Intel brings back TRIM support on X25-M G2 SSDs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jos

It took them a bit longer than expected but Intel has finally issued a fix for that pesky bricking problem affecting their second generation solid-state drives. As previously reported, an October firmware update (revision 02HA) was supposed to improve performance by taking advantage of Windows 7's TRIM functionality, but instead left many 34nm X25-M owners with disk read errors and an otherwise inoperable drive.

If you were among the lucky ones who were able to update without a hassle, not only did your drive get TRIM support, but also an instant 40 percent performance boost on the sequential write speeds of 160GB models. For everyone else the new 02HD firmware and version 1.5 update tool should finally bring your drive up to par.

Intel's 80GB X25-M drive was among the top performers in our first SSD roundup months ago, but sadly their improved G2 series has been met with a few problems since launch. Before this latest issue cropped up, Intel had to halt shipments because of another data corruption problem related to the BIOS password settings.

Permalink to story.

I was lucky enough to get trim support on the last firmware update and not brick my X25-M G2 80GB SSD. I didn't even realize there was a problem until after I had updated and read some stuff on the web about it. I'm glad to hear others can finally get the trim update too.

Nice! I've been waiting for this one ever since the faulty BIOS was pulled. At least Intel didn't take too long to fix the problem. Some companies seem to think it's ok to leave customers waiting endlessly. For example, I have a D-Link DIR-655 router, and a problem was introduced for tons of customers in the April 2009 firmware. As of today, there still is no fix for the problem, even though an updated firmware was released in July, and it's impossible to revert to a previous version of the firmware (clearly stated on the web site). Anyway, all that to say that I'm glad Intel fixed this in a timely manner.

It's good they're fixing it at least. Now future SSDs from them will avoid issues involving TRIM, which is very good for me because I don't have an SSD yet. When I buy one, I won't have to worry :)

The technology is still young. After a few more years we'll see a major increase of speeds. Hopefully they'll become cheaper by then and maybe 2012 will be the year in which they become mainstream.

i cant wait to get a ssd for my computer... it gonna boost the performance =)
and by the time ill get one it will probably be more stable so less chance to lose valuable data =P

I killed my W7 installation with the first firmware update. I'm glad they got things sorted out but I really want them to re-release the toolbox so I can have TRIM scheduled for a daily run.

I was running Vista on my X25-M. Now I finally could upgrade to Windows 7. My X25-M was starting to slow down, so being able to run Trim and upgrade to Windows 7 is great!

I do not have an SSD but I think it is good to see that companies give quick solutions to problems they are responsible of causing, in this case it was mandatory for them to do it, this things are not cheap at all, I can't imagine how all those people felt when their expensive drive stopped working after the update, but it's good to see that they sort it out fast.

lfg18 said:
I do not have an SSD but I think it is good to see that companies give quick solutions to problems they are responsible of causing, in this case it was mandatory for them to do it, this things are not cheap at all, I can't imagine how all those people felt when their expensive drive stopped working after the update, but it's good to see that they sort it out fast.

Mmmm, kind of reminds me of using a Creative-Xfi sound card, only with no quick fixes around :D

I'm holding out on getting an SSD until all the bugs are worked out and the price drops. I've been drooling over them for a long time now, so hopefully they'll start getting affordable soon.

I just purchased an Intel X25-M SSD 160 GB. How do I tell if it has the correct Firmware. It's pack date was 1/28/2010 and the version number is E65907-309.
Prod Code is SSDSA2MH160G2R5. Thanks for your help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back