I'm very concerned about my laptop

This problem has occurred here and 2 weeks or so. It does not happen everyday but lately it happens almost everyday and I'm so worried. (I'm not much of a computer expert so I don't know what it could be)
Also I bought the computer from a retailer and sadly the warranty is expired.

When I press the button to turn on my computer, while it is about to boot it shuts down immediately. The lights blink normally and when it shuts down they close also. There is no beeps or anything and neither the screen turns on. This might happen for 1, 2 or even 3 times. Later it boots normally and it doesn't give me any safe mode error in case I had an unexpected shutdown. It boots normally.

I have noticed that the problem usually occurs if I leave my computer inactive for many hours and I turn it on later. I also let it to rest for a day and nothing.I'm worried though, it's my only laptop and I'm trying to figure out what it could be.I have never opened my computer to clean it, I don't know how to do it in case that there is dust in some device.All I was ever using on my computer was a small fan to cool the system. I also changed the power adapter and it still happens.

What do you think?

Sounds like it is not finding the MBR.

Plug in the A/C charger - - it's death if you power off during this process.

*IF* you can get it to begin booting, strike the F8 once per second until you get to a b&w vga screen - - pick the Safe Mode boot.

Login as admin

run CHKDSK C: /F /R

This may run for more than an hour - - go for coffee or even out to dinner with a friend (ie: keep your hands off the system).

Thank you for the reply. I will try that.

But by meaning 'death'... Is it possible to shut down during the process and terminate the system for good? I'm not that good with computers so that worries me a little.

Once you have begun the CHKDSK process, you will cry many tears *IF* you do not allow it to complete.

Then, I could use both the battery and charger in case something happens, right?
Sorry to bug you more, it's probably more likely software-related issue rather hardware, correct?

And thank you.

Sorry - - I'm going to be parochial here - - follow the instructions :)

Actually sounds like the hard drive could be on it's way out. It could be temporarily inaccessible during a cold boot, which would explain the symptoms you speak of. Perhaps because it's locked up. This can happen when a hard drive is about to die.

Once you get your system up and running, you could try running CrystalDiskInfo (Google it. It's a free program) to check the status of your hard drive. It will check the SMART status of the hard drive and display you a warning if it finds anything wrong. If it shows you a CAUTION status, the hard drive is definitely on its way out.

It could still be the hard drive, but it just hasn't been confirmed for sure. Considering your symptoms, I can't think of anything else it would be.

If it was a desktop system, I'd tell you to swap out the SATA cable but obviously that's not possible here. There could be a connection issue between the hard drive and the SATA controller.

So, in this case what can I do? Handle it to a technician and replace the hard drive or is it something I can do on my own?

Hard drive replacement is possible on your end, however if you don't have factory recovery discs or a retail Windows installation disc, you're not going to be able to reinstall Windows onto the new drive. The easiest way to do this is to use drive imaging software to take a snapshot of your current hard drive and store the image onto another storage medium (e.g. an external hard drive), then install the new hard drive and copy the image over to it.

Since you have stated that you're not very good with computers, taking it to a technician sounds like a good idea if it's something you can afford. Any good technician will run diagnostic utilities on your system to flesh out the issue (which I do think is related to the hard drive).

Sadly I do not have a Windows installation disc. And sounds a little complicated so I suppose I will take it to a technician. At least I hope it does not costs that much as the replacement of a RAM or motherboard.

Thank you for your answer.

Back