Intel Core i9-13900K overclocked to world record 9GHz, KS model's 150W base TDP revealed

midian182

Staff member
What just happened? We know Intel's new flagship Core i9-13900K is a beast of a CPU, and now Asus has shown just what it's capable of with the right people and equipment. A team of overclockers has pushed the chip to over 9GHz, a new world record and making it the first processor to pass the 9GHz milestone.

Overclockers Jon Sandström, Pieter Plaiser, and their team set the record at an Asus office in Taiwan earlier this month. Using an open-bench system with an Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Apex motherboard, the Core i9-13900K, which has a maximum boost of 5.8GHz, was pushed to 9.009GHz. It was able to run Pifast for 6.85 seconds and SuperPi 32M for 3 minutes, 3 seconds, and 778 milliseconds.

The team achieved its world record, which now tops the HWBOT charts, by disabling all of the Core i9-13900K's Efficient cores and hyperthreading, leaving only the eight Performance cores and eight threads.

Unsurprisingly, the chip reached its record-breaking speed using liquid nitrogen (LN2), though, in this instance, it was combined with liquid helium to bring the temperature first down to -196 degrees Celsius (-320.8 Fahrenheit) before pushing it to -250.2°C (-418.36 degrees Fahrenheit).

Back in October, the Core i9-13900K chip broke the overclocking world record by reaching 8.8GHz, moving ahead of the 8.7 GHz (8,722.78 MHz) reached by AMD's FX-8370 that had been unbeaten for almost a decade.

We called the Intel Core i9-13900K hot and hungry in our review of the current Raptor Lake flagship, awarding it a disappointing score of 75.

It'll certainly be interesting to see if the overclocking record will be broken again when the Intel Core i9-13900KS arrives next year. There's expected to be a special edition version of the CPU that can reach 6GHz without requiring manual tuning.

The Intel Core i9-13900KS actually appears in the overclocking video—unlikely to be an accident on Intel's part—in a CPU-Z listing where the product name is the Core i9-13900K, suggesting the KS version is a pre-binned model. As per VideoCardz, the chip is shown with a Max TDP of 150W, though this is just the Processor Base Power (PL1), so the Max Turbo Power (MTP/PL2) will likely be higher. For comparison, the Core i9-13900K has a base TDP of 125W and a max TDP of 253W.

Permalink to story.

This feat was performed running Windows 7, not a current more bloated version, that likely would not have worked as well. Also, the e-cores were off.

This feat was performed running Windows 7, not a current more bloated version, that likely would not have worked as well. Also, the e-cores were off.

And it is meaningless anyway. There is no practical use for these overclocks since no one but these motherboard manufacturers can afford to play games like this. Completely silly waste of resources. 🤔🥱🤷‍♂️

When cpu makers can find materials that allow for such overclocking only using air coolers, that would be amazing.
Btw, that is a very nice board. I really wanted it but not for that price. The price is so high that it is not practical since you can go a bit higher and get a beautiful board with built in cpu or even cpu and chipset blocks.

So liquid nitrogen is not cold enough to get the chip to break a record, so liquid helium is required. At the rate that Intel is pushing the power envelop of each generation of CPU, they could well require a giant chiller to keep their flagship i9 cool in another couple of generations. Currently, no air cooling solution is able to tame the i9, and the chip is throttling with a 360mm AIO. I wonder if a custom water cooling solution will handle the extra power requirement of the KS.

Back