In Need Help with Computer!

Status
Not open for further replies.

asking79

Hello everyone. I'm new here, and in need of some help. A couple of days ago my computer just started restarting out of the blue. No blue screen, no black screen, just restarting about every 20-30 minutes a couple times maybe up to an hour or so. Then it got to where it was just restarting without even making it to the Windows screen. I've been reading this site as it's a pretty reliable site. So I tried some suggestions from past articles before making a new thread. I updated some stuff, removed some programs, ran diagnostics, anti-virus/spyware/malware programs all with no results. After getting some minor updates last night for Microsoft Office 2007 finally it stayed on and worked great!! I thought that maybe somehow those updates were all I needed. I got up this morning and it was still on. Great!! No, not so great. I clicked the internet link to log on, and bam it restarted again not even making it to the windows start up screen. So I tried another thing I read which said to unplug everything from the computer including the power cord excluding the monitor. Hold the power button for 10 seconds, then plug in the power cord, power up and after a complete start up start plugging in everything else to see what's causing the error. So I did this, and now my computer won't even come back on. I'll post up the specifics below. I haven't downloaded anything except Office 2007 and another program Open Office for my college. I removed Open Office and got the updates to Office 2007 lastnight as I said earlier. Other than that no downloads, and the computer has been running great. I run CA (Compter Associates) anti-virus everynight and the anti-spyware runs at start up and at night. I also have the CA Firewall, Malwarebytes, Super Anti-Spyware, Advanced SystemCare Pro and CCleaner. I've ran all these and came back with only a few "low risk" spywares which I got rid of.

HP Pavilion s7320n Slimline PC
Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005
CPU: Intel Celeron M Processor
CPU Speed: 1600MHz/400MHz
Cache Ram: 1024KB
Motherboard:
Manufacturer: Asus
Name: PTGV-DM
HP/Compaq name: Onyx2-GL8E
Ram:
1GB - (2x512)
Speed supported: PC2-4200 (runs at 3000)
Type: 240 pin, DDR2 SDRAM
Chipset:
Intel 82915 G/GV/910 GL Express

It says Uninterupted Power Supply not sure what this is.

Also in Event Viewer I found the following errors:
Error: userenv 1041 SYSTEm
Warning: MsiInstaller 1015 Administrator
Warning: Userenv 1524 Administrator
Error: DCOM 10005 Administrator
Error: Service Control Manager 7026 N/A
Error: Service Control Manager 7001 N/A
Error: ntfs 55 N/A DISK

If anyone can help out I would greatly appreciate it. My wife uses this computer everyday for her college courses.

Thanks!!

Just a preliminary guess, but I don't think it is software/OS related. It seems to be hardware related, and the most typical of those are PSU or RAM. RAM doesn't typically just die on you, so if it worked well before it probably isn't the RAM. So my best guess at this point is the power supply (PSU), but its a preliminary guess of course. Unfortunately there isn't any real way to test it, you can only replace.

Maybe somebody else will post with other suggestions before you buy a new PSU.

Could it be the mobo battery? I faced the exact issue and replacing the battery seemed to be the solution.

Yeah, thanks for the response. This happened once before and it was covered with dust so I cleaned it out and it worked great. This time there was just a little dust. It has been running great, I've never had any problems with it except for the one I just mentioned. Now I can't even get it to turn on so I don't know. I am assuming PSU, but hopefully others will give some feedback.

Just wanted to add another note. When I push the power button the green light on the back of the computer on the PSU flashes as long as I am pushing the power button, but the computer will not power on.

I changed the battery and it didn't make any differences.

I had this exact problem with a customer. He complained he computer kept resetting. No BSOD, just blank screen. Finally opened up the case and the inside was coated in dust and dog hair. He has two dogs! I used more than a full can of compressed air to clean it out. The PSU was clogged with dust and hair. Replaced the PSU and it worked fine. I then told him to get rid of the dogs or clean his PC with compressed air on a regular basis.

You mentioned your PC got full of dust once already. It's probably your PSU that clogged with dust. Replace the PSU.

-- Andy

Yeah, it was dusty but it was no where near that bad! The PSU isn't dusty either. It had a little but not much. The time I referred to before was a year ago or so and I had the computer for several years until I cleaned it out. Haven't had a problem again until now, and it wasn't even very dusty. It is a compact computer, a little slimline. I've only had it for about 5 years.

Update: I plugged that computer back in for a bit and now that green light on the PSU is flashing again. Wierd.

Still, if the comptuer shuts off with no BSOD and the power light is out, its a PSU problem. If the computer resets without BSOD, it's likely a PSU power interruption.

Either way, swap the PSU and see if the problem disappears.

-- Andy

Well, after plugging it back in and letting it sit for a while the light on the PSU is again flashing. Also I did forget to mention that before all this happened I did get a message when the computer restarted say ""Sorry for the Inconvenience, but Windows Failed to Start Successfully." When I turned it off, I unplugged everything including PSU and held the power button for 10 seconds as I read on the HP site, after this it wouldn't come back on.

PSU is Toast!

Well, after plugging it back in and letting it sit for a while the light on the PSU is again flashing.

BINGO!! Your PSU is defective! The PSU LED is not supposed to flash. It should stay solid. The most it can do is go our slowly when you power off. But it should not flash. If it is, then the PSU is defective.

Replace the PSU.

-- Andy

I was kind of assuming it was the PSU. I am wondering though, the computer was starting and restarting, which is a common problem when you have a failing PSU, now it just won't even turn on. So, could this be more than just the PSU? I'm looking into getting a new one, just don't want to spend the money and it not fix the problem.

asking79, it is the PSU, no questions about it! Spend the money because it's the only way to make you computer work now!

The computer was restarting because the PSU was starting to fail. Now the computer doens't start at all because the PSU is DEAD!! It's a boat anchor now!!

Remove it, take it to the store and they will sell you a comparable one.

-- Andy

asking79, it is the PSU, no questions about it! Spend the money because it's the only way to make you computer work now!

The computer was restarting because the PSU was starting to fail. Now the computer doens't start at all because the PSU is DEAD!! It's a boat anchor now!!

Remove it, take it to the store and they will sell you a comparable one.

-- Andy

i agree with almcneil change out the psu.

Thank you for the responses. I understand that I need a new PSU. What I meant was I just hope that's all I need and that there's no other issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back