InSSIDer nameless network

Started playing around with InSSIDer today and noticed a network with no name, has a mac address that doesnt match any of my devices.... Didnt think mich of it at first. Until I started channel the channel for mt 5ghz network. Noticed it changes with my network almost instantly. It must be part of my network that im overlooking right?

Remember, the tool sees ALL SSIDs in the RF range. I live across the street from a school and see it has deployed several unique networks. I too have seen networks move to channels I am using and if I move, they do too (but not instantly; eg SpectrumWiFi, SpectrumWiFi Plus, CableWiFi, TWCWiFi Passport, ...)

I see only ONE unnamed SSID -- that only means the name is not being broadcast which is an option and not unusual.

I monitor not only concurrent (co-channel) usage, but comparative signal strength. For example, I'm running at -62dbm while the concurrent is at -92dbm -- that's -30dbm and it drowns that data.

The adjacent channel is at -77dmb and -15dbm down.

Monitor the box upper right:
  • Channel xx Link Score nn
  • Co-Channel yy
  • Overlapping zz
IMO, an ideal configuration would be a very high Link Score, 0 Co-Channel, 0 Overlapping

Remember, the tool sees ALL SSIDs in the RF range. I live across the street from a school and see it has deployed several unique networks. I too have seen networks move to channels I am using and if I move, they do too (but not instantly; eg SpectrumWiFi, SpectrumWiFi Plus, CableWiFi, TWCWiFi Passport, ...)

I see only ONE unnamed SSID -- that only means the name is not being broadcast which is an option and not unusual.

I monitor not only concurrent (co-channel) usage, but comparative signal strength. For example, I'm running at -62dbm while the concurrent is at -92dbm -- that's -30dbm and it drowns that data.

The adjacent channel is at -77dmb and -15dbm down.

Monitor the box upper right:
  • Channel xx Link Score nn
  • Co-Channel yy
  • Overlapping zz
IMO, an ideal configuration would be a very high Link Score, 0 Co-Channel, 0 Overlapping

I hear ya. This ones just weird its only 3dbm higher or liwer than mine and I live in a rural area with four houses on the street. And when I say it switches channels with me I mean within seconds . Im thinking its a new modem my isp installed before my dsl/wifi router, its supposedly to convert my fiber optic signal into something readable by the ethernet? ( fiber optics is real new to me)

Im thinking its a new modem my isp installed before my dsl/wifi router, its supposedly to convert my fiber optic signal into something readable by the ethernet? ( fiber optics is real new to me)
That's the function of all MODEMS, regardless of the technology provided by the ISP {phone, coaxial cable, satellite rf, or fiber}. The output is ethernet for direct system access or a router for multiple devices.

The -3dbm is minute-- might as well be ZERO, so having 0 concurrent users is your highest priority. Try to use the 5G band if at all possible to avoid concurrent access.

{four houses on the street}. Does that mean only four visible SSIDs?

Back