Intel's Cascade Lake-X Core-i9 CPUs appear on Geekbench

midian182

Staff member
Something to look forward to: We know that Intel is preparing to launch its Cascade Lake-X processors next month, which explains why the 10th-gen chips are now showing up in Geekbench. First came the Core i9-10900X, then the Core i9-10980XE appeared.

Intel’s next line of HEDT CPUs is a Skylake-X refresh that’s still on the 14nm++ process node, and, as shown by the Geekbench entries that used an X299 motherboard, remain compatible with its LGA 2066-based mobos.

First up is the entry-level Core i9-10900X, which boasts 10 cores and 20 threads. According to Geekbench, it has a 3.47GHz base clock and 4.4GHz boost, but momomo_us, who discovered the benchmarks, says it will have a base of 3.7GHz at launch.

The Core i9-10900X has a single-core score of 5204 and a multi-core score of 39717. That puts it ahead of the 18-core/36-thread Core i9-7980XE and AMD’s Threadripper 2950X

Soon after that entry was spotted, the line’s flagship CPU appeared: the Core i9-10980XE. The 18-core/36-thread chip’s entry shows a base clock of 2.46GHz and a boost clock of 3.93GHz, though some sites believe that the base will be higher, and the boost clock will reach 4.7GHz.

Geekbench has the Core i9-10980XE single-core score down as 5381, while its multi-core score is 51514. That puts it way above the competition, especially when it comes to multi-core scores. You can see a comparison with other CPUs in the table below, courtesy of HotHardware.

The rest of the Cascade Lake-X family is made up of the Core i9-10920X (12-core/24-thread) and Core i9-10940X (14-core, 28-thread). Intel says its new chips offer between 1.74 to 2.09 times more performance per dollar than Skylake-X, but they will face a stiff challenge from the Zen 2-based third-generation Threadripper 3000 processors, which use the 7nm process node. If previous benchmarks are anywhere near accurate (5932 single-core/93344 multi-core), AMD’s CPUs might blow Cascade Lake-X away.

Permalink to story.

It's amazing how powerful intel CPU are now. You can still game in 4K using a 4790 and a 1080Ti or RTX 2060 (or better).

I bet they still have the same security holes as the 4th, 5th, 6th, 7th and 8th generation. They change the number of cores and clocks, but make sure they don't patch the security holes.

"But Geekbench is not a real world application", make up your mind, Intel.
sIntel is stricken with panic and abject fear ATM. The AMD zombie rose from the dead and sIntel's efforts to kill it have completely failed. They are spewing marketing speak in an effort to maintain a hypnotic and captive hold on their fanbois. :laughing:

The AMD zombie rose from the dead and sIntel's efforts to kill it have completely failed. They are spewing marketing speak in an effort to maintain a hypnotic and captive hold on their fanbois. :laughing:
I'm not an anybody's 'fanboi', but if that 51514 is right and so is the price and other chipset features, I'd go for the Intel option. - sorry!

After all these years of building Intel rigs, I prefer to give the underdog a chance this time around. Intel just appears to be so out of touch and ignorant when it comes to the consumer and the climate of PC industry these days. I've been collecting PC parts since BF of last year and only need the mobo, CPU, PSU and RAM to complete my build. Once AMD can finally keep a 3700X in stock at MSRP, it's a go.

Back