Intel's 8th-gen Core CPUs will again be 14nm

Scorpus

Staff member

Intel confirmed at their annual Investor Day in California that some of their 8th-generation Core processors will remain on a 14nm manufacturing node. This will be the fourth consecutive year that Intel's main processor line will use 14nm technology.

Intel are slowly progressing towards products built at 10nm, but it seems 10nm will not hit high-performance consumer parts first like in previous generations. Instead, Intel are focusing on data center parts "first for next process node", along with ultra-low-power consumer chips. While this news will disappoint PC hardware enthusiasts, the data center is a massive market and money-spinner for Intel, so it makes sense to focus their efforts there.

According to Ashraf Eassa, who attended the Investor Day, Intel's VP and GM of Client and IoT, Dr. Venkata Renduchintala, said that process technology will be "fluid" based on the product segment. As such, it seems as though Intel's 8th-generation processor line will contain a mixture of architectures and nodes.

It is currently believed the 8th-gen Core line will feature both Cannon Lake and Coffee Lake processors. Intel will use Cannon Lake, their 10nm die shrink of Kaby Lake, for ultra-low-power Y-series processors (Core M). Coffee Lake, the fourth line of 14nm processors with further process and architecture optimizations, will form the rest of the 8th-gen Core line-up from U-series ultraportable parts to S-series desktop parts.

Intel expects 8th-generation processors to be upwards of 15 percent faster than Kaby Lake in some situations.

Intel's 8th-generation line-up may end up being quite confusing, especially if a Kaby Lake U-series refresh is also included in the mix. Expect to hear more about Intel's plans closer to launch in the second half of 2017.

Permalink to story.

Just all more the reason to hold out.

Until Intel shifts to smaller formats, power dissipation stays relatively static.

Until performance increases are greatly balanced with marked power reductions,
upgrading just keeps the silicon valley robots alive.

Great, so we are getting that same "15%" in very specific situations that skylake brought on intel's 8th gen. Intel is not only leaving the door open for Zen but also for AMD's second iteration on that technology.

Until Intel shifts to smaller formats, power dissipation stays relatively static.

As far as gaming and photoshop is concerned, I still can't justify the cost of upgrading my 3770k. I don't even currently have it overclocked. I've had it stable at 5ghz, but the most I see running a 24/7 OC is 4.5-4.6. Even the 7700k is only 30% faster in very specific benchmarks. I might see mild increases in photoshop and lightroom, but it's not worth an extra ~$300. Lets start talking 70-100% increase in performance and then I'll start looking at an upgrade.

My GTX680, on the other hand, has got to go.... I saw it listed as a minimum requirement for some game the other day and my heart sunk....

Last edited:

As far as gaming and photoshop is concerned, I still can't justify the cost of upgrading my 3770k. I don't even currently have it overclocked. I've had it stable at 5ghz, but the most I see running a 24/7 OC is 4.5-4.6. Even the 7700k is only 30% faster in very specific benchmarks. I might see mild increases in photoshop and lightroom, but it's not worth and extra ~$300. Lets start talking 70-100% increase in performance and then I'll start looking at an upgrade.

My GTX680, on the other hand, has got to go.... I saw it listed as a minimum requirement for some game the other day and my heart sunk....

The past few generations of Intel processors are going to remain relevant and extremely useful for quite a while it seems. GPUs are where it's at. For now.

The past few generations of Intel processors are going to remain relevant and extremely useful for quite a while it seems. GPUs are where it's at. For now.
I game so little anymore I'd be happy with a 1060, maybe a 1070 depending on how my taxes turn out this year.... I was considering going with an AMD card, but I feel more comfortable in the nVidia ecosystem. I've been using them ever since my FX 5600 back in 2003-2004 I think? then I had an Asus N6600, PNY 8800GT SLi(was a disaster, SLI hardly worked at all back then), Asus GTX 470, and now my MSI GTX 680. I can't even remember what I had before that. I know I did have a 3dfx voodoo2 and some radeon card after that

I game so little anymore I'd be happy with a 1060, maybe a 1070 depending on how my taxes turn out this year.... I was considering going with an AMD card, but I feel more comfortable in the nVidia ecosystem. I've been using them ever since my FX 5600 back in 2003-2004 I think? then I had an Asus N6600, PNY 8800GT SLi(was a disaster, SLI hardly worked at all back then), Asus GTX 470, and now my MSI GTX 680. I can't even remember what I had before that. I know I did have a 3dfx voodoo2 and some radeon card after that

If you game at 1080p the 1070 is the best bang for the buck and will likely have the most longevity re: increasing demands on VRAM.

GTX 680 O_O

Bravo. That's lasted you a long time.

I wish I could stay off upgrades so long. I've had 3 GPU's since the 680 was king :O
I'm pushing 30, I hardly game at all anymore. When I do game its mostly older games. Been playing cod4, oblivion and borderlands 1 recently so I can max those out no problem.
I only start to have problems with 2015 games and up.

If you game at 1080p the 1070 is the best bang for the buck and will likely have the most longevity re: increasing demands on VRAM.
I game at 1080p, but I've been looking at 1440p monitors. I have no problem turning the settings down. I was gaming in the mid 90s. As long as view distance is good I can turn down everything else. I almost always turn off foliage because things popping into view drives me nuts.

Last edited:
I'm pushing 30, I hardly game at all anymore. When I do game its mostly older games. Been playing cod4, oblivion and borderlands 1 recently so I can max those out no problem.
I only start to have problems with 2015 games and up.

I game at 1080p, but I've been looking at 1440p monitors. I have no problem turning the settings down. I was gaming in the mid 90s. As long as view distance is good I can turn down everything else. I almost always turn off foliage because things popping into view drives me nuts.

Same here :p Playing a lot of older titles when I get round to it. All the consoles are gathering dust.
I think this upcoming graphics card line up will be my last.

Definitely look into adaptive sync along with 1440p. It will let you pick up a lower end card yet drive a high res display without tearing.

I am planning to get i7-7700k this year, so no reason to wait cuz 10nm process won't be there for 2-3 years and who knows if first models are going to be good.

Yeah, I saw a GTX 1050 Ti vs. GTX 680 and they were on par, sometimes with the 1050 even beating it. I upgraded my GTX 670 to a GTX 1070 last December and I'm pretty happy with my purchase.

I am planning to get i7-7700k this year, so no reason to wait cuz 10nm process won't be there for 2-3 years and who knows if first models are going to be good.

It would be interesting to see your reasons for purchasing a Kaby Lake. In my book, purchasing the current Kaby Lake i5's and i7's supports Intel's mediocreness. I would recommend a Haswell instead, but can understand going for SKL and its DDR4 support.

I'm still on an overclocked Core i5 2500k. Originally had a 560Ti, recently upgraded to a 1070 --- with 16GB RAM and EVO 840 SSD, I still don't feel any need to upgrade my processor after 6 years.

Great, so we are getting that same "15%" in very specific situations that skylake brought on intel's 8th gen. Intel is not only leaving the door open for Zen but also for AMD's second iteration on that technology.
When you can show me that AMD has actually equalled or improved on performance versus Intel's, I will say ok, at the moment you are just hanging on the hype and all I can say is cool story bro, because performance wise they don't even get close.

Same here :p Playing a lot of older titles when I get round to it. All the consoles are gathering dust.
I think this upcoming graphics card line up will be my last.

Definitely look into adaptive sync along with 1440p. It will let you pick up a lower end card yet drive a high res display without tearing.

That's the beauty of it. The PC platform just lets you do whatever you want. From playing way old games to bleeding edge VR .

I'm still on an overclocked Core i5 2500k. Originally had a 560Ti, recently upgraded to a 1070 --- with 16GB RAM and EVO 840 SSD, I still don't feel any need to upgrade my processor after 6 years.

The 2500k is an excellent proc but you should consider upgrading when Zen comes out (either to intel or AMD after the prices drop). Certain games like Battlefield 1 will bottleneck unless you have an insane OC.

For Moore's Law to keep working in the next decades, they probably will need quantum computers with storage and ram using DNA storage. One day, perhaps the binary code will become obsolete along with actual HDD and SSD.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quantum_computing
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DNA_digital_data_storage

Maybe but people have been hailing Quantum for a long time and nothing has propagated through the market. For now let's just focus on what's in front of us. That is smaller lithography, better substrate, and innovative manufacturing processes layering (3D).

Maybe but people have been hailing Quantum for a long time and nothing has propagated through the market. For now let's just focus on what's in front of us. That is smaller lithography, better substrate, and innovative manufacturing processes layering (3D).
Yes, but the problem is that they will soon be down to 10 nanometers. They will hit a wall after 6 nonometers. Below that quantum tunneling starts to become a problem. So they must work on the next technology now because it might take one or two decades before it's perfect.

Yes, but the problem is that they will soon be down to 10 nanometers. They will hit a wall after 6 nonometers. Below that quantum tunneling starts to become a problem. So they must work on the next technology now because it might take one or two decades before it's perfect.

Other substrates like Graphite help against quantum tunneling.

Intels new 8 gen chip comes with great thermal interface material??? the 7xxx series chips have poor tim and need to be delided and then relided this is unaceptable

geta 6700 instead teh new 7xxx series chips have poor thermal interface material enless you want to delid then relid your brand new processor

For Moore's Law to keep working in the next decades, they probably will need quantum computers with storage and ram using DNA storage. One day, perhaps the binary code will become obsolete along with actual HDD and SSD.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quantum_computing
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DNA_digital_data_storage

https://www.techspot.com/community/...0-qubits-hefty-price-tag.232869/#post-1587343

I'm flashing on card deck programming branch to branch
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Computer_programming_in_the_punched_card_era
and PC ne pre-Neanderthals
http://www.oldcomputers.net/altair-8800.html
as they expanded out of Olduvai like Albuquerque
into new lands and new ecologies,
adapting and changing the landscape.
44 years from there to here.
Here's a short tail (sic) to make you smile.

It was about 2028 when Del and Dwayne were in Dwayne's living room before the mandatory exercise time. Del had just got back from the docbot and was going over the menu's he was going to have to eat before the next visit. Attached, as usual, was his genome map.

For no other reason than boredom, he scrolled down and a notice at the bottom had both parents contribution separated and included their methylation changes.

Del said to Dwayne "I wonder, what I would have looked like if I had your dad".

"Pretty much the same as me" opined Dwayne. "My map says dad's methylation suppresses and that's why my brothers and I look so much alike."

"Well, I got new Samvidia goggles for my birthday, I'm gonna model it."

"Maybe, let me finish this 3d rat sim maze for next year's biology class and I'll help".

"Why are you always doing next year's homework before it's due? You know how weird that it?

"You're the only one I tell about it. And I get bored. Brain dev games are too easy for me." "Anyway, I'm done."

"So lets see. Link your genome, here's mine. Yeah you have to enter the password twice. No clue why. Programming bug probably."

"Ok, my goggles say this is gonna take 45 minutes for the model generation. What about those new Samvids?"

"My Samvids say 5 minutes, but says it needs some cloud time, its gonna cost about 3 bccreds. I got 20 from gran on my bd so I'm good. You?"

"Nah, I spent my bd money on some paper comix. Alsin only publishes on paper and you have to wait a month before the hxnet can decrypt the schlieren nano layer to get it online. So I didn't wait."

"Well, I'll loan you 3. We're gonna have to run em both on the samvid anyway if we're gonna get em before the ciser bot shows up."

"Simulation complete" panned across the virtual walls. Del write shared with Dwayne, and they both gazed at their wuddaben virtual selves.

Pulling up his mom at 12, Del said, "I can always see her in my face on the overlay, but your dad's DNA completely changes the parts."

Dwayne, "Look at how much smaller my chin is and the eye space is a whole cm closer. Wow! Look at the iris size though. Looks like a japanime hero."

The Samvidia chimed, "Ancestral links complete." "Display?"

Dwayne said "Ancestral links?"

"Yeah, I'm reading the spec page and it doesn't tell me what that is. There's some kind of beta code sandboxed in there, but it says the code doesn't work yet."

"Well, let's see what an ancestral link is!"

Del flicked his finger. A wall of faces appeared. Each one speaking with no sound. He chose the fifth one back. A voice audid in.

"Ah, you can hear me now. We were wondering when you were going to break the encryption. Hello. I'm your great great great grandfather."

Last edited:
Back