Intel says it provides a better gaming experience than 100% of Mac laptops

midian182

Staff member
What just happened? We already knew that Intel and Apple's relationship turned sour after the latter started opting for its in-house silicon over Chipzilla's. At Computex 2021, team blue really burnt its bridges with Cupertino, making sure that everyone knows Macs are inferior to Windows-based laptops when it comes to gaming.

During the event, Intel said its Windows laptops "provide a better gaming experience than 100% of Apple Mac laptops." That could be a response to Apple's previous claims that the M1 SoC boasts the world's fastest CPU core, which on its website clarifies that this is "when it comes to low-power silicon." Nevertheless, the M1 has been a revelation, leading to Intel launching an ad campaign mocking M1-powered MacBooks and bringing back the "I'm a Mac" actor Justin Long to diss Apple.

Intel didn't hold back at Computex. As it has done in the past, the company highlighted how over half of today's most popular games aren't supported on macOS, including Cyberpunk 2077, Apex Legends, GTA V, PUBG, and Valorant. It also showed the inferiority of emulators by running Valheim through Parallels, which looks pretty terrible even on low settings.

It's wasn't just the M1-powered Macs that Intel went after. It showed a slide comparing a MacBook Pro packing a Core i9 9980HK and AMD Radeon Pro 5600M to an Intel-branded system with a Core i5 11400H and a GeForce RTX 3060. The Windows machine was way ahead in all the benchmarks.

In addition to showing how much better its PCs are for games, which we've long known, Intel also illustrated how an increasing number of creators—the MacBooks' traditional customers—also use their laptops for gaming, suggesting that Windows machines would be the better option.

Apple is aiming to complete the transition to its in-house silicon by 2022, so get used to seeing this sort of shade-throwing from Intel.

Thumbnail image: Jeramey Lende

Permalink to story.

Well they’re not wrong, Apple Arcade is a joke... But Apple could lure game developers to macOS if it wanted to.

But M1 is revolutionary, what Apple has done to build m1 that goes into its iPad, MacBooks, iMacs is something Intel never could do with x86.

There's basically no debate here. Intel + Nvidia + Windows PC has been responsible for virtually 99% of my computer gaming while the leftover 1% has been on my iPhone using iOS.

Unless apple comes out with a Mac that is friendly to mainstream graphics cards and peripherals such as my X56 Rhino, G Pedals, Quest 2 VR (all for DCS World) and Xbox/ PS controllers, they can't even hope to compete with Windows PC.

But M1 is revolutionary, what Apple has done to build m1 that goes into its iPad, MacBooks, iMacs is something Intel never could do with x86.
I would argue the opposite, Intel and AMD are doing some magic to bring new performance while supporting old instructions.
Furthermore despite the advantage of Apple as they build both the software and hardware, yet Intel and AMD and Microsoft keep high performance and native compatibility.
Having said that, it's still pathetic Marketing from Intel, comparing Windows to MacOS, I don't believe people buying Apple are doing to get the best gaming performance, or care about gaming at all.

Intel is correct. Their laptops play games faster.

However I dont buy laptops to play games on at all. Ever. So personally I dont give a dam. For me, the Intel parts lose as soon as Windows is installed on it.

But I do think a lot of people are buying to play games. Right now I think a gaming laptop is the best value way into PC gaming, especially if you are starting from nothing. For like £600 you can get a machine that has a GTX 1650, quad core i5, a monitor, SSD, keyboard, WiFi, bluetooth, speakers and a webcam. Its all you need to play pretty much any game.

They are not wrong but that is not Apple's main focus and never has been. Seems like the same reasons they made with AMD but its missing the mark while AMD slowly caught up.

This is a true statement today. However, Apple may have finally noticed their shortcomings from all the rumors that the next Apple Silicon will have many more GPU cores. That has been the biggest hold back for probably the last ten years - underpowered GPUs in all their models. At that point, it's up to developers to make use of the new hardware, which in itself will be a challenge, as I'm sure they feel burnt by past actions from Apple.

They are correct yet despite owning a Dell with the 7700HQ cpu and GTX1060 graphics that games reasonably well I still bought a MacBook Air with M1.

6 months with the Apple product and I'll sum the experience up simply as this: it's better than the best x86 laptop I've ever had as much as the best x86 laptop I've ever had was better than the worst x86 laptop I've ever had. Read that twice.

To bring me back the x86 world *really* needs to step up its, um, game and that will take more than some pathetically weak marketing.

Last edited:
Intel utterly missing the conversation again. Seriously. Thinking caps on, people.

How many people out there are buying a Mac laptop to game? Nobody.

Yet Intel is targeting this imaginary "market". And just look like desperate fools doing so like some dude/gal after a breakup, trashing their ex.

Intel, just stop and focus on what you're doing right on the PC side.

This seems like one of those "yeah no ****" moments in marketing. People need to just accept Apple moving back to risc is the equivalent of them pulling out of the high end desktop market and altering their consumer markets that are targeted, Intel needs to chill. It's seriously 1 less competitor in the space and they have no one to blame but themselves for milking the crap out of quad-core procs with no real innovations since z68 and x58 nearly a decade of ARM procs had billions pumped into R&D innovations Into making them have a great performance per watt with the RISC design while they let x86 stifle in the absence of competition.

They are not wrong but that is not Apple's main focus and never has been. Seems like the same reasons they made with AMD but its missing the mark while AMD slowly caught up.
Yep and they missed a multi billion dollar market because of being stupid...so seriously though Apple PCs are about 14-16% of the global market share and that includes legacy Mohave os devices, we are taking about a market not worth dignifying hence why they pulled out of the high end and merged it with mobile.

I would never own an Apple laptop or Mac to game on it's never been a thing. Linux is the best alternative to Windows for gaming.

Oh FFS Intel get some Paracetamol for butt pain. Too late for brain anyway.

I thought that after Mr Gelsinger took over they will finally try to return to actual development and manufacturing, but now they still are at the stage of embarrassing PowerPoint presentations. I really hope than AMD (and Apple) will pile even more misery on those sorry Intel corporate sods.

Truth be told, people buy Mac mostly for their softwares nowadays. There was a time when it was also for durability or even security but not anymore.

This is a true statement today. However, Apple may have finally noticed their shortcomings from all the rumors that the next Apple Silicon will have many more GPU cores. That has been the biggest hold back for probably the last ten years - underpowered GPUs in all their models. At that point, it's up to developers to make use of the new hardware, which in itself will be a challenge, as I'm sure they feel burnt by past actions from Apple.
Or Apple may be banking on the streaming game market instead. Frankly mobility and gaming are not exactly well aligned. I have a gaming "laptop" that will never sit in my lap (too hot) and would barely last an hour off the wall plug. It's great that I can haul my ASUS laptop around but it's heavy and bulky and there's the keyboard and mouse to haul too. MacBook Air and a good connection may be all I need in the future.

Back