Intel reveals a snakeskin smart bracelet for women

Himanshu Arora

Staff

Intel has revealed a luxury smart bracelet aimed specifically at women. Dubbed My Intelligent Communication Accessory (MICA), the wearable is designed by fashion retailer Opening Ceremony and engineered by Intel, which first announced its plans to develop a smart bracelet at this year's CES.

The cuff-style bracelet has a 1.6-inch curved, sapphire glass touchscreen that sits at the bottom of the wrist, capable of displaying notifications from your smartphone, push SMS messages, calendar reminders, and meeting alerts. The device also features a 3G cellular radio, meaning you can use it without pairing it to a smartphone paired, and can be charged either via USB or wirelessly.

The MICA will be officially unveiled at Opening Ceremony's spring/summer 2015 show this Sunday during New York Fashion Week, and will be available at their stores and at high-end retailer Barney's stores later this year.

intel wearable technology smart wearable wearable tech bracelet fashion

"We wanted something that felt luxurious and modern that could fit into the lives of many different women", Opening Ceremony co-founder Humberto Leon said. The MICA bracelet will come in black or white snakeskin designs with pearls and other stones from Madagascar, South Africa and Russia.

Intel isn't revealing anything in terms of pricing yet, but Cnet is reporting that the device will be priced under $1,000. The company plans to provide more details on the bracelet's capabilities in October.

Intel is not the only company attempting to push wearables into the fashion space; back in June, Google also collaborated with fashion icon Diane von Furstenberg to release a stylish line of frames that attach to Google Glass.

Permalink to story.

What makes this "for women"? Are men not to like this styling?

I'm sure some feminist will say that this smartwatch is just another form of rape. It is the rape part that makes it for women. Since, you know, the tech industry is dominated by men and this smartwatch is symbolic of this male domination, or something along those lines. Feminists are pretty predictable.

Last edited:
They look too manly to me, I wouldn't ask these two out, that's for sure :)

That's not outside the realm of possibilities these days.

Wait... I read too much into that, didn't I? Oops.

It's pretty clear which sex it was designed for, but to each their own.

The styling is feminine by design. A male would only wear the products featured here if he were gay. Hence, "for women."
My original post was a little satirical. Feminists are always going overboard with "gender role" posts and whatnot so I just wanted to do the same, in jest, from the other point of view. :D

I'd hit it.
You'd likely "hit" anything.

With that said, there is a twisted sort of psychology to using ordinary looking models, so you'll pay more attention to the watch. Still this modeling assignment was likely gravy for those two. Being able to keep their clothes on for a change.

But really, did you have to stoop to "Crocodile Dundee" in drag? (The one on the left).

I suppose they could put a crank in the middle of the Australian model, so as to make it double as a boomerang.

"That's not a watch mate, this is a watch"!

The styling is feminine by design. A male would only wear the products featured here if he were gay. Hence, "for women."
I'd be willing to bet most of "The Village People". wouldn't be caught dead wearing that watch, and they're about as gay as it gets.

Last edited:
Back