Intel CEO praises iPad, promises to win tablet segment

Jos

Staff

Besides announcing another record-breaking quarter yesterday, Intel’s chief executive Paul Otellini took a minute to comment on the new computing categories where Intel currently has no presence – namely, tablets. The executive specifically referenced the iPad’s dominance of the market and praised Apple’s “awesome” job reinventing the tablet category, but said Intel has every intention to ultimately win the space with its Atom processor platform.

Otellini admitted that tablet sales might eat into existing markets but downplayed its long-term effect. In his view, this ‘new’ category will mimic the netbook track: consumers will have a limited amount of discretionary income, and some will choose to purchase a tablet instead of upgrading an existing PC or purchasing some other computing device. In the end, however, Otellini believes the tablet segment will grow along with the rest of the PC market as it happened with netbooks.

He went on to assure that Intel “will use all the assets at our disposal to win this segment,” adding that a number of tablet products will come to market in the coming months and quarters based on Windows, Android, and Meego operating systems, across a variety of form factors and price points, and they will be there to support them with Oak Trail. This new range of low-power Atom processors isn’t expected to begin showing up in production hardware until 2011, but Otellini seems confident it will help them catch up with and eventually outclass ARM in this segment.

Permalink to story.

Well I guess if any Proccessor manufacturer is capable of Knocking ARM off the top spot in this segment its Intel, the useful thing about this is (Hopefully) AMD will then see it as Competition and create cheaper Low power CPU's :) Overall I'd say this is good news all round.

competition is always good for the consumer!

although, is intel suggesting they'll be making the entire tablet? (not likely), or just the underlying architecture (like ARM is doing right now?) just want to clarify.

The article is a bit misleading as I, too, thought Intel was implying it would compete in the market by manufacturing the tablet, not chips.

ARM has nVidia helping to push it in the market, Intel has Oak Trail, and AMD has Bobcat... Looks like it will be a 3-way Thunderdome fighting for the mobile/tablet market. Intel can claim they will win the Tablet market all they want, but if AMD's new APUs have similar processing speeds and superior graphics, Intel may have a steep uphill climb to get to the top. Particularly since they have quite a few eyes on them, watching for the old Intel strong-arm tactics we've come to know and love.

Yes, the end of 2010 and Q1 of 2011 should be mighty interesting, with all that new tech. Will be mighty interesting to see if actual benchmarks match the hype Intel and AMD are creating for their new platforms.

I don't like the way this article was phrased... they aren't dominating the market, there is no real competition yet. You could say they are leading the pack now, or launched this particular market, but they aren't dominating anything yet.

longer battery life...lol...
how about an i3-powered lappy with more than 12 hours battery life and not costing more than 500$?

I'm looking to buy my mother a tablet this holiday season. My criteria is anything that's not made by apple. I'm keeping my eyes open for the oncoming onslaught of devices. Sadly, Meego is taking too long.

Back