Intel says its US mega-fab will be a $120 billion "little city"

midian182

Staff member
In context: We know that as part of its IDM 2.0 initiative, Intel is aiming to compete with semiconductor manufacturing giants TSMC, Samsung, and other rivals by 2025. To achieve this goal, it is building a mega-fab in the US—and it's going to be big: costing between $60 billion - $120 billion and creating tens of thousands of jobs.

Back in March, CEO Pat Gelsinger's announced that Intel would open up both its current and planned manufacturing capacity to other chipmakers through the launch of Intel Foundry Services (IFS); its first customers will be Snapdragon SoC maker Qualcomm and Amazon. The company is also planning to build a new mega-fab at a yet-to-be-decided location in the US.

In an interview with the Washington Post, Gelsinger revealed some specifics of this project. It's going to be a huge site consisting of six to eight fab modules, each costing between $10 billion to $15 billion. That means the final cost of construction will be between $60 billion - $120 billion.

"It's a project over the next decade on the order of $100 billion of capital, 10,000 direct jobs. 100,000 jobs are created as a result of those 10,000, by our experience. So, essentially, we want to build a little city," Gelsinger said.

Intel is still looking at several sites across a number of states as potential mega-fab locations. Not only must it consider energy, water, and environmental factors, but it also wants the project to be near a university to attract skilled staff.

There were some details Gelsinger didn't reveal, including which nodes the initial module of the mega-fab will support. Given that operations are expected to start in 2024, we can expect Intel 4 (previously referred to as 7nm) and Intel 3 (7+) before moving onto its more advanced 20A process—the company's first to use its "RibbonFET" version of Gate-All-Around (GAA) transistors.

Gelsinger also mentioned the CHIPS act, which would provide tax incentives and fund chip R&D to support US semiconductor manufacturing. "Go fast!" he urged lawmakers. "Let's get this into law because I want to build factories a lot faster than we can today."

Permalink to story.

The speed of construction relies largely on the sophistication of those doing the work. This would be one venue I don't think would benefit from rushing to complete the work, unless of course they thrive on re-work ....

So, how much sweet government money does Intel want ?

And if they get any, they should be forced to give AMD priority of those fabs at discounted prices, as atonement for all the illegal cr@p that Intel has done to them.

Assuming that AMD decides to do any deals with the devil.

Pat Gelsinger is really turning Intel around fast. Stuff actually happens now. Not just talk.

Bob Swan was a terrible CEO.
What has actually happened so far? Lots of talk without results.

Like this: We will build sometime something if...

What has actually happened so far? Lots of talk without results.

Like this: We will build sometime something if...

You will see when Intel release their 7 proces in a few months. DDR5. PCIe 5.0. Hybrid Design + Windows 11 scheduler rebuilt ground up to take advantage of it.

AMD no longer have an advantage, as in 14nm vs 7nm. Intel even secured TSMC's 3nm line as a backup. How? Because Intel has more money than AMD. Way more.

AMD will always be considered the cheaper brand.

Nvidia dominate on the GPU side.
Intel dominate on the CPU side.

AMD has 20% GPU marketshare at most. Nvidia 80% or more. Nvidia owns the higher end category. AMD mostly sell cheap GPU's.

AMD has less than 30% CPU desktop marketshare. Intel 70%. AMD mostly sell cheap CPU's.

AMD has less than 5% of laptop market. Intel 95%, especially dominating the enterprise markets. Why? AMD can't deliver. Their mobile availability is terribe. Everyone that works in the field knows this. Our company bought 100s of Intel laptops during lockdown, and a few AMD Ryzen (took forever to be delivered). Intel was spitting chips out all day while AMD waits for TSMC to deliver. The perk of making the chips yourself.

Enterprise/Server marketshare; AMD 10% at most, Intel 90%.

AMD is the cheap brand. Always will be. Unless AMD have superior price/perf, people will go Intel/Nvidia. AMD is cheap for a reason.

I have a Ryzen 3600 in my server. Decent CPU for encoding etc, but sucks for gaming. Good value tho, if it did not have good value, I would never have bought it.

Ryzen 1000 and 2000 sucked immensely. TSMC 7nm is the only reason why 3000 and 5000 series became good, and AMD loses this advantage now that Intel release Alder Lake.

Sad but true. AMD had a good run tho. And I'm glad they did, because I sold my AMD stocks at the peak with a 1475% jump.

I bought Intel stocks now. In a few years, they will be up 500% or more for sure. You will see and I'm looking forward to reap the profit once again.

I bought for $15.000 AMD stocks back in 2016... You do the math ;)

My Nvidia stocks I still have, up 1200% in 5 years. Not peaked yet.

Last edited:
You will see when Intel release their 7 proces in a few months. DDR5. PCIe 5.0. Hybrid Design + Windows 11 scheduler rebuilt ground up to take advantage of it.
Hybrid design will likely suck. Microsoft and rebuilt ground up :laughing:
AMD no longer have an advantage, as in 14nm vs 7nm. Intel even secured TSMC's 3nm line as a backup. How? Because Intel has more money than AMD. Way more.

AMD will always be considered the cheaper brand.

Nvidia dominate on the GPU side.
Intel dominate on the CPU side.
AMD will release 3D V-cache CPU and still have advantage. AMD will also release 5nm CPU's next year.

More information about Intel:s "domination: https://www.techspot.com/community/topics/amd-is-smashing-intel-in-retail-desktop-cpu-sales.270480/
AMD has 20% GPU marketshare at most. Nvidia 80% or more. Nvidia owns the higher end category. AMD mostly sell cheap GPU's.

AMD has less than 30% CPU desktop marketshare. Intel 70%. AMD mostly sell cheap CPU's.
Nvidia has around same GPU marketshare as AMD has. Intel wins there.

Intel's marketshare is going down.
AMD has less than 5% of laptop market. Intel 95%, especially dominating the enterprise markets. Why? AMD can't deliver. Their mobile availability is terribe. Everyone that works in the field knows this. Our company bought 100s of Intel laptops during lockdown, and a few AMD Ryzen (took forever to be delivered). Intel was spitting chips out all day while AMD waits for TSMC to deliver. The perk of making the chips yourself.
Laptop buyers are *****s like I have proven many times. Even when Intel had serious problems (like 6 months wait time) morons still bought Intel.

That's why AMD has little interest for mobile chips. Buyers are just stupid. Buyer intelligence: desktop >> server >>> mobile.
Enterprise/Server marketshare; AMD 10% at most, Intel 90%.

AMD is the cheap brand. Always will be. Unless AMD have superior price/perf, people will go Intel/Nvidia. AMD is cheap for a reason.
Right now Intel is one that's competing with price.

Even when AMD had superior price/perf, people still bought Nvidia. Means: Nvidia buyers are morons. Thanks for proving my points.
I have a Ryzen 3600 in my server. Decent CPU for encoding etc, but sucks for gaming. Good value tho, if it did not have good value, I would never have bought it.

Ryzen 1000 and 2000 sucked immensely. TSMC 7nm is the only reason why 3000 and 5000 series became good, and AMD loses this advantage now that Intel release Alder Lake.
Loses What advantage? Alder lake will be hot as Hell.
Sad but true. AMD had a good run tho. And I'm glad they did, because I sold my AMD stocks at the peak with a 1475% jump.

I bought Intel stocks now. In a few years, they will be up 500% or more for sure. You will see and I'm looking forward to reap the profit once again.

I bought for $15.000 AMD stocks back in 2016... You do the math ;)

My Nvidia stocks I still have, up 1200% in 5 years. Not peaked yet.
Ah, Intel shareholder. Now I understand.

And if they get any, they should be forced to give AMD priority of those fabs at discounted prices, as atonement for all the illegal cr@p that Intel has done to them.

I‘d still prefer GloFo to change ownership and receive funding to at least get to 7nm.

They will never hit 7nm. Fabs need to be rebuilt ground up. AMD fled for a reason from this project.

TSMC was AMDs savior.
It was GlobalFoundries that cancelled 7nm because they considered it too expensive investment. They also should have offered 5nm and 3nm for same customers that wanted 7nm. And as we know, smaller node are exponentially more expensive. However AMD had nothing to do with that. Basically if GlobalFoundries want 7nm production, it's still only money problem.

At least last sentence is exactly right.

The "illegal crap" Intel did was only retroactively deemed illegal _after_ they did it. They gave discounts to their biggest customers, you know, like every freaking company on the entire planet does?

The EU retroactively fined Intel for doing something completely legal for anyone else because they were deemed too big afterwards.

You know the REALLY ironic part? Guess who got that great pricing that triggered the whole thing to begin with? The f*cking EU. Intel literally saved EU taxpayers millions and the EU fined them for it because AMD threw a tantrum that no one was buying their garbage FX CPUs at higher prices than Intel CPUs that crushed them.

That whole ordeal is a testament to what a joke the EU is and should make you hate AMD, not Intel. Don't forget AMD lost a class action lawsuit for directly screwing their own customers over lying about their FX CPUs.

I like the new AMD but it's fanboys are insufferable children that border on a cult like Apple fans.

Fanboy much? I hate all 3 companies because of their profiteering but pretty much everything you said is incorrect.

The "illegal crap" Intel did was only retroactively deemed illegal _after_ they did it. They gave discounts to their biggest customers, you know, like every freaking company on the entire planet does?
Giving money for not using AMD is pretty far from "discount".
The EU retroactively fined Intel for doing something completely legal for anyone else because they were deemed too big afterwards.
How about reading more about that lawsuit?
Don't forget AMD lost a class action lawsuit for directly screwing their own customers over lying about their FX CPUs.
AMD didn't lose, instead decided to settle it for pennies.

Also AMD didn't lie about FX CPUs, how about again writing some facts and not fanboy BS.
I like the new AMD but it's fanboys are insufferable children that border on a cult like Apple fans.
At least AMD "fanboys" know much more than anti-AMD "fanboys".

I live very close to Intel now. I wonder if they will drop this mega-fab in Hillsboro where the rest of the factories and campuses are located?

Back