IMac C2D in a pc

Status
Not open for further replies.

Technochicken

Are the core2 duo's in iMacs removable, and are they socket 775, or a special imac socket type? I'd like to take the core2 duo out of this broken imac at my school and stick it in my pc to replace my PD 925

I am pretty sure that they don't use LGA 775, but use laptop socket processors I could be wrong on this though.

I was looking on Wikipedia and it states that the intel Imacs use SO DIMM RAM, which is used in laptops, so this further makes me think that it will not be a 775 socket Processor.

i knew about the ram, but thats to bad, because they have pretty nice core2 duos- at least a lot better than a PD

Apples and Oranges Ride Again.....

This is true of the older Pentium "D" CPUs. The 9XX series. However, the new "Pentium Dual Core" CPUs are based in Conroe cores, (they call them Conroe 1M (for 1 MB cache)), and they're essentially the same CPUs that Apple is using. In the Mac Mini they're probably Intel mobile based CPUs.The moral of the story here is, you don't need to consider swapping out a Apple CPU, which would possibly give you all sorts of problems, just spring for one of the new E2XXX Pentium Dual Cores such as this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819116052

Seventy bucks worth of pure dynamite. These little CPUs will pretty much take the measure of an old Pent "D" on only 65 watts of power.

They call these "Allendale" cores, I don't think they are, most polling programs call them "Conroe 1MB", as I mentioned earlier.

Intel isn't giving Apple anything they don't duplicate in their own boxed CPU line for Windows based machines. You might have to do some interpolation, but I'm sure whatever you might want to obtain, it's there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back