Internet connection issue - help wanted!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I connect to the internet through a wireless network at home (TalkTalk service and their provided router).

I tried to install a Linksys range expander (WRE54G) today, running the setup app on my laptop. It couldn't find the expander, which I half expected, as I wasn't sure whether the router and expander were compatible.

However - having disconnected, turned off the expander, and rebooted the laptop, I now can't reach the internet through the original wireless connection, or even using an ethernet cable.

- network connections shows up as connected, strong signal strength
- view available wireless connections shows as connected
- router lights are as normal
- other machines on the wireless network work perfectly

Having spoken to my ISP helpline they tried resetting the winsock catalog, but had no further ideas when that didn't work.

Any suggestions welcome, at the moment I'm out of ideas!

The laptop is running XP, SP3.

Thanks in advance!

Andrew

It appears you have overwritten the drivers or install for the TalkTalk service during the LinkSys install process. Do they offer tech support, or a site to download and install what you need? This sort of fix is difficult to do online without the ability to see what is happening.
There is a free download called Network Magic that helps, but you need more information from TalkTalk or the maker of their router.
Tell us what information is on the bottom of the router, such as brand, model number, version, etc. as a disk or downloads for that particular model will likely be needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back