Intel's ongoing search for a CEO may place diversity as top priority

Greg S

Why it matters: Intel really needs to find a new leader before the competition gets too far ahead. Questions should be raised as to whether Intel is actually considering candidates with the right strategy instead of putting too much emphasis on making statisticians happy with diversity numbers.

After running former CEO Brian Krzanich out of town over an affair with an employee, Intel has been running under interim leader and CFO Bob Swan. Mr. Swan has repeatedly denied any interest in taking up the position of CEO full time. As the search for a leader continues, there have been no signs that a candidate is any closer to being found.

Filling any executive level position can take several months, but Intel is facing unique challenges in finding a desirable candidate. As a result of being located in California, diversity legislation is apparently being taken into heavy consideration during the search. Chairman Andy Bryant is said to have told employees that a "non-traditional" candidate is likely going to be selected, meaning that women and minorities from outside the company have a very good chance at the job over others.

Under the helm of Krzanich, executive pay was linked with meeting diversity goals. From 2015 to 2018, the proportion of women in Intel's workforce rose three percent and now account for nearly 20 percent of leadership positions.

Finding a suitable candidate sooner rather than later is critical for Intel. Building a new foundry can take upwards of a year assuming that no delays are encountered. Rising competition from AMD and shortages in current manufacturing capabilities have become real problems for Intel. Decisions to make major investments and change company strategy must come from executive leaders if the company intends to remain cohesive and at the top of the industry.

Intel's next quarterly results will post on January 24. The board of directors is aiming to try and find a CEO before then.

Permalink to story.

If you dig into the word's origin, you will find that diverse to a large extent is an acronym for disorder, which more aptly conveys the true meaning.

Politicians are educating business leaders now .... if you do not grasp the idea of diversity, bang your head on the wall, like for a week, let the excess of brain matter out, and have plenty of LSD, you may become a fully-qualified diversity candidate by then, see things clearly, unburdened by false wisdoms.

You may have parents who worked their asses off to give you a good education, and then you studying like crazy to graduate for that dream job of yours, only to find out it was instead given to a cross of monkey with a donkey, of unknown gender, who fit the diversity profile. Then you will start seeing the funny side of life.

Great living in a society where completely happy can only be a complete imbecile!

Last edited:
Woah there guys, check your white male privilege before spewing your anti-diversity hate rhetoric. #wrongsideofhistory #thecurrentyear4.0

Well, AMD seems to have done well in that respect, so maybe it will be good for Intel too.

Though given that Asians are the only group consistently over-represented in high-tech in the US, I'd say that Intel should try to be more 'diverse' than AMD and get someone hispanic or black. A mexican woman who was once a man would be right about perfect.

Woah there guys, check your white male privilege before spewing your anti-diversity hate rhetoric. #wrongsideofhistory #thecurrentyear4.0
Bringing up white male privilege makes no sense, and comes across as anti-white racism. Intel needs to find the most qualified candidate that is capable of comprehending cutting edge litho engineering, their manufacturing process issues, marketing, and direct sales to OEM's. I really don't care who it is, as long as it's a competent and knowledgeable human being.

Diversity for the sake of diversity? Stupid. I would be all for diversity if the candidate was actually capable of holding said position. I don't give a crap what nationality the person comes from, if they can do the job then they deserve it. However if the person is elected to be CEO because of diversity and they can't even boil an egg without bungling it then they don't deserve the job.

What has the world come to?!?!?

this is stupid. Diversity just to please reporters?!?! If they can do the job, fine, but under no circumstances should non white males be given any better chances than white males (again, if the non white male can do the job, that's great, but they shouldn't be given an advantage)

Well, AMD seems to have done well in that respect, so maybe it will be good for Intel too.

I always thought it is because Lisa Su is smart, competent and had the right resources. It had nothing to do with her sex.

To dismiss someone based on gender or ethnicity is just as stupid as hiring someone based on gender or ethnicity.

Intel gives the press a bit of lip service and the result is wadded panties at TechSpot. Why wouldn't the eggheads at Intel hire (their guess for) the best person for as CEO? Like Meg Whitman or Marissa Mayer. Actually they'd only do that just after a market or company downturn to they can play the diversity card, but then oust the diversity after those predictable down years citing poor performance and grab the next regular joe during the inevitable company recovery.

So, a black muslim transgender ex-con with dyspraxia would be perfect for the job. Or a Mexican. I don't know which is more "oh no you didn't!" in today's US society.

This seems like fake/misleading news.

Read the original Bloomberg article. It seems that they're just talking about past effort of basically having more women in a male dominated field. While the CEO search talk was strictly based on people who actually qualify, but that unlike the past, they may go with a non-traditional candidate, someone outside of Intel. And that it might even be a woman.

They're not simplistically suggesting that they're going to hire a woman just for the sake of it.

This seems like fake/misleading news.

Read the original Bloomberg article. It seems that they're just talking about past effort of basically having more women in a male dominated field. While the CEO search talk was strictly based on people who actually qualify, but that unlike the past, they may go with a non-traditional candidate, someone outside of Intel. And that it might even be a woman.

They're not simplistically suggesting that they're going to hire a woman just for the sake of it.
Yes they are, everybody at TechSpot says so!

This diversity silliness is part of what ruined govt. with the election of unqualified candidates based on gender, skin color, etc. And it's what will ruin more businesses if they fall into doing it.

Ironically, diversity hiring is an example of the soft bigotry of low expectations. It's the left's way of admitting (without admitting) that some people are low-tier & unqualified, but deserve something based on skin color, gender, sexual preferences, whatever.

Dude! You live somewhere that has diversity quotas in government? How is that managed, can only black people run in certain districts and only formerly male cross-dressing kumquats run in other districts? ****, the rules there must be damn complex.

I'm white and most sports I watch are 99% Black players. We need diversity, and talented players have the unfair advantage! I also want to see parallelized and blind people in the NBA and in other sports.

Also I pay more for car insurance and I have about 20 years of perfect driving but women pay less than me.

Wow, "affirmative action", has finally hit the upper echelon of management. Never mind if they're qualified, just what their race, creed, or national origin is, as long as is not white.

Besides, people like Satya Nadella will work for a tenth of the money Bill Gates did.. :rolleyes:

But he is absolutely ruthless. How did Windows 10 feel as a suppository download? How many of you liked that feeling, and are still claiming to be straight? :laughing:

Last edited:
And thus all CEOs become actor-puppets - just like the US presidency did, back in 1789.
But dude, all the men in charge wore powdered wigs back then, how could you tell who was what, or what was who?

I think British jurists still do wear those funky wigs.

To go back a bit further, it is rumored that Richard "the Lion Hearted", was banging Phillip of France. (I hope I have those facts and actors correct, this topic isn't worth a whole heck of a lot of research.

Although you should check out the film, "The Lion in Winter", for some insight. It starred Katherine Hepburn, and a male actor who became quite famous. It's embarrassing, although I was never really good with names, I'm getting worse by the day.

Oh, it was Anthony Hopkins as Richard the II. (Who needs a memory when you're got internet, right)?
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0063227/fullcredits

Diversity is a metric. Companies will often pick a candidate based on personality and company culture given equal aptitude among many candidates. They have been doing it that way for many years. You can do the job! Great! But you have to be able to connect personally with the interviewer.

Back