[Inactive] Log On Log Off Loop - IE not working prior - Restore and Now need help

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok... here is the scene:

On Jan 2nd our computer would not log onto Internet Explorer. We did a virus scan with SpyBot and Norton. Turned up a few and corrected a few (did not correct Downloader.Misleadapp). Ran again and this time 2 came up - a Tracking Cookie and the Downloader.misleadapp. It did NOT clean either.

After a couple of days of not getting online through our desktop, (we can still access online viw our laptop), I decided to try a System Restore (Programs, Accessories, System Tools, System Restore). I picked the date of 12/28/09. It mentioned something about an E drive which I think is our portable hard drive which was not connected at the time. I looked at my computers and there was no E Drive. I then did the restore and now I can not get on my computer. It loads up Windows XP and then our log on screen appears. I click on my name (or my husband or Admin) and put in the pass word. It begins to log on - it sometimes goes to the "picture scene" where our icons are normally displayed (no icons though) It makes the log on sounds, it sits a minute, makes the log off sound, says it is saving and then logs off to the user selection screen. If you attempt to log on again it doses it over and over and will not let you log on.

I can access my data from my lap top so I know the data on my computer is still there. It just won''t let me on my desktop.

We have tried several things.. The windows XP disk, the checkdisk from safe mode. NOTE: it will NOT let us on in safe mode either.

I am in a panic mode and can not solve this. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks!

Try performing an XP Repair:
XP Repair Install

Follow the directions. You will need an XP install disc...

I personally would delete the existing partition and do a "fresh" XP install, but you would loose all programs and data... Something most people won't want

Prefer not to do a full data deletion if possible.

We have ALOT of data and programs on the desktop - we are a business - thus if a repair is possible without a full redo, this would be better.

I believe that we tried the repair as indicated and it did not work.

Any other thoughts?

I wonder if there is something in some startup/login area that is set to log you off. Try entering your password and then holding shift before you hit enter. Keep holding shift as it logs in and see if that keeps it from logging off. If that works then there is a script or shortcut telling the machine to log off in startup.

I have exactly the same problem as you csommer.. except to make things worse.. im using an hp mini which has no cd drive! I read somewhere that theres a registry file missing and by networking it to a clean computer, it can be fixed by putting that file back.. but I lost the solution!!
Please HELP!!!

You have posted in he Virus and Malware forum. This is where we attempt to find and clean out malware.

Description of Downloader.Misleadapp
  • It is a a generic detection for programs that download misleading applications on to the compromised computer.
  • A more common name is TrojanFake AV a detection for Trojan horse programs that intentionally misrepresent the security status of a computer
  • You receive fake alerts of malware to tempt you into downloading their program to remove it.
  • You can get infected visiting Web sites that attempt to convince you to remove non-existent malware or security risks from their computers by installing the bogus software.
  • The Trojan can also be installed by other malware, drive-by downloads, and when downloading and installing other software.
  • The programs may also be downloaded on to the computer by other even more serious threats such as Virut.
Maybe you got an 'alert' such as this:
2007-101013-3606-99.1.JPG

• [*] Payload: Lowers security settings on the compromised computer.
    [*] Causes System Instability: May perform actions that prevents the user from accessing certain programs on the computer.

If you used a flash drive while the malware infection was on the system, it's possible that the flash drive has become infected and that is why you see reference to the E drive.

I suggest that you disinfect the flash drive as follows,:
  • Threat Removal Procedure:
    [1]. Download Flash_Disinfector and save it to your Desktop.
    [2]. After downloading, double-click on Flash_Disinfector to run it.
    [3]. Just follow the prompts and continue until it begin scanning.
    flash-disinfector.jpg

[4]. If asked to insert your flash drive or any removable device including USB Pen Drive and Memory Stick, please do so.
    [5]. It will scan removable drives, wait for the scan to finish. Done.

Once that has been done, try to booth from the Recovery Console in the operating system CD. If you can get into the system, use the now clean flash drive to download Malwarebytes and install it on the problem system. IT should remove enough so that you can get back in and run additional cleaning programs.

NOTE: If you haven't backed up your important data, now is not a good time to do it. If the files are infected and you later put the backup back on the clean system, it will reinfect it.

As for doing the System Restore: the danger of doing that when there is or has been a malware infection, is that if the date chosen has the malware infection, you can reinfect the system.

Since you indicate that you can access the data from another computer, it means you have file sharing enabled. Be very cautious using it as you can end up with all the computers on the network becoming infected. But since you can access the desktop data, you can look in the Event Viewer so see if there is any corresponding Error event to the time when you get the failed log on

Hey Bobbeye,

Thanks for the really quick reply AND the threat removal procedure.. will be doing that right after this..I'm not actually able to access the data from another computer. It was a solution that i came across on the web but now can't find it anywhere.. i made the mistake of not saving it! I'm telling u.. mistake after mistake..:(
My hp mini doesn't have a cd drive so i can't get into the Recovery Console. It's aright if I lose the data on the computer because there's nothing all that important.. I just want to be able to use it again..I'm kind of desperate at this point.

Another problem has arisen though.. So my husband has a Dell notebook and I did use the same flash drive on it (the one that made my hp mini go crazy).. and it was working fine up until this morning, but now everytime I turn it on, Windows keeps rebooting. It doesn't work in safe mode, everytime I try it just restarts.

Ugh! everything wrong is happening all at once! So u can understand the desperation.

Help will be extremely appreciated!!

I'm not actually able to access the data from another computer. It was a solution that i came across on the web but now can't find it anywhere.

The only thing I can think of if it's not your network is using the Remote Desktop. But I don't know if you can set that up ''after the fact" I do suggest though that you use the Event Viewer for related Errors when you go in to the loop:

Please download VEW and save it to your Desktop:

Setting up the program

Double-click VEW.exe then under Select log to query, select:
  • Application
    [*] System

Under Select type to list, select:
  • Critical (Vista only)
  • Error

Click the radio button for Number of events
  • Type 20 in the 1 to 20 box
  • Then click the Run button.
  • Notepad will open with the output log.

Load the log
  • In Notepad, click Edit> Select all
  • Then press Edit > Copy
  • Press Ctrl+V on your keyboard to paste the log to your next reply.
(Courtesy rev-Olie)

Force the issue if you have to. Then get the Events for that period. Post them here and I'll take a look. If I can spot something helpful, I'll tell you. If not, then I'll refer you to our Windows OS forum for more help/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back