Install Windows 98 after XP on different HDD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi!

I want to be able to dual boot Windows 98 and Windows XP without having to format and lose information on my C: with Windows XP, is this possible?

My Windows XP installation is on the C: drive and is formatted as NTFS.

I want to install Windows 98 to the D: drive and format that drive to FAT32.

I read on this site about how to install Windows 98 after Windows XP:
petri.co.il/install_windows_98_after_windows_xp.htm

But it says that the C: drive have to be formatted as FAT32 to make it work. My question is if this still applies even if I want to install Windows 98 to a different HDD?

Please tell me else how I can make it work :)

Thanks in advance!

Yes it still applies, Win98 cannot see NTFS formatted partitions. You might prefer to have three partitions, (two in Fat32), where on the third partition you can share data between XP and Win98.

Other things to look out for - are there even Windows98 drivers for your current hardware? Often these days there are not, and you will not be able to get quite a few things (sound, video are most likely) to work.

No USB drive will work in Win98 without a specific driver for it. Same with SATA main drives. Sometimes you need to install Win98 on a second IDE drive instead. That is fine.

If you have over 500Mb of memory, Win98 may not run or will blue screen until you set a simple parameter in the registry (I think, maybe in system.ini as well)

If you successfully set up Win98, an unofficial service pack 2.1 does excellent service too.

I have exactly that setup at work, and Win98 runs just fine with a little bit of tweaking. This is on Dell Dimension 2400

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back