Increasing wifi signal using access point

Status
Not open for further replies.
hi ya

I have a cheapo ADSL wireliess router (54mbps) in the front of my shop and I want to increase the wireless signal I recieve in the office in the back of the shop. The signal is strong but the connection speed drops as low as 20mbps, also I have a desktop with no wifi card in the same room which I need to connect to the network.
My aim is to get the very best connection speeds between the two rooms without cables. I was thinking that if I got a draft N router and access point then the shop front and office would have a very strong connection allowing me to connect multiple machines via ethernet cables in each room and at the same time increasing my wifi signal in the office. This way I wouldnt need to buy another wifi card and would get better signal for my laptop

I dont know if I am completly off track and would better off getting a good router a range booster and installing wifi cards when needed.

if anyone could give me some help with this and also what routers/access points you would reccomend would be great

many thanks

sean

N will give 300mbp (realtime is 240 to 270mbps) of data in / data out
Range is greater than G but just to let you know your range my vary due to interference in your shop.
2.4GHz cordless phones
Some lighting systems
Microwave devices
But the Draft-N clears up some but not much again depends on what's you have in the shop. Place the wireless router higher away from other electronic devices. Wireless access point can be use but if you want to go without wires then you need one that can do WDS. That WDS taps into the wireless signal that you presently is transmitting in your store.

Another issues you have one of those all-in-one modems that have wireless router feature. They tend to be slower than just using ADSL modem and a wireless router combination. Cable Modem from the Cable company is much faster, but you'll have to be able to get cable business customer plan. But in any case what you have reported is normal 54mbps can range from 24, 48, 54mbps. So for you N would do a better jobs.

DLINK

DIR-655_main.jpg

DIR-655 ($89 to $129) Xtreme N Wireless Router
http://www.dlink.com/products/?sec=0&pid=530

DAP-1522_main.jpg

DAP-1522 ($99 and up) wireless access point Xtreme N Duo 2.4GHz/5.0GHz wireless
http://www.dlink.com/products/?pid=663

DAP-1555_main.jpg

DAP-1555 (new) more for high def media

thanks tipster, I am gonna see if my telephone compnay will change my router for a modem then look into buy the kit you reccomended. I just wanted to clear something up, am I correct in thinking that Draft N is on the less used 5ghz and g is on the 2.4ghz which is more commonly used by other devices. Also wnated to check that the laptops with type g wifi cards will still connect to the type N router/Access point,
thanks again
sean

Signal strength is not related to N-draft technology nor G/B/A mode protocols --
it's RF output.

You want a MIMO class WiFi; Many In-Many Out. This means multiple transmitters and
receivers. These devices are the ones with multiple antennas :)

If you elect N-draft devices, replace all WiFi equipment as there are known issues
attempting interconnecting multiple vendors

Thanks Jobeard, so if I connect a good MIMO router to A good MIMO access point I will get a stronger signal than connecting my laptop straight to the standard router? the more I read on Draft N the less apealing it sounds plus we ahve a few laptops all with type g wireless cards so would be annoying to have to upgrade them.
also can you recomend and good models of routers / access points?

many thanks

sean

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back