[In Progress] Content encoding error

Status
Not open for further replies.

BobDylan

Hi there,

I recently had some problems with my computer and seeked some help here:
https://www.techspot.com/vb/topic167206.html

As far as I know, my computer was fixed, but since being sorted my computer has still be acting a little strangly.

The main thing I have observed is when I try and go on certain web pages (using firefox) sometimes the following message pops up:

"Content Encoding Error

The page you are trying to view cannot be shown because it uses an invalid or unsupported form of compression.

Please contact the web site owners to inform them of this problem."

It offers me an option to 'Try Again', which sometimes works. This message even appears when I go on google.co.uk.

A different but similar message popped up when I tried to log into Twitter. Not sure what that message was. After that, I couldn't log out of twitter!

On facebook I have noticed that photo's don't really work, the pics were messed up (four smaller mixed up pics, rather than the usual 1).

Google maps doesn't seem to be working. Websites also don't load properly, I have to refresh a lot of times.

Does anyone have an idea what the problem may be?

edit: I have been able to access my hotmail account today, but it seems I can't anymore (or at the moment anyway). In both IE and firefox I get to the hotmail page, but after entering my details the page goes white (with the address still at the top) but the page isn't loading up.

Thanks in advance.

certain web pages (using firefox)

"Content Encoding Error">> See "this is a known problem, we're working on it. This is specific to FireFox 3."

http://support.mozilla.com/en-US/questions/754411
http://www.icyphoenix.com/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=4646
http://drupal.org/node/440182

And finally: The fix for Firefox:
1) In the address bar type about:config
2) Tell it that you will be careful, Promise!!
3) In the filter type encoding
4) There should be one option reading network.http.accept-encoding
5) Click in the value column and type true
6) This should fix it.

Hi, I followed your instructions. So far, the message hasn't appeared again. But I still can't access my hotmail account, other website appear strange too. For example, BBC.co.uk has all the proper links and pictures, but the layout is all wrong, it is all on a basic white background. Sames goes for other sites, such as this forum!

I also cleared cache's and cookies.

Googlemaps worked briefly, but isn't anymore.

Maybe these problems are two seperate issues?

EDIT: When I pressed refresh a lot of times trying to get the hotmail page to work, one time it said:

"An error occurred during a connection to secure.shared.live.com:443.

SSL received a record with an incorrect Message Authentication Code.

(Error code: ssl_error_bad_mac_read)"

EDIT X 2:

On hotmail this showed up:

"Secure Connection Failed

An error occurred during a connection to login.live.com.

SSL received a record that exceeded the maximum permissible length.

(Error code: ssl_error_rx_record_too_long)

The page you are trying to view cannot be shown because the authenticity of the received data could not be verified.

Please contact the web site owners to inform them of this problem. Alternatively, use the command found in the help menu to report this broken site. "

Again, with the try again option.

For the Secure Connection:

Open Firefox> Tools> Options> Advanced> Encryption tab> Be sure both SSL 3,0 and TLS 1.0 are checked.

Everything was working OK yesterday, I can't help but think the problems have started since I downloaded a few things today.

Today, I downloaded:

ZoneAlarm Security
SpyBot
TFC
Spyware blaster

Remove TFC. We pulled it from the steps because of a problem.

Zone Alarm has also been known to create an occasional problem. Since you have the time line of system okay before you downloaded these programs, you can do one of these:

1. Since you created a restore point before each of these downloads, do a system restore back to the point right before you did the downloads. If that resolves the error, then add back each of the programs- except TFC-until you find the cause- if any.
2. If you didn't remember to set the restore points, uninstall all 4 of the programs, then reinstall them back-except TFC- one at a time until you find the cause- if any.

Did you read the reference sites I left? My guess is the Zone Alarm firewall- a setting that may need to be changed.

Remove TFC. We pulled it from the steps because of a problem.

Hi, sorry, first things first, I'm not entirely sure I have done this bit right!

Basically, when I go to 'Disk Clean Up' I can't see TFC listed! So am not sure how to do it properly. But I have located where I have the TFC files, C:Downloads, where I have TFC(1), TFC(2), and TFC. I have deleted them. So I presume (or hope!) that I have deleted that programe correctly.

I will continue the other steps you have said and continue to edit this post with updates of my progress (so you don't keep getting email notifications!)

TFC was showing as a program file. Did you check Add/Remove Programs in the Control Panel? That would be the actual uninstallation, then follow with deleting the program folders using Windows Explorer.

TFC was showing as a program file. Did you check Add/Remove Programs in the Control Panel? That would be the actual uninstallation, then follow with deleting the program folders using Windows Explorer.

Hi there,

No I didn't remove TFC through add/remove progams in the control panel, because I couldn't see it. I just had another look and couldn't see it again. I searched for it and it showed up in my downloads section, so I deleted the icons there, but I guess that isn't enough? Have you any idea what else it might be called? TFC def doesn't show up.

My computer seems to be working OK at present. Strangly, there only seems to be one website that I visit that still isn't showing up correctly (ie. the layout is all wrong, the links and pics just appear on a white background). Other than that, all other website are working better (including hotmail).... So it's difficult to know if my comp is still playing up!

Strangly, there only seems to be one website that I visit that still isn't showing up correctly (ie. the layout is all wrong, the links and pics just appear on a white background).

Consider the possibility that there may be a problem on that site or there may be work in progress on it. IT doesn't always have to be your problem!
=================================
5 days ago, you told me this:
Today, I downloaded:
ZoneAlarm Security
SpyBot
TFC
Spyware blaster

And you told me this:
Basically, when I go to 'Disk Clean Up' I can't see TFC listed!

TFC- Temporary File Cleaner is a downloaded program.

The Windows Operating system allows you to delete temporary internet files:
Access Internet Options through Tools in IE or through the Control Panel> General tab> Click on Delete in the temporary internet file section.
or
Right click on Start> Explore> My Computer> Right click on Local Drive (C)> Properties> Click on Disc Cleanup> after it calculates the space, a small screen will open allowing you to choose what you want to clean up> temporary internet files are one of the choices.

Did you not understand that TFC, the program was a download and deleting temporary internet files can be done just in the OS? The problem I mentioned was found in the TFC Program.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back