Intel working to eliminate passwords through palm reading technology

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Intel is actively developing a palm reading technology that they hope will allow users to log into online services more easily. The company believes that biometrics offer an escape from the problems that accompany traditional passwords – having too many complicated passwords for too many different websites.

Intel demonstrated a tablet equipped with special software and a biometric sensor at IDF that is able to recognize the veins in a person’s palm. Much like a fingerprint, a person’s vein pattern is unique to that individual but we are told this biometric technology works much better than finger-printer readers found on a number of modern notebooks.

During the demo, Intel director of security research Sridhar Iyengar waved his hand in front of the tablet’s sensor. Once the slate recognized him, it was able to communicate his identity to social networks, banks and other accounts he owns.

Allowing a notebook, tablet or smartphone to be responsible for indentifying a user would remove that requirement from websites. As such, users would no longer need to manually enter password information to access accounts at various websites. Iyengar said Intel plans to work directly with service providers to take full advantage of the technology.

Mobile devices equipped with an accelerometer would be able to detect when a logged in user puts the device down. At that point, the software would log the user off to prevent any unauthorized access.

Intel says the technology will require manufacturers to add a biometric sensor to consumer devices as well as the specialized software but it won’t require a new type of chip.

Permalink to story.

Why do people keep so many complicated passwords in the first place? ;)

And how then will you change your "palm print" password after they get released following a hack attack?

Just do like half the people and use "password", no need to remember complicated password and you can share it with your friends.

I had my palm read in New Orleans, and I'll admit I've got concerns about the accuracy of that technology. Tarot reading on the other hand, now that's legit ;)

Great now when an employee is sick and we're needing a file off a computer ASAP they'll have to in come with grubby palms in and get the rest of the office sick =)

Sounds like bad news for anyone who loses their hands in an accident...

I had my palm read in New Orleans, and I'll admit I've got concerns about the accuracy of that technology. Tarot reading on the other hand, now that's legit ;)
I'd be worrying that I'd short it out...you are supposed to cross the palm with silver prior to a reading, right?

Louisianan's might assume that Intel's solution has a hidden lightscribe facility.

This would keep finger print files up to date with local law enforcement. :)
Louisianan's might assume that Intel's solution has a hidden lightscribe facility.
Coming from someone in a neighboring state as well as having relatives in Louisiana and also being somewhat religious, I find that repulsive. That is nothing more than parents taking the opportunity to fight a school system for trying to modernize.

This would keep finger print files up to date with local law enforcement. :)

This way of thinking is what scares the crap out of me. Police should never have access to any fingerprint, or other biometric data stored at a school, just for the purpose of keeping their files up to date. This seems like a much more valid argument as to why parents would be against using that technology, because it's only a matter of time before police enter the schools with search warrants to seize the data, and violate the 4th amendment of a lot of kids.

Coming from someone in a neighboring state as well as having relatives in Louisiana and also being somewhat religious, I find that repulsive. That is nothing more than parents taking the opportunity to fight a school system for trying to modernize.

As someone that used to live in New Orleans, I think it's hilarious.

"And how then will you change your "palm print" password after they get released following a hack attack?"

LOL. good point. Victim: "Someone stole money from my bank account!" Law enforcement: "But it was your print that accessed it... your screwed."

Back