Intel's Clarkdale CPUs in stock at Newegg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matthew DeCarlo

Staff

Intel's Clarkdale processors have arrived at Newegg. Although Newegg offers free shipping on all the chips, The Tech Report notes the store is charging a touch more than Intel's official price list. All of the processors are built on 32nm fabrication, have two cores, four threads, and 4MB of L3 cache. Likewise, all of the integrated graphics cores are clocked at 733MHz -- except the i5-661, which has a 900MHz GPU.

Processor Base speed Turbo speed Intel Price Newegg Price
Core i3-530 2.93GHz - $113 $124.99
Core i3-540 3.06GHz - $133 $144.99
Core i5-650 3.20GHz 3.46GHz $176 $194.99
Core i5-660 3.33GHz 3.60GHz $196 $207.99
Core i5-661 3.33GHz 3.60GHz $196 $209.99
Core i5-670 3.46GHz 3.73GHz $284 $299.99

Intel held its first CES 2010 press event today, officially announcing the already well-detailed Arrandale and Clarkdale lines. The company plans to roll out some 27 total SKUs over the next year, and Engadget has a table with all the forthcoming goods. The site also notes that Intel's afternoon keynote might reveal something the public hasn't seen.

Permalink to story.

These seem a little pricey compared to the equivalent AMD processors, especially considering the mobo prices.

slh28 said:
These seem a little pricey compared to the equivalent AMD processors, especially considering the mobo prices.

The pricing is indeed curious. Even Techspots review points out that Core i5-661 is priced more then AMDs high end quad cores and at the same price point as the Core i5-750. I would definitely get the 750 over the 661 as real cores beat HT anyday.

These are really going to be targeting the mainstream PC market though as a system builder (Dell/HP/etc. . ) can advertise a higher clock rate on a system at a lower price as they don't need to provide a separate graphics card (then they can charge more for graphics card upgrades :p ) Basically these will end up replacing most of the core 2 duos.

H55 and H57 motherboard prices seem fairly reasonable to me- 85-100 euro's for some offerings from Biostar and Gigabyte- which would make the ECS board around 9.99 (including a set of ginzu steak knives no doubt).
BTW what would a comparable AMD offering be pairing a 3GHz and 3.2-3.33GHz CPU and comparable mobo?
First person who offers a reasoned reply gets to sit at the big persons table!

Intel's Clarkdale processors have arrived at Newegg. Although Newegg offers free shipping on all the chips, The Tech Report notes the store is charging a touch more than Intel's official price list.
That shouldn't impede sales. After all, the "I gotta have it the day it comes out" crowd, is used to getting ripped off. In fact, they seem to revel, if not even rejoice in it.

Ah yes, the tech-head's masochistic elation at watching the value of their new componentry halve on a quarterly basis

yikes, it looks like it would be at least u UD4P and an X4 945 to stand up to the 6xx series, and then even lacking some.

And I think the ECS board can now be had for two easy payments of $3.99......but wait! there's more! it comes with the Ginzu's and as an added bonus...hinge pillow technology!

AMD had better get its a** in gear and offer a new architecture or they will be a Cyrix/IBM like memory........now pass the gravy Divide.

the real winner is the i3-530. cheap, fast, overclockable, and uses the least power. sounds like a winner to me

I know its completely non-scientific, but every time I bought an AMD processor I had problems with my computer which led to eventual frying and garbage. My Intel chips, on the other hand, are all still sitting fully functional in my junk drawer, dead by obsolescence.

But I also have to say that the market now is for a second or even third household computer. Sure you can have the Ferrari for the gaming, but when it comes to a HTPC or NAS, noise, heat and cost start being more important than just horsepower.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back