Intel Lakefield processor spotted in the wild outperforming Snapdragon 835

Cal Jeffrey

Staff member
In a nutshell: Intel's first-generation Lakefield processors are not due out until Q4 2020, but some have been getting their hands on early silicon providing us with a glimpse of what kind of performance to expect. The latest leak shows an SoC designated "Core i5-L15G7" that Geekbench rated better than Qualcomm's Snapdragon 835.

Benchmarks have leaked for another Intel Lakefield SoC. A tweet from InstLatX64 on Saturday revealed Geekbench tests on a Core i5-L15G7. It appears to be a lower-spec version of the Core 15-L16G7 that was spotted in UserBenchmark tests back in January.

It will be a five-core x86 hybrid similar to a Lakefield SoC that leaked last September. It will have one "big" Sunny Cove core on a 10nm process, and four "little" Tremont cores on a 22nm Foveros base die. Foveros is an Intel technology that allows the stacking of different chips on one another. The SoC should have a TDP from between five and seven watts. The Geekbench report also indicated the the Core i5-L15G7 has 1.5MB of L2 cache and 4MB of L3 cache.

The 3DMark scores posted for the Lakefield spotted in September indicated a boosted frequency of around 3.1GHz. The Geekbench tests on the Core i5-L15G7 showed a base clock speed of around 1.38GHz, with the Lakefield part hitting as high as 2.95GHz. So it appears that it might be a different chipset, but that's just an educated guess.

In any event, the processor seems to be a bit more powerful than Qualcomm's Snapdragon 835 SoC. In single-core tests, the Core i5-L15G7 scored 725, an increase of more than 104 percent over the Snapdragon 835. However, in multi-core workloads, Intel's chip only boasted a small advantage against Qualcomm's — 1,566 points versus 1,533 points, respectively — a gain of just over two percent.

Keep in mind, these tests are on unreleased hardware. First-generation Lakefield chips are not due out until this holiday season. Although, Tom's Hardware reports seeing the Core i5-L16G7 in a teardown of a Lenovo X1 Fold, which is due out mid-year. Even still, Intel could have already made performance improvements to the i5-L15G7 in question. Keep your eye out for TechSpot's benchmarks when we get our hands on the new silicon.

Permalink to story.

Didn't the Snapdragon 835 come out 2 years ago? Why not compare to their newer CPUs?

Either way, will be interesting to see the products powered by this cpu.
Yes. It is a look at what the chip can exceed. In a comparison with the Snapdragon 8cx, for example, the i5-L15G7 barely beats the 8cx in single-core performance (725 vs 703, respectively), but can't really touch it for multi-core (1,566 vs 2,770). So if you are looking for a breakpoint comparison versus Qualcomm, the Snapdragon 835 is it.

Keep your eye out for TechSpot's benchmarks when we get our hands on the new silicon.

Awesome! Can't wait.

Only top end skus matter. An Intel fluff article showing how intel's best can't beat snapdragon's is warranted... Not this bs that says "oh wow," and compared Intel's best vs mid level solutions.

This just goes to show how far Intel has to come + how hard Intel tries to pay off media to sway mind share

Back