Interested in adding 2 GB of RAM

Status
Not open for further replies.

jdl26

I am somewhat of a newbie with RAM and the different chipsets. I know my systems takes DDR2 and I know I have 4 available slot (2 slots are already full with 1GB each). I want to get either 2x1GB sticks or just 1x2GB stick, whatever works the best. I put at the bottom my system information from Everest. Based on that information what would you guys recommend? Also, what are some of the better sites to purchase RAM from? Thanks everyone!

--------[ Overclock ]---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

CPU Properties:
CPU Type Unknown
CPUID CPU Name AMD Athlon(tm) 64 Processor 3500+
CPUID Revision 00050FF2h

CPU Speed:
CPU Clock 2219.91 MHz

CPU Cache:
L1 Code Cache 64 KB
L1 Data Cache 64 KB
L2 Cache 512 KB (Asynchronous)

Motherboard Properties:
Motherboard ID 12/29/2006-MCP61M-AM-6A61KE11C-00
Motherboard Name Unknown

BIOS Properties:
System BIOS Date 12/29/06
Video BIOS Date 02/21/06
Award BIOS Type Phoenix - Award WorkstationBIOS v6.00PG
Award BIOS Message This BIOS is exclusively for Acer only (R01-B1)
DMI BIOS Version R01-B1
[ Memory Devices / A0 ]

Memory Device Properties:
Form Factor DIMM
Size 512 MB
Total Width 64-bit
Data Width 64-bit
Device Locator A0
Bank Locator Bank0/1
Manufacturer None
Serial Number None
Asset Tag None
Part Number None

[ Memory Devices / A1 ]

Form Factor DIMM
Size 1024 MB
Total Width 64-bit
Data Width 64-bit
Device Locator A1
Bank Locator Bank2/3
Manufacturer None
Serial Number None
Asset Tag None
Part Number None

[ Memory Devices / A2 ]

Form Factor DIMM
Total Width 64-bit
Data Width 64-bit
Device Locator A2
Bank Locator Bank4/5
Manufacturer None
Serial Number None
Asset Tag None
Part Number None

[ Memory Devices / A3 ]

Form Factor DIMM
Total Width 64-bit
Data Width 64-bit
Device Locator A3
Bank Locator Bank6/7
Manufacturer None
Serial Number None
Asset Tag None
Part Number None

According to your printout you have 1.5GB of installed RAM. There could be up to 2GB installed with 512mb set aside for video memory. Not sure there. It might say right on the side of the DIMM.

Your Vista Home Basic is more than likely 32 bits, and as such it won't recognize (or be able to utilize), more than about 3GBs. My suggestion here is first; read the Tedster's memory thread. Second,find out if you machine has a separate video card (with it's own memory, not shared with the system). Third; hit Acer's (Is that right?) website to find out whose memory is certified to work with you machine, then post back so we can formulate a plan.

If your Vista is 64 bits you would be able to utilize more than 3GB, assuming the board itself is willing. The board may have the board manufacturers name written on it somewhere, so you might look arond a bit. I do mean look, (for now at least), don't touch. It's only one brand eliminated, but with an award BIOS it's more than likely not an Intel board.

Motherboard:
CPU Type Unknown, 2200 MHz
Motherboard Name Unknown
Motherboard Chipset Unknown
System Memory 1536 MB
BIOS Type Award (12/29/06)
Communication Port Communications Port (COM1)
Communication Port Communications Port (COM2)
Communication Port Printer Port (LPT1)

Motherboard ]

Motherboard Properties:
Manufacturer Acer
Product EM61SM/EM61PM

Radeon X1600/X1650 Series ]

Video Adapter Properties:
Device Description Radeon X1600/X1650 Series
Adapter String Radeon X1600/X1650 Series
BIOS String 113-A67611-107
Chip Type ATI Radeon Graphics Processor (0x71C2)
DAC Type Internal DAC(400MHz)
Installed Drivers atiumdag (7.14.10.0532), atiumdva (7.14.10.0167), atitmmxx (6.14.11.17)
Memory Size 512 MB

Video Adapter Manufacturer:
Company Name ATI Technologies Inc.
Product Information http://www.ati.com/products/gamer.html
Driver Download http://www.ati.com/support/driver.html

[ Radeon X1600/X1650 Series ]

Video Adapter Properties:
Device Description Radeon X1600/X1650 Series
Adapter String Radeon X1600/X1650 Series
BIOS String 113-A67611-107
Chip Type ATI Radeon Graphics Processor (0x71C2)
DAC Type Internal DAC(400MHz)
Installed Drivers atiumdag (7.14.10.0532), atiumdva (7.14.10.0167), atitmmxx (6.14.11.17)
Memory Size 512 MB

Video Adapter Manufacturer:
Company Name ATI Technologies Inc.
Product Information http://www.ati.com/products/gamer.html
Driver Download http://www.ati.com/support/driver.html

I aslo have a 32 bit OS, with 2 1G sticks currently installed.

Your ATI video adapter is responsible for the fact you only register 1.5GB of RAM. Half of the RAM module in your "Channel A, DIMM 0" is addressed separately to the video card. Thus the 1GB (1024MB) module with the 512 system reading.
My gut feeling here is to install a 512MB in "A2" and a 1024MB in "A3". This would balance the system so it would run in dual full channel mode. Right now it's running in what's called "dual channel interleaved mode". You can check that on the BIOS boot screen. It might go by pretty fast.

What happens is the first 512MB in each of your 2 modules runs as dual channel, and the top 512MB in DIMM "A2" runs as single channel.

3GB is about all a 32 bit OS can effectively utilize, Vista a bit more than XP (without modifying XP). So, with the RAM install pattern I've suggested, that should be about optimum for your rig.

Could you fire us off the Acer (?) model number of your computer?

My model number is Aspire T180.

Thank your very much for this information. I know that I was only running at 1.5GB but I assumed that this was due to Vista being such a cow on the memory. So if I understand you correctly, you would recommend that I get a 512MB stick and a 1GB as well? If so, what brand and speed would you recommend? I want something that is effective but also the best bang for my buck.

You have four slots Each memory slot can hold DDR2 PC2-6400,DDR2 PC2-5300,DDR2 PC2-8500,DDR2 PC2-4200 with a maximum of 1GB per slot.
However, some of those Acer Aspire T-boards will only work with 3 GB or memory, and others 3.5 GB. None will handle all four GBr. Your specs that came with the computer should tell you which. I would place 1 GB in each of two slots in matched pairs, and 512 MB in matched pairs in the other two slots.
That will give you a reasonable amount of operating room while still handling the video graphics memory needs.
Kingston, Crucial, Corsair, Infineon, and Buffalo are all reasonably priced. Fancier, costly high-end memory will make no difference. But using matched pairs does matter. Your Aspire will only work at the speed of the slowest module.

Thank you very much for that info! Can anyone recommend some good sites to purchase RAM from so I can get the best bang for my buck.

raybay said:
You have four slots Each memory slot can hold DDR2 PC2-6400,DDR2 PC2-5300,DDR2 PC2-8500,DDR2 PC2-4200 with a maximum of 1GB per slot.
However, some of those Acer Aspire T-boards will only work with 3 GB or memory, and others 3.5 GB. None will handle all four GBr. Your specs that came with the computer should tell you which. I would place 1 GB in each of two slots in matched pairs, and 512 MB in matched pairs in the other two slots.
That will give you a reasonable amount of operating room while still handling the video graphics memory needs.
Kingston, Crucial, Corsair, Infineon, and Buffalo are all reasonably priced. Fancier, costly high-end memory will make no difference. But using matched pairs does matter. Your Aspire will only work at the speed of the slowest module.

You did note that this machine is pulling 512 MB of memory for onboard video from A0?

It makes a BIG difference to the system board... sometimes,
Some boards built to accept PC4200 wont take PC6400, and even the reverse sometimes... but usually not. Laptops are sometimes too particular about memory... even to whether low density or high density form of chips and chip placement.

Field Value
Motherboard ID 12/29/2006-MCP61M-AM-6A61KE11C-00

I believe I have an Acer board. Is there somewhere in Everest that it will tell me what it's built to accept?

Everest will tell you what is there. It does not tell you what is not there.
You need a bit of computer knowledge to know what is needed. You can get that from other sources such as manufacturer of motherboard, and the manufacturer of all other devices listed by Everest.
Basically, you can usually look for the drivers once you know the device, but it will not tell you what to look for, or where.

Corsair, made by Samsung, is superb memory. I hate rebates, and TigerDirect is really awful if you have to return something (read their return policy, and their rebate policy)
If you want to get really "efficient" you have to study the timings and get specialized matched sets for about $200.
Look at www.directron.com, www.zipzoomfly.com, www.newegg.com, and www.outpost.com where you will also find excellent memory without the risk.
And take a look at www.crucial.com where the memory is always superb, with good prices and free shipping.

Thank you very much Raybay, I just placed an order through crucial, they scanned my computer and I was able to pickup two 1GB matched pairs.

I just received these two cards the other day. Do I have to change anything in the bios in order for my board to read the two additional slots? If not, can I just install the cards, then start pc with no changes necessary.

You should have no problems just installing the cards. Be careful in removal and installation to avoid breaking clips at the end. You will not want to apply too much force as any damage to the slot can be permenent.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back