Intel adds six more CPUs to its 9th-gen lineup, most lack iGPUs

midian182

Staff member
What just happened? Intel has just announced that six new CPUs will be joining its 9th generation processor lineup. The new models cover the Core i3, i5, i7, and i9 range and include the F-series chips, which have their integrated graphics disabled.

Rumors of Intel’s “F” variant CPUs arrived last month. The company's Integrated UHD Graphics is disabled in these processors, which will allow for increased yields—Intel could still sell the chips if there are issues with the graphics but the cores are okay. A disabled iGPU could also act as ‘dark silicon;’ a part of the processor that helps spread heat and thus improve thermal performance.

The new Core i9-9900KF, Core i7-9700KF, and Core i5-9600KF CPUs are pretty much the same as the standard non-F versions. Other than lacking integrated graphics, the main difference is that they don’t support Intel's Transactional Synchronization Extensions (TSX-NI).

The other new CPUs include the Core i3-9350KF, which is overclockable but lacks hyperthreading and graphics. There’s also the six-core Core i5-9400F, which is multiplier locked, and the Core i5-9400—the same chip but with Gen9 Intel HD 630 Graphics.

Intel's 9th Gen CPU lineup. Table courtesy of Anandtech

The only official price Intel has revealed so far is for the $182 Core i5-9400F. You can check out previously reported prices from international retailers here, where we posit that the top-end Core i9-9900KF will sell for around $549 in the US.

Intel said it expects “the first of the new 9th Gen Intel Core desktop processors are expected to be available starting this month with more rolling out through the second quarter of this year.”

Permalink to story.

They wont offer better performance.

Intel's HDET line has long had no iGPUs, and they have never offered better OC headroom or better per core performance. Even if you go so far as to disable cores so you wind up with a quad core HDET chip, it doesnt matter, it doesnt OC any higher then normal chips, because the iGPU is POWERGATED. When you are not using it, it does not pull power. And those HDET chips use the same cores as the core I lineup, with the same IPC and more cache to play with.

this "iGPU makes OC worse" meme has been proven wrong for years now.

So they disable the iGPU and the TDP stays the same?

...At least they added several more SKUs to their portfolio, everyone knows that was the problem /s

Looking like you don’t get any extra performance from a disabled GPU model then. Which is a bit of a joke. I’ve used my integrated GPU on a few occasions before, I’d rather have my CPU be able to drive the monitor in a pinch. But I’d sacrifice it if I could extra overclockability and/or performance from the chip.

I was hoping a refresh of Dell's XPS laptop line with the newer gen cpus, but it looks like they might skip it. Not much improvement when they (9th generation) were announced, but some features geared towards mobile. Oh well ....

Why wouldn't it? Less power consumed by the iGPU means larger share of TDP available to the CPU. Do you think they should raise TDP, when they disable components within the CPU? Keeping the same TDP allows them to match CPU power usage with the platform for which it was designed.

I was considering the 9700K but when I found out it was only a 8/8, I backed out.
The 8700K with a 6/12 is more appealing to me.

Why wouldn't it? Less power consumed by the iGPU means larger share of TDP available to the CPU. Do you think they should raise TDP, when they disable components within the CPU? Keeping the same TDP allows them to match CPU power usage with the platform for which it was designed.

Because as someone else posted above, the iGPU is powergated in most chips anyways. Disabling it doesn't allow for more overclocking or anything like that. So you don't have use of it and you get nothing more out of it not being there. Seems like you should either cut the TDP or allow for more power usage to the CPU if say 10% of power (just an example of possible iGPU usage) is never going to be used.

Because as someone else posted above, the iGPU is powergated in most chips anyways. Disabling it doesn't allow for more overclocking or anything like that. So you don't have use of it and you get nothing more out of it not being there. Seems like you should either cut the TDP or allow for more power usage to the CPU if say 10% of power (just an example of possible iGPU usage) is never going to be used.

Not to mention that, IIRC, with these latest generation CPUs it turns out Intel's self-reported TDPs have little to nothing to do with the actual TDP the chips experience when used. Can't remember if it was in the testing here or at Tom's Hardware, though...

Most PC owners dont keep spare GPUs. Whatcha gonna do when your Only gpu fails, run to the store to get a new one which you probably wont find with a good price and model (bestbuy has 15% extra for rtx cards)
or simply switch to an integrated and find the best replacement online?
So if performance is about the same, I would only get one without iGPU given it is at least 20% cheaper.

Back