Installations are crashing - can't find HDD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay so I can't install anything to my HDD via my DVD-ROM. Everytime I try and install any games it gets to around 5% then all applications stop responding and I have to manually reboot (either that or it BSOD and auto-restarts).

I can always install games using Daemon tools and ISO images with no problems at all. If I try to create an ISO image of the disc I have in my DVD-ROM drive using Undisker then it gets to about 5% and crashes my PC. If I try and CTRL+C and Ctrl+V the files from the disc to my HDD it gets to 5% and crashes again.

I have a Western Digital 300Gb SATA2 HDD and an LG DVD-ROM drive. Currently running Windows 7 Ultimate x64. I have started having this problem around early January (was fine before that) but haven't bothered to sort it as I hardly ever use the DVD-ROM drive.

And feedback would be a great help.

Sorry I meant to add that when the machine reboots it doesn't detect my HDD, I have to turn it off then on again and then it detects it.

Also the DVD-ROM drive reads movies/folders/directories perfectly.

The HDD is about a year old and I never get to see the BSOD as it just reboots on contact with one.

Western Digital has a harddrive utility for diagnosing their harddrives that you can download from their website.

I strongly suggest you not only run the S.M.A.R.T. test but certainly the longer tests as well. If you get any BSODs...

How to find and post your Minidump Files:

My Computer > C Drive > Windows Folder > Minidump Folder > Minidump Files.

It is these files that we need (not the folder). Attach to your next post the five most recent dumps. Notice the Manage Attachments button at the bottom when you go to post the next time. You can Zip up to five files per Zip; if you only have one or two you don’t need to zip them, just attach as is. Please do us a favor and don’t Zip each one individually.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back