Intel will equip certain Alder Lake-M and Alder Lake-S processors with a GT3 Xe graphics...

nanoguy

Staff member
In brief: Alder Lake CPUs for desktops are almost here, but it's not yet clear if Intel wants to launch mobile parts at the same time or space out the two releases. Rumors and leaks so far point to the November 2021 - April 2022 timeframe, and it looks like Alder Lake-M and Alder Lake-S CPUs could come with GT3 Xe graphics solutions.

Intel's first batch of Alder Lake processors for desktops will break cover in the coming weeks, and we've already seen extensive leaks for everything from specifications, benchmark results, motherboard chipsets, new stock coolers, as well as what to expect in terms of pricing from several retailers, including Amazon.

The company has talked a lot about the general architecture improvements in Alder Lake during Architecture Day 2021 but didn't go into a lot of detail, especially when it comes to its upcoming laptop and ultrabook processors. Luckily, a new leak spotted by Twitter user @Komachi_Ensaka in a new coreboot patch offers some insight into the integrated graphics that will be found in Alder Lake-M chips.

Previously, another coreboot patch revealed that Intel could have as many as four categories of Alder Lake CPUs for mobile devices, with Alder Lake-M being the ultra low power offering with a TDP of only 9 watts and a top-end configuration with two Golden Cove (performance) cores and eight Gracemont (efficiency) cores.

The new coreboot patch includes references for "INTEL_ADL_M_GT3," likely Intel's Alder Lake Mobile GT3 Xe solution, in addition to mentions of GT1 and GT2. GT3 will have 96 execution units that are now called Vector Engines, and we expect to see it in higher-end Alder Lake-M CPUs. Lower-end parts from that segment will utilize a different configuration with either 64 or 48 execution units.

For Alder Lake-S CPUs, it looks like Intel will stick with GT1, which is essentially the same UHD Graphics G1 engine that Intel has used in its 10th generation Ice Lake-U parts ported to the new Intel 7 process node. Meanwhile, Alder Lake-P CPUs will come with either GT2 or GT3 integrated graphics solutions with 96 execution units based on the Xe LP architecture.

It's possible that Intel will bring back the Iris Pro branding for high-end integrated graphics under the usual GT3 moniker, but it's too early to say for sure. As for when we can expect to see the first laptops with Alder Lake CPUs, a separate leak related to the production schedule for these parts suggests we will see them in the November 2021 - April 2022 timeline.

Permalink to story.

I wonder if AMD will have Zen 3+ with something better than Vega graphics by then. If not then intel might have a winner but well, new architecture and traditionally terrible driver support for the igpu part will still not help their case with me but with most manufacturers hesitant to build AMD laptops (Or more likely, contractually obligated to do intel rigs) it would probably see AMD stall in a big way even though they've had the far superior product for laptops for a year now.

I wonder if AMD will have Zen 3+ with something better than Vega graphics by then. If not then intel might have a winner but well, new architecture and traditionally terrible driver support for the igpu part will still not help their case with me but with most manufacturers hesitant to build AMD laptops (Or more likely, contractually obligated to do intel rigs) it would probably see AMD stall in a big way even though they've had the far superior product for laptops for a year now.

I don't expect RDNA2 until Zen4.

AMD is normally behind on having both their best GPU arch and CPU arch together at the same time. We'll see Zen4 and RDNA2 while RDNA3 is either out or soon to launch.

AMD's main focus really is the data center, they know that is where the money is. They are slowly breaking into that market, but far from being a market leader.

I don't expect RDNA2 until Zen4.

AMD is normally behind on having both their best GPU arch and CPU arch together at the same time. We'll see Zen4 and RDNA2 while RDNA3 is either out or soon to launch.

AMD's main focus really is the data center, they know that is where the money is. They are slowly breaking into that market, but far from being a market leader.

Small caveat: they're normally behind specifically for consumer applications: they did put the best they've got on both the consoles at the time. The consoles are not specifically data centers yet on AMD's side it is still B2B for them so far more profitable which goes to your overall point.

Other than that I agree: I said "something better than Vega" precisely because I am hoping they don't release the Zen3+ rounds of APU with the same Vega cores and that they include RDNA 1 cores at the very least but it's unlikely they'll go RDNA 2

Intel has put their top mobile iGPU in the NUC series since the Broadwell days, with the notable exception of 10th Gen, so this comes as no surprise as they'll probably end up there. However this may be the first time there's no other big vendor for these decent iGPU parts as Apple had been using these since the Haswell days when GT3e was introduced. Now that Apple's using the M1, I wonder if the other occasional buyers like Microsoft (Surface) and Lenovo will snap up more of these.

Because without that dependable demand, I wonder if they'll keep making these in any quantity or even at all in a few years.

So, no Alder Lake CPU launching soon is going to have Intel Arc graphics? Xe-LP is the best we get from Intel until Alder Lake-H in Q3 or Q4 2022.

Back