Intel Devil's Canyon CPUs priced and detailed in recent leak

Scorpus

Staff member

A recent leak has revealed some information surrounding Intel's Devil's Canyon processor, which is set to be an enthusiast Haswell part designed for overclockers with new thermal interface material. Devil's Canyon was first detailed back in March, and it looks like it'll be released very soon.

The leak has revealed that Devil's Canyon will actually be two separate CPUs, a quad-core i5 as well as a quad-core i7 with hyperthreading. The i5 part, known as a the i5-4690K, will be clocked at 3.5 GHz with a Turbo Boost of 3.9 GHz, plus 6 MB of L3 cache and a TDP of 88W. It'll retail for somewhere around $255; $30 higher than the non-K i5-4690.

intel devil canyon cpus intel cpu haswell devils canyon

The top-end Devil's Canyon CPU will be the Core i7-4790K as expected, packing a base clock of 4.0 GHz that boosts up to 4.4 GHz where necessary. It packs 8 MB of L3 cache and the same 88W TDP of the i5 SKU, but it will be priced significantly higher at $362, which is $47 more than the current non-K i7-4790 clocked at 3.6 GHz.

As the Haswell-based Devil's Canyon parts use the LGA1150 CPU socket, it's expected that they will work on motherboards with either the 8-series or new 9-series chipsets.

A few details surrounding Intel's Pentium Anniversary Edition have also been revealed. The CPU will reportedly be called the G3258 - lacking K branding despite being a fully unlocked part - and will run at 3.2 GHz on its two cores with 3 MB of L3 cache. This processor will be available for $78, just $3 higher than the standard non-Anniversary Edition G3420.

Intel hasn't officially launched either Devil's Canyon or Pentium Anniversary Edition just yet, but it looks like a release isn't too far away.

Permalink to story.

That Pentium Anniversary chip will hurt AMD's price/performance marks in the low budget market, they sell there unlocked FM2 Athlon x4 at that price. I could see the Pentium at 4ghz beating the x4 at 4ghz. The other two chips seem kinda pointless but ohhh well.

The top-end Devil's Canyon CPU will be the Core i7-4790K as expected, packing a base clock of 4.0 GHz that boosts up to 4.4 GHz where necessary. It packs 8 MB of L3 cache and the same 88W TDP of the i5 SKU, but it will be priced significantly higher at $362, which is $47 more than the current non-K i7-4790 clocked at 3.6 GHz.
4ghz at 88w tdp! omg.

amd's response: but we have the fastest apu.

seriously, amd needs to step up to make cpu prices more palatable to those who want to upgrade this year.

This is unusual for Intel to release the same K-version and non-K version with such difference in base clock. They have always been the same frequency, just locked and unlocked for over-clocking.

Also, most of information in the article doesn't match what's shown in the table from Intel. That's strange...

This is unusual for Intel to release the same K-version and non-K version with such difference in base clock. They have always been the same frequency, just locked and unlocked for over-clocking.

Different TIM?
Update: Checked source, and YUP!

Source:
The Intel Core i7-4790K and Core i5-4690K make up the Devil’s Canyon series of highly culled processors that were selected for their overclocking potential and use a different thermal interface material between the processor die and the integrated headspreader (IHS).
Read more at http://www.legitreviews.com/intel-d...ing-appears-online_142581#Ht82DwXbD9pIbp6S.99

I read that the desktop broadwell CPUs werent going to come until 2015 due to DC being pushed. But the mobile CPUs will still come before the end of 2014.

Well with the mobile chips you won't really see them for 2-3 months after release(so 2015) and as much as 6 months till there mainstream retail models, unless your dropping heavy cash on the system. Desktop chips are a diff story obviously.

Isn't it about time they started calling these, "rumors", authorized press releases? I mean really, has there been any bit of Intel's strategy or release timing in recent memory that hasn't been "leaked"....?

I use both AMD and Intel. Both have there extra edge in tech. In the past you had a lot of them making CPU beside these two CPU Kings. Cyrix CPU along with TI, IBM, ST and VIA in the end VIA Cyrix merge still. Nothing beats the old Cyrix chips back then.

That Pentium Anniversary chip will hurt AMD's price/performance marks in the low budget market, they sell there unlocked FM2 Athlon x4 at that price. I could see the Pentium at 4ghz beating the x4 at 4ghz. The other two chips seem kinda pointless but ohhh well.

Partly true. In places where the FM2 Athlon X4 is available, I don't see why they'd go for the devil's canyon pentium CPUs. Yes, they may be faster and even if you overclock the Athlon to 5.0 ghz, the difference wouldn't probably be much, but the Athlon does benefit from having two extra cores which helps a lot in newer games.

Partly true. In places where the FM2 Athlon X4 is available, I don't see why they'd go for the devil's canyon pentium CPUs. Yes, they may be faster and even if you overclock the Athlon to 5.0 ghz, the difference wouldn't probably be much, but the Athlon does benefit from having two extra cores which helps a lot in newer games.
Do you some research on the Bulldozer module, and you will realize how little those extra 2 cores actually are. You have 2 actual cores then 2 buddy cores that have to share things with the other two cores in the module. The best way to describe it is like intel's hyper threading, the buddy cores do better then a hyper threaded core (though less efficient ) But a 4 core bulldozer architecture has consistently lost to core i3's in a lot of gaming benchmarks since release, having a better IPC is still more important for gaming then just multicore. I have gamed with both a i3 and a fx 4100 and I only saw about 3 games where the fx has the same FPS as the i3, almost every other game I ran the i3 won. The i3's are locked at there clock speeds, but this Pentium will be able to push 4ghz with ease so the gaming results should be really good for mid-level graphics systems.

Back