iFixit offers $29 DIY iPhone battery replacement kits, calls Apple's solution a "temporary"...

Polycount

Staff

Apple has been at the center of no small amount of controversy lately, thanks to the recent iPhone CPU performance throttling debacle. Though the company has made it clear that their decision to slow down CPU performance was strictly intended to prolong the life of older iPhones and wasn't an attempt to perform "planned obsolescence," many device owners are still understandably outraged by the way Apple has handled the situation.

In a move likely intended to curb some of the negative PR the company has received, Apple recently published a formal apology, claiming the issue has largely been a misunderstanding between the company and its customers. In the same apology, Apple outlined their plans to offer $29 battery replacements to "anyone with an iPhone 6 or later" - a significant price drop from the company's previous $79 fee.

However, this decision doesn't go into effect until late January and other companies are already picking up the slack - specifically, device repair tool seller iFixit.

In a blog post, iFixit claimed Apple's proposed fix is "only temporary," noting that battery prices will simply increase again a year from now, leaving many iPhone owners in the same situation they're in now - not to mention the pickle iPhone owners who still use devices older than the iPhone 6 will find themselves in.

To rectify the situation, iFixit has decided to cut the prices of all of their iPhone battery replacement kits to $29 or less, effective immediately - directly matching or even undercutting Apple's solution. We've reached out to iFixit for comment on whether or not this price cut will be a permanent adjustment.

All of iFixit's iPhone repair kits come with "a custom driver, steel bits, opening tools, ESD-safe tweezers, and a new battery." The cheapest battery replacement kit comes in at $16.99 for the iPhone 4S with the iPhone 6S' kit costing $24.99.

Though iFixit's offer will undoubtedly appeal to many DIY-minded individuals, some iPhone owners may prefer to leave the process of replacing their phone's battery to Apple's trained professionals.

Permalink to story.

I would much rather have it professionally done for the same price. Taking these phones apart is a little tricky but putting them back together is a mega *****.

The iFixit kit comes with tools designed to make it as easy as possible and you can follow their video on how to do it. It's pretty bad when a 3rd party is offering a better solution than Apple after this fiasco.

This is the difference between Apple and Samsung, Apple has hundred of billions in the bank and can't even spare 5 million for batteries while samsung spent hundreds of millions to completely replace phones that may not even be affected. Steve Jobs is rolling in his grave right now, because when he was at the help, a mistake like this was completely unacceptable.

Lol at ifixit. There is no point buying these kits especially in 2018. Just take it to the apple store and let them do the replacement. The battery tabs might break even if you are careful. Avoid DIY as possible with current phones.

Batteries degrade over time. no one can stop that.

Last edited:
I would much rather have it professionally done for the same price. Taking these phones apart is a little tricky but putting them back together is a mega *****.

The iFixit kit comes with tools designed to make it as easy as possible and you can follow their video on how to do it. It's pretty bad when a 3rd party is offering a better solution than Apple after this fiasco.

This is the difference between Apple and Samsung, Apple has hundred of billions in the bank and can't even spare 5 million for batteries while samsung spent hundreds of millions to completely replace phones that may not even be affected. Steve Jobs is rolling in his grave right now, because when he was at the help, a mistake like this was completely unacceptable.

totally unrelated man. One is a battery degraded over time which is normal while the other one is exploding which is NOT normal. Why would Apple give you free replacement. Batteries are like car tires. If they get bald, do you think its a good idea for the manufacturer to replace your tires for free.

OT. Install "battery life" in the app store to check your battery life. It will tell you the condition of your battery.

totally unrelated man. One is a battery degraded over time which is normal while the other one is exploding which is NOT normal. Why would Apple give you free replacement. Batteries are like car tires. If they get bald, do you think its a good idea for the manufacturer to replace your tires for free.

OT. Install "battery life" in the app store to check your battery life. It will tell you the condition of your battery.

Um, many cars come with free tire changes so yeah.... because the manufacturer knows they will wear out before the end of the car's life.. Apple failed to mention their crap batteries will only last 500 cycles, or a year and a half at best. That's kind of important, given you are spending $800 and now $1,000 on flagship phones and they design their phones to be a PITA to repair. How many people would stop buying Apple if they knew they could only use it for a year 1/2 before they have to pay for expensive repairs?

Also, this isn't normal, FYI. Samsung's batteries last at least twice as many cycles as Apple's. Pretty much every other Smartphone's batteries degrade slower than Apples. The thing with Apple is they get sales mostly through brand and things like this damage that.

Um, many cars come with free tire changes so yeah.... because the manufacturer knows they will wear out before the end of the car's life.. Apple failed to mention their crap batteries will only last 500 cycles, or a year and a half at best. That's kind of important, given you are spending $800 and now $1,000 on flagship phones and they design their phones to be a PITA to repair. How many people would stop buying Apple if they knew they could only use it for a year 1/2 before they have to pay for expensive repairs?

Also, this isn't normal, FYI. Samsung's batteries last at least twice as many cycles as Apple's. Pretty much every other Smartphone's batteries degrade slower than Apples. The thing with Apple is they get sales mostly through brand and things like this damage that.

Please share a car company that gives free tires...

I have a ifixit kit that I used on my wifes iphone 5 years ago, as I said, it was a pain in the ***.

Also sounds like your just an apple hater

Steve Jobs is rolling in his grave right now, because when he was at the help, a mistake like this was completely unacceptable.
No offense because you and often wholeheartedly agree, but Jobs was the one who publicly proclaimed "You're holding it wrong" when the crApple antenna fiasco happened a few years back. When I read this story, all I could think of was that and the fact that they then, too, totally botched "a solution to the problem" and had to back-step up to the plate, admit it was their mistake, and offer a solution that actually solved the problem.

crApple, IMO, botched this one equally as well. Instead of owning it, they simply said, "we are going to fix it by throttling your phones." In other words, "Users, it is your fault! You're holding it wrong!" If Jobs were still alive, I could see him insisting on this half-assed solution first, before accepting that his precious makes big mistakes from time to time.

FYI You might be confusing "tire changes" with Tire rotation. Not sure who gives free tire for a car. Lol.

FYI, please link where you got the 500 cycles? My old iphone 6 plus has 779 cycles at 87.04% capacity. That's a 2 year old phone!

You think Samsung's battery last longer because you failed to mention that you are comparing two different capacities. Samsung always put bigger batteries and that's a plus to them. So please stop complaining when you really don't have a clue with apple products and just riding with the brand hate bandwagon. I

The battery lasts as long as any other lithium battery... about 2 years until it starts to degrade - but it still works after that...

The throttling thing is preferable to exploding phones (thanks for that Samsung), but yeah, it took someone leaking it for Apple to do anything about it...

As for iFixit - they're seeing their business about to die, so are attempting to profit quickly before Apple's program goes into effect in a month.

Why on Earth would you pay for a DIY kit when a "full service" solution will cost the same?!?! Not to mention if Apple breaks your phone, they'll fix it for free... but if you mess it up, you're up a creek....

That's like going to the gas station when it's 20 below, and seeing that full service and self service gas are the same price.... you going self service?

I have a ifixit kit that I used on my wifes iphone 5 years ago, as I said, it was a pain in the ***.

Wow, I must be good to get accused of being an Apple hater and Apple lover in the same thread.

FYI You might be confusing "tire changes" with Tire rotation. Not sure who gives free tire for a car. Lol.

FYI, please link where you got the 500 cycles? My old iphone 6 plus has 779 cycles at 87.04% capacity. That's a 2 year old phone!

You think Samsung's battery last longer because you failed to mention that you are comparing two different capacities. Samsung always put bigger batteries and that's a plus to them. So please stop complaining when you really don't have a clue with apple products and just riding with the brand hate bandwagon. I

https://www.google.com/search?q=free+tires+for+life&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-b-1-ab

Not only do some dealerships give out free tires, but some do free tires for life

"FYI, please link where you got the 500 cycles"

How about Apples own website?

https://www.apple.com/batteries/service-and-recycling/

Once it reaches 80%, Apple recommends that you recycle your phone as it may have issues during normal operation.

"My old iphone 6 plus has 779 cycles at 87.04% capacity. That's a 2 year old phone!"

Sounds like you shouldn't be commenting on a subject you know you are invested in, and thus will give bias answers to.

"You think Samsung's battery last longer because you failed to mention that you are comparing two different capacities."

Um, battery degradation and battery size have little in common. You are forgetting that iPhones typically have a bit better battery life than Samsung phones so technically the samsung phone should be going through more cycles and the battery should be more worn than the iPhone's.

I've provided links here to backup my opinion. I don't need to be told by same random iPhone user with zero objective data that I'm just a bandwaggener when you are clearly invested.

No offense because you and often wholeheartedly agree, but Jobs was the one who publicly proclaimed "You're holding it wrong" when the crApple antenna fiasco happened a few years back. When I read this story, all I could think of was that and the fact that they then, too, totally botched "a solution to the problem" and had to back-step up to the plate, admit it was their mistake, and offer a solution that actually solved the problem.

crApple, IMO, botched this one equally as well. Instead of owning it, they simply said, "we are going to fix it by throttling your phones." In other words, "Users, it is your fault! You're holding it wrong!" If Jobs were still alive, I could see him insisting on this half-assed solution first, before accepting that his precious makes big mistakes from time to time.

I think you're missing the part where Jobs didn't really want to do that. Go read up on the guy, he was a perfectionist. He had to do that because he was forced and he did it the way he did because that's his personality. No one said the guy didn't have a prickly personality, it is very well known.

My tires came with a 5 year warranty from tireman.

I just had all 4 replaced, at the 5th year of the warranty, because the tread was worn out.

If your warranty covers it, you can get it done.

Wow, I must be good to get accused of being an Apple hater and Apple lover in the same thread.

https://www.google.com/search?q=free+tires+for+life&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-b-1-ab

Not only do some dealerships give out free tires, but some do free tires for life

Once it reaches 80%, Apple recommends that you recycle your phone as it may have issues during normal operation.

"My old iphone 6 plus has 779 cycles at 87.04% capacity. That's a 2 year old phone!"

Sounds like you shouldn't be commenting on a subject you know you are invested in, and thus will give bias answers to.

"You think Samsung's battery last longer because you failed to mention that you are comparing two different capacities."

Um, battery degradation and battery size have little in common. You are forgetting that iPhones typically have a bit better battery life than Samsung phones so technically the samsung phone should be going through more cycles and the battery should be more worn than the iPhone's.

I've provided links here to backup my opinion. I don't need to be told by same random iPhone user with zero objective data that I'm just a bandwaggener when you are clearly invested.

I think you're missing the part where Jobs didn't really want to do that. Go read up on the guy, he was a perfectionist. He had to do that because he was forced and he did it the way he did because that's his personality. No one said the guy didn't have a prickly personality, it is very well known.

Thats a dealership not a car maker. Thats like the mall kiosk giving you a battery warranty.

My tires came with a 5 year warranty from tireman.

I just had all 4 replaced, at the 5th year of the warranty, because the tread was worn out.

If your warranty covers it, you can get it done.

Tireman? Sounds like a tireshop not a auto maker like Ford. Of course you can add a warranty or buy tires with a warranty from a dealer or tireshop. But the maker is not giving free tires, its an incentive paid for by the selling party

Of course its temporary, unless you can get around the technological limitations of science and make current battery tech not degrade over time. But then if you did, you would be a trillionaire so this would be the least of your "worries".

I installed that on an old iphone 4s with a extremely bad battery that only lasts maybe 20 mins with screen on use of browsing. The app swings rapidly in all directions and never actually tells the real battery condition since sometimes it says 70% good then other times 10% good.

OMG. Are you blind? Where is it in your link that it needs to be replaced/recycle at 80%? Do you know what are you talking about. The 80 percent at 500 cycle is a projected performance indicator of the battery at a given time. Batteries degrade over time and that is normal. period.

Your opinion sucks because you are giving false information and a terrible comparison between Samsung. The moment you compared the situation with Samsung, I know you don't have a clue what is this all about and just want to sail with the hate bandwagon.

Thats a dealership not a car maker. Thats like the mall kiosk giving you a battery warranty.

I'd just like to point out that all dealerships offer warranties and other services on their cars.

"Thats like the mall kiosk giving you a battery warranty."

Not really, as explained above, it is common for car dealerships to offer warranties and other additional services. The same is not common for mall kiosks.

OMG. Are you blind? Where is it in your link that it needs to be replaced/recycle at 80%? Do you know what are you talking about. The 80 percent at 500 cycle is a projected performance indicator of the battery at a given time. Batteries degrade over time and that is normal. period.

Your opinion sucks because you are giving false information and a terrible comparison between Samsung. The moment you compared the situation with Samsung, I know you don't have a clue what is this all about and just want to sail with the hate bandwagon.

"Your battery is designed to retain up to 80% of its original capacity at 500 complete charge cycles."

3rd paragraph from the top. Also, keep insulting me personally and I will report your posts to the mods.

Additional Proof
https://www.apple.com/iphone-battery-and-performance/

"A chemically aged battery also becomes less capable of delivering peak energy loads, especially in a low state of charge, which may result in a device unexpectedly shutting itself down in some situations."

Going below 80% results in a device that isn't able to prove adequate peak voltage and can lead to unexpected shutdowns.

Last edited:
I'd just like to point out that all dealerships offer warranties and other services on their cars.

Not really, as explained above, it is common for car dealerships to offer warranties and other additional services. The same is not common for mall kiosks.

"Your battery is designed to retain up to 80% of its original capacity at 500 complete charge cycles."

3rd paragraph from the top. Also, keep insulting me personally and I will report your posts to the mods.

Additional Proof

"A chemically aged battery also becomes less capable of delivering peak energy loads, especially in a low state of charge, which may result in a device unexpectedly shutting itself down in some situations."

Going below 80% results in a device that isn't able to prove adequate peak voltage and can lead to unexpected shutdowns.

Lol. you really don't have a clue. "Going below 80% results in a device that isn't able to prove adequate peak voltage and can lead to unexpected shutdowns." -> These are not from Apple. You made this statement by stitching two links and it is an assumption.

Go on. report it to mods. Insulting personally? Oh cut that BS. Your personal opinions are wrong information and you want to keep them as facts.

After seeing Steve Jobs: The Lost Interview - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2104994/?ref_=nv_sr_5
which was filmed between the time he was fired from crApple and then rehired, I tend to disbelieve anything that paints him in golden lights.

The interview strikes me as perhaps his humblest of interviews. In it, he outright admits that he went to Xerox PARC and stole their ideas. A perfectionist, maybe. Someone with high ethical standards, though, I highly doubt. He was the CEO of the company, and as such, was in a position to go against the board. What did he have to lose? Certainly not his fortune. In the end, what he did hurt crApples' reputation.

IMO, no one with a good moral compass unwillingly does things that go against that compass under any circumstances.

Last edited:
After seeing Steve Jobs: The Lost Interview - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2104994/?ref_=nv_sr_5
which was filmed between the time he was fired from crApple and then rehired, I tend to disbelieve anything that paints him in golden lights.

The interview strikes me as perhaps his humblest of interviews. In it, he outright admits that he went to Xerox PARC and stole their ideas. A perfectionist, maybe. Someone with high ethical standards, though, I highly doubt. He was the CEO of the company, and as such, was in a position to go against the board. What did he have to lose? Certainly not his fortune. In the end, what he did hurt crApples' reputation.

IMO, no one with a good moral compass unwillingly does things that go against that compass under any circumstances.

I agree. I just wanted to point out what that what was being said wasn't consistent with his personality. He didn't mind telling people they are holding it wrong because he has a good moral compass, he was annoyed by it because he's a brutal perfectionist. Of course, this is just my opinion based of what I know of the man.

Lol. you really don't have a clue. "Going below 80% results in a device that isn't able to prove adequate peak voltage and can lead to unexpected shutdowns." -> These are not from Apple. You made this statement by stitching two links and it is an assumption.

Go on. report it to mods. Insulting personally? Oh cut that BS. Your personal opinions are wrong information and you want to keep them as facts.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/7656542
http://www.redmondpie.com/how-to-check-iphone-battery-charge-cycle-count-no-jailbreak-required/
http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/how_to_prolong_lithium_based_batteries

There are plenty of Apple forum users showing their currently cycle count and battery health. The batteries output voltage drops as it ages and as it increases in cycles.

This is the difference between Apple and Samsung, Apple has hundred of billions in the bank and can't even spare 5 million for batteries while samsung spent hundreds of millions to completely replace phones that may not even be affected.
this

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/7656542
http://www.redmondpie.com/how-to-check-iphone-battery-charge-cycle-count-no-jailbreak-required/
http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/how_to_prolong_lithium_based_batteries

There are plenty of Apple forum users showing their currently cycle count and battery health. The batteries output voltage drops as it ages and as it increases in cycles.

Here we are again in circles. You are missing the point and at the same time contradicting yourself with your google search links. In your first post, you are saying that batteries should be replaced for free. I argued why would a manufacturer replace them for free if in the first place the battery is degraded over time which is NORMAL. Batteries are consumables. They are like tires and brake pads (unless again you start to argue that there are free tires, there is no such free thing in the world, we call that insurance or 3rd party warranty which you paid with/without knowing it from the stealership (uhum dealership) or do you even own a car?) . What apple did is just throttle phones that has degraded batteries. They did have the good intention so that people will not charge multiple times a day and prolong battery life in return performance will take a hit. The only wrong they did is they did not inform Apple users (not whining android users like you) about this throttling. So those people who have old batteries or degraded batteries still enjoy long battery life but then they started to notice slowness in their devices especially when they updated it to the ios 10.3.x (old models) and 11.2 with A9 devices. This is really a bad move but the intention has a good merit. I still believe they should make a built-in battery wear level in the settings and at the same time a toggle switch for batteries with critical weal level to switch between Normal usage or Conserve battery life. I firmly believe this is a good feature for people who have DEGRADED BATTERIES and don't want to invest in new batteries or dont mind MHz numbers.

So to straighten out. battery do not last. even your precious samsung. there are many factors that affects battery capacity or loss of capacity (cycle count is an indicator!). people have different way on how they charge or use the phones so comparing them with similar or different models is BS. I hope you stop misleading people with your google search.

Last edited:

Additional Proof

Your not getting it. Apple doesnt warrany batteries and Ford doesnt warranty tires or brake pads. Now a kiosk may warranty a battery and a dealership may offer a milage warranty on tires or itregular brake bad wear. But those are not warranties from the factory, they are 3rd party offered by the dealership. You cannot get a factory warranty for batteries, tires or brake pads. It doesnt exist as they are consumables, they are meant to wear out over time and are illogical to warranty. A dealership or kiosk wants to keep you as a costumer so they will create these warranties to provide peace or mind and take a gamble you may never need it.

Back