Impressive custom case, barely larger than Xbox One, fits GTX 1080 SLI

Scorpus

Staff member

A Reddit user has spent more than $3,000 designing and manufacturing a custom small form factor PC case, which is the highlight of a build that's extremely powerful yet extraordinarily compact.

Lukasz Dyjakon, an Australian who wanted the best possible compact gaming system, used the services of Protocase to create a custom PC enclosure for his powerful components. Measuring just 30 x 30 x 10 centimeters, the entire build is barely larger than an Xbox One console, which features relatively compact dimensions of 33 x 27 x 8 centimeters.

This system is much, much more powerful than an Xbox One though. The case manages to cram in two Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080 Founders Edition cards in SLI, using the blower design to intake air from the right side and vent it out the back. The other side features the CPU, an Intel Core i7-6700K, along with 32 GB of DDR4, two SSDs for more than a terabyte of storage, and a slim Noctua cooler.

The entire price of the system came to over 7,300 Canadian dollars ($5,600 USD), which is quite expensive for this sort of system. However, it's sure to be one of the most powerful systems of its size, and will complement a 4K monitor or television well.

More images of the system can be found here, and there's a full part and price breakdown on the Reddit thread for this system.

Permalink to story.

That cable management though, It's impeccable. These tiny builds are always impressive, just a little too pricy most of the time. I'm curious about the real word temps you'd see in such a high-end tiny build.

Impressive, but you know that thing is going to be hotter than a nuclear reactor.

Having a big case (and subsequently cooler components) is not a big deal to me. It all sits under the desk anyway.

The only thing that looks bad to me is the sli bridges, wish he had a prettier solution there. The rest of it looks so nice it kind of detracts.

Gorgeous. But it has to be hot. And if not, then it has to be loud. Which won't complement a TV well. Great innovation though, especially the power supply and extending the PCI ports.

Next headline, "Flat burns down due to stupid SLI SFF PC".

Waste of time and money. No matter how well done.

Think you meant Australian dollars not Canadian (though they are almost the same value at the moment).

Impressive build, I'm sure it could double as a space heater in the colder months.

Yeah its nice and all but I would still rather have my big coolermaster 922 case......the CPU is this has no place to vent other then right on to the voltage regulators......

The single back air exhaust is likely a heat furnace. three front intake fans.
very nice cable management there. (I have poor cable management skills)

32GB memory! wow! my dirty mind tells me tons of prawn picture browsing = no hiccups. ;)

I'm surprised he didn't use a M2 SSD or something.
Those suckers get pretty hot if you don't have air blowing over them constantly. My guess is he felt he couldn't get the airflow high enough to justify it, and that getting 1TB of (presumably RAID0) SSD storage seemed a better option.

I presume that little riser style card label Ultra II is something he custom made to enable him to mount the GPUs at the rear

How did I not see this sooner? Everything about this thing makes me happy just looking at it, though my only design change would have been making it a cm or two wider and a few cm taller to incorporate 80mm fans. The case is exactly 8cm wide so I don't think it has the internal width for 80mm fans (I see a tiny amount of space between the fan and the lip of the case). Going up 10mm in fan size doesn't seem like a lot but it changes several things including the general blade design.

Still, hot damn that's a nice setup.

Back