Infection: regedit/taskmgr being used by another program

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

Recently when downloading a music file from limewire the program appeared to quit unexpectadly. My taskbar appeared to be glitching, showing a series of arrows instead of 'hidden icons'. AVG came up with a couple of popups saying that a trojan had been detected and healed.

I restarted, and it was the same. I pressed ctrl+alt+dlt but nothing happened. I went to run --> regedit and it said that it is being used by another program.
I ran AVG antivirus and noticed that it got stuck on a particular part of the documents and settings folder.
In documents and settings there was a file simply called "!" and inside it were hundreds of music files 37kb in size.
This leads me to believe that the 'virus' is intended to make the user share these files through limewire whenever they use it. I deleted this entire folder, but the problem persists.

Anyway, i can't find a solution to the problem and no anti-spyware etc I have used has had any effect.

I am running Windows XP SP2

Attached is my HJT log.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Hi,

Let's have a look a little deeper.

Combofix
  • Download Combofix to your desktop.
  • Double click combofix.exe & follow the prompts.
  • A window will open with a warning.
  • When the scan completes it will open a text window. Please attach that log back here together with a fresh HJT log.
Caution - do not touch your mouse/keyboard until the scan has completed. The scan will temporarily disable your desktop, and if interrupted may leave your desktop disabled. If this occurs, please reboot to restore the desktop. Combofix is a very powerful tool so please do NOT do anything without instruction

Combofix will automatically save the log file to C:\combofix.txt

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back