Infinite boot after updates/Windows issues

KKimble

After my laptop updated, it restarted but couldn't load. I managed to get into safe mode, Windows could not repair my files, nor could it successfully preform a system restore. I got back into safe mode, and clicked "use last known good configuration." and it booted right up.

Since then, it happens each time it installs updates. Now, rather than constantly having to use the last configuration - my laptop will magically boot up right after I hit safe mode.

There have been a few previous issues as followed:
Windows cannot automatically check for updates (yet it always updates??) Unresponsive script warnings (Assuming only an issue within Firefox itself.) But now, Microsoft Security Essentials will turn itself off, or say it can't update. Since the free upgrade to Windows 10 was around, I never got a notification to install it even though I runn Windows 7. Well, the notification just popped up yesterday, which I thought was strange since it only appeared after failed Windows update. I also have started having issues with my touchpad, I can no longer drag anything while on my desktop - but can do it in other programs...

I am not sure if this is due to an error in Windows, or somehow a virus/malware? Has anyone else had these issues?

I think you should use this operating system anymore with all these problems. I suggest you to turn on your computer and make a good back up and then re-install operating system.

I would basically agree with Tomsonn. Either malware or badly messed up update files, possibly resulting from some kind of hardware issue.

So, make a backup, confirm you have a good readable backup to the backup (as a friend of mine says, if you only have one backup and your HDD dies you just have the single copy and not a backup), reinstall your Windows 7 (after making sure you have the license key - you can get this with Belarc or various other utilities if it isn't on a COA sticker), confirm that the installation runs properly (might be a hardware issue like heat from dust blocking airflow inside machine), check to see if you can upgrade to Windows 10 after you authenticate the Windows 7 install.

One important issue with the Win 7 re-install, be sure to manually request updates from Microsoft - at least 3 times - as the update system does not do them all at once and it takes several days if you rely on 'automatic'.

You can install a fresh, legal copy of Windows-10 now. Get a copy of "Windows Iso Download Tool".

If you want to stay with w7, you can do so. Boot into Safe mode, as you have before. Run "msconfig".
Go to the STARTUP tab.
Turn off (disable) some or all of the items.
Then reboot, as normal.

The above msconfig routine will work on most Windows operating systems, including w-10.

Back