorry for mis-read the information.

Thank you for replying, kimsland.
I am confusing about 1st step.
I don't have IE7 but I have IE6. Should I skip it ?

from
neowing

Well quoting MS from here: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/318378
Recommendation We recommend that you install the latest version of Internet Explorer, version 8. Installing the latest version of Internet Explorer will resolve several issues that were experienced in earlier versions of Internet Explorer. The latest version also includes the latest security, performance, and feature enhancements.
Actually which Service Pack are you running? XP SP...?
XP is up to SP3 and is working well
For the moment you can skip IE6 Reset (IE6 doesn't even have Tabs, its very old now)

Thanks neowing

Your log removed a couple of malwares that were likely downloaded with BitComet (BitTorrent Download Client)
Has this program now been fully removed/uninstalled ?
Filesharing applications are generally the most common applications that allow Malware to come into your computer

As it has been a week since your first scan with Malwarbytes
You will need to startup Malwarebytes again and run another quick scan (removing any found Malware as the end of the scan

Assuming you have now also updated Internet Explorer and also run a Reset on it
And updated any further outstanding Windows Security updates (there will be some from updating Internet Explorer, and there were a few MS updates in the last week as well)

You can also now uninstall SUPERAntispyware and reduce any further not required Startups (including visiting Add/Remove Programs and uninstalling not required programs)

Also referring to This Guide, remove all System Restore points
Then Restart and provide a fresh HJT scan and attach it to a new reply

Generally how is it performing now?
Are you still receiving "crashing" and "warning messages"

So sorry you had to go through all of that! I checked the images- mostly a waste of your time because they are copies of error reports to send to Microsoft.

The best way to find the cause of unexplained error like crashes and freezes- that will help find the cause and lead to resolution is to check the computer clock at time of event, then use Event Viewer to look for corresponding Error:

Start> Run> type in eventvwr

Do this on each the System and the Applications logs:
[1]. Click to open the log>
[2]. Look for the Error>
[3] .Right click on the Error> Properties>
[4]. Click on Copy button, top right, below the down arrow >
[5]. Paste here (Ctrl V)
[6].NOTES
  • You can ignore Warnings and Information Events.
  • If you have a recurring Error with same ID#, same Source and same Description, only one copy is needed.
  • You don't need to include the lines of code in the box below the Description, if any.
  • Please do not copy the entire Event log.

Errors are time coded. Check the computer clock on freeze or crash.

The Malwarebytes and Superantispyware logs were clean. I didn't check the first HijackThis log, but the second one is clean. Go ahead and check for the Errors while I finish checking the Combofix report- will meet you back here in a bit.

Tip: one reason for unexplained explore/exe crashes is if the hidden files and folders are showing:

Control Panel> Folder Options> View tab> UNCHECK 'shows hidden files and folders' (if checked)> Apply> OK.

Have you got a PCI-Express Video card installed?
If so uninstall (physically remove) the card, and boot off the onboard Video (that hopefully exists)
If this works, then uninstall all Video drivers, then shutdown and refit your addon Video card
Then download the most up to date drivers again

Please download SystemLook from one of the links below and save it to your Desktop.
Download Mirror #1
Download Mirror #2

• Double-click SystemLook.exe to run it.
  • Copy the content of the following codebox into the main textfield:
    Code:
    :filefind
    *atapi.sys
  • Click the Look button to start the scan.
  • When finished, a notepad window will open with the results of the scan. Please post this log in your next reply.
Note: The log can also be found on your Desktop entitled SystemLook.txt

I just have a new question regarding my infaction.

Currently, I have a folder that can't delete by regular method and "unlocker"
Is that part of Virus Infaction ?

Also, my computer still continuing the same problem that I mentioned when I started my thread.
But this time, when that problem occur, I restart (rebooting the computer) the windows and suddenly it asked me to choose 2 option: 1 is go back windows, other one is go to dos mod(?) or Protect mode (Not sure).

I am worrying if my hard drive will die: How do I check the condition of my hard drive ?
Do you think I should buy New Hard drive ? or wait more day to moderator's special instruction of remove the problem ? (I know everyone is busy to help others if I made you angry, sorry. I didn't mean I want to make you angry)

from
neowing.

My computer was used to be gateway computer but I changed everything.
So, this is custom build computer.

Video card is "PNY- NVidia GeForce 8600 GT"
That is the only one video card installed in my computer.

From
neowing.

I'd remove it
Blow out all internal dust (ideally with high pressurized air can)
Also blow out the Video card
Then re-mount it
Test if you still get "crashing" issues after that
I'm pretty sure its hardware related, but best to confirm no Malware etc (as you have already done)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back