Inconsistent LAN transfer speeds

pingpongmury

Hello. I'm having some issues with inconsistent transfer speeds across my local network. Specifically between my PC and NAS. Both the PC and NAS have an integrated gigabit nic, and I am using a Netgear gigabit 5-port switch between them. Any time I try to transfer a file between them I get around 11MB/s steady, however, if I power-cycle the switch, speeds jump to ~110MB/s.

I have checked power management settings in Windows and haven't come up with anything that should adversely affect performance as well as dug around a bit online and haven't found any straight-forward solutions. Networking isn't much my forte so I don't really know whether the issue lies in Windows, FreeNAS or my router settings.

Any help on the matter would be greatly appreciated. Here's some information on the configurations of both machines and how they are connected:

----PC----
Motherboard: ASUS X370-f Strix

----NAS----
Dell Optiplex 390 (Intel i3)

----Switch----
Netgear GS605NA

----Router/Modem----
Motorola Surfboard SBG6580

Everything is connected using CAT6

Test one component at a time to verify where the bottleneck is. If you have devices IP's statically assigned then test between the PC and NAS directly. Then add the switch or router to see if those devices are causing the problem. Test each piece of the puzzle and you will find where the problem is.

I appreciate the replies. It must have been something in Windows. I purchased an M.2 and put a fresh install of W10 on it. I'm getting consistent gigabit speeds now. (y)(y)

Also,
First thoughts are to ensure:
  • tcp sackopts is set
  • full duplex is on
see this for a starter (Win/10)
Duplex is automatically set to "Auto-Negotiation", should I force this to "1Gb/s Full Duplex"?

Thanks,
Ping

No. Don't hard set your NIC unless you are having negotiation problems. If you hard set the speed it has to be hard set to the same speed on both sides otherwise it will have ethernet errors. As long as your speed is there you are good.

Back