Inserted a new USB device into my Asus laptop and now it freezes after log-in

So today my girlfriend hands me a tiny USB thumb drive wanting me to upload some music on it. So I boot my machine, insert the drive, and then cruise facebook while the drivers for the device install. Shortly thereafter, my computer freezes. No mouse control, no keyboard commands, everything is just frozen. Curious I do a hard reboot and instead log-in on a seperate account. For awhile, it seems to work but then it too freezes.

My guess is that the drivers or the device somehow messed things up, but I could be mistaken. Before this morning's incident, all I did with it last night was play sims 3 while having it connected to our flat screen TV. It was sitting on the floor ( carpet ) but made no signs of overheating or exhaustion. This is the first time anything like this has happened too.

Any help would be greatly appreciated -- I really miss my sims!

System specs pending as I am on the road and the computer is too fritzy to cooperate. It's just a top of the line ASUS / Republic of Gamers laptop purchased from best buy.

Attached is my dxdiag . . .

Asus Laptop / Intel® Core™ i7 Processor / 17.3" Display / 6GB Memory / 640GB Hard Drive

Model: G73JH-BST7 | SKU: 1257894

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Ran the computer in safe mode and removed the USB drivers but my main account still freezes after log-in. Secondary account doesn't seem to freeze, for whatever reason. Also, there is no change in screen color or anything like that when it freezes. Everything just stops. :(

Attachments

• DxDiag.txt
    29.2 KB · Views: 0
Back