Intel Core i7-11800H Review: 11th-gen Tiger Lake H45 Put to the Test

The higher power consumption to reach higher clockspeed tend to be the undoing of Intel chips in the mobile space. A lot of laptops tend to come with bare minimal cooling solution, which will struggle to keep the chip running at a high boost rate since the cooling solution need to also account for the heat from the GPU too.

As always, a very good review. The only thing I‘m missing is actual power draw numbers (e.g. at the wall).

One comment:

Intel’s new Tiger Lake design built on 10nm SuperFin is much more efficient at utilizing high levels of power

Is this something that should be considered a plus for a laptop CPU though ? I‘d personally prefer if it were more efficient at utilizing low levels of power for this form factor.

So Intel can finally hang with AMD in the laptop space again, for the most part, but Intel kit with equivalent specs are more expensive while AMD machines are harder to find.

Lovely.

As always, a very good review. The only thing I‘m missing is actual power draw numbers (e.g. at the wall).
The power consumption figures from the wall is going to be dependent on a number of variables, some of which aren't going to be easily controllable. For example, the efficiency of the charging unit, the LCD/OLED panel used in the screen, and the number of additional devices on the laptop's motherboard will contribute a small, but non-trivial, amount to that power usage. Thus making less easy to narrow it down to just CPU vs CPU.

The power consumption figures from the wall is going to be dependent on a number of variables, some of which aren't going to be easily controllable. For example, the efficiency of the charging unit, the LCD/OLED panel used in the screen, and the number of additional devices on the laptop's motherboard will contribute a small, but non-trivial, amount to that power usage. Thus making less easy to narrow it down to just CPU vs CPU.
Thanks. It would still be great to be able to get an indication of what CPU but also GPU actually consume. If you can use software for that it‘s nice, but checking from the wall would be a good way to confirm if these numbers are accurate.

Speaking of power: do you know how much Tiger Lake‘s chipset consumes ? I assume its power consumption is not included in the CPU‘s TDP.

I wonder if I made a mistake buying ASUS TUF A15 when I actually wanted TUF F15 but the last gen Comet Lake one only had GTX 1650 and Comet Lake vs A15's 5800H and RTX 3060. I should have waited for TUF F15 11th gen which has RTX 3060 and 11800H. Would have gotten Thunderbolt 4 to network with my other Intel laptop with Thunderbolt 3/9750H at 10 Gigabit Ethernet speeds.

Oh well maybe Intel 11th gen F15 laptop will be priced higher. Then I will feel better for losing out on Thunderbolt 4 and PCIe Gen 4 when Intel has almost caught up with AMD.

Last edited:
I think there is a review on Jarrod's tech comparing the previous Comet Lake flagship against the current TIger Lake flagship. Due to the higher power draw, the battery life actually tanked with the same Gigabyte Aero laptop.

They should have tested it all the way down to 10W to see how well they stack up with Apple M1. If it scales well at lower power levels would make for a nice Ultrabook cpu (yes im aware of intels 15w cpus but they only have 4 cores)

Back