Intel packs Core i5 into 4-inch PC, i3 models available Q3 2012

Rick

Staff

At Computex, Intel has revealed plans for a new small form factor PC which packs an Ivy Bridge Intel Core i3 into a 4x4 inch chassis. The chip maker has dubbed its new PC as the "NUC" or the Next Unit of Computing. According to the Tech Report, Intel expects to see these tiny PCs hit the market as early as Q3 of this year at a price of around $400.

When the paperback book-sized computer debuts, it will pair those Core i3 processors with an adorably-sized motherboard based upon the company's aging but capable HM65 chipset. Users won't find USB 3.0, but they will see at least three USB ports. Also on the features list is dual HDMI, 4GB of RAM with two SO-DIMMs, a 40GB mSATA solid-state drive and at least one mini-PCIe slot. Oh, and there's the usual Wi-Fi and Bluetooth connectivity options we're used to finding on just about everything these days.

If packing an i3 into a 4x4-inch PC doesn't tickle you in the right areas, Intel also plans to release i5 and i7 variants at a later date. Intel's latest generation of 22nm Ivy Bridge CPUs feature significantly less power draw and superior thermals to previous Core processors, a fact which will likely help the company stuff that kind of horse power into such a miniscule package.

The NUC demonstration unit was equipped with a Core i5 showing a top speed of 2.7GHz. While rendering a 3D scene with Cinebench, the processor had maxed out at 79*C -- a very warm temperature but well within acceptable operational limits.

Permalink to story.

dear Techspot,
Any idea of when Intel will release the next variant of their HD4000 graphics? Is it true that it'll be 2-3x more capable than the current new HD4000?

That new "HD5000" will be AWESOME!!! Would go nicely with such a small form factor.

dear Techspot,
Any idea of when Intel will release the next variant of their HD4000 graphics? Is it true that it'll be 2-3x more capable than the current new HD4000?

That new "HD5000" will be AWESOME!!! Would go nicely with such a small form factor.

You're thinking of the Ivy Bridge "Tock," Haswell. No one knows for sure when it will be released, but most likely Q1 or Q2 of 2013.

seeing as core i5 is no better than motorola 68000 it seems like a storm in a teahut

wrong, I think you are confused. this is a full-blown desktop processor. not a crippled ARM/RISC equivalent. The core i5 is better than any of the best desktop processors from any of Intel's competition. Even the core i3 beats the latest offerings from AMD on most tests.

**** that intel or what is this.
Intel told several weeks ago that NUC will be come with thunderbolt and usb 3.0
This last demo of NUC has no usb 3 and no thunderbolt.
So thats nothing new, that's a trash, **** this kind of companyes like ocz, telling high and then show poor numbers, ****, I will not buy from intel.
Promises, words.... And then nothing become...

What promises? These are rumours. Until Intel makes their own OFFICIAL release, it isn't finalized yet.

Back