Intermittent Network Outage?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all

I hope someone out there can throw some ideas at me to help me out with a problem with our IT system at work.

We have a Fujitsu server running Server 2003 working with 12 workstations, a Dell PC/XP, a Fujitsu PC/XP and 10 Macs/XP on BootCamp networked via a Netgear 24 port Gigabyte Switch.

We are having intermittent and momentary losses in our network causing database corruptions. These outages don't seem to stem from any one workstation and no Network cards are showing any downtime at all, the connections are displaying as constant for hours, sometimes days on end. I've run some network checking routines, tested cables, and monitored the event manager constantly. Today we had another crash after which I again checked the Event Manager to find every one had the same information in the Event Viewer/System file - to whit

"The system detected that network adapter %2 was disconnected from the network, and the adapter's network configuration has been released. If the network adapter was not disconnected, this may indicate that it has malfunctioned. Please contact your vendor for updated drivers."

I cannot believe that every Card failed at the same time and cannot help but wonder what could've caused this.

I apologise for the length of this post and hope that someone knowledgeable will have the patience to read through it and maybe come up with something.

Cheers!

griggrog

If all systems have the Adaptor %2 has disconnected event, then the origin of the
problem is upstream from the systems, eg the switch, router or win2003 server.

I would
  1. update all firmware in the router/switch
  2. apply all updates to the server
  3. AVOID the TCP setting 'do not fragment'

Thank you people for your swift replies. I have only yesterday replaced the switch with a new one we'd bought having suspected such a fault and figuring, worst case scenario - we'll have a spare switch on hand. Didn't work - shame. I haven't actually updated the switch firmware but will try that and let you know how I got on. I have updated all the LAN card drivers on server and workstations and recently installed a JetEngine ServicePack on Server and Work Stations.

jobeard, where would I check the "TCP setting 'do not fragment'" please?

Cheers again

griggrog.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back