Internet disconnecting

Status
Not open for further replies.
Heres my dilemma.

About a week ago my internet began to randomly disconnect. weather I'm playing an internet game, browsing a website or chatting on msn sometimes it randomly disconnects. From looking at a log there is no apparent link between the times it disconnects (Its completely random but happens often).

I have a Netgear router which has an additional 6 other computers hooked up to it (All Ethernet, no wireless). The problem doesn't only affect me but it also affects all the other computers at the same time. (Randomly stops working even though Local area network remains connected).

I have no idea what the problem is, about a week ago it started to randomly Disconnect and that was it from there, it hasn't stopped working.

After thinking about it, i realized that it is not a Network problem, since LAN can be used without any disconnects. Also This problem started occurring after the main computer in the Network had a RAM upgrade, i'm not sure if its possible that it has somehow conflicted and hence why the internet drops out randomly?

If anyone has any tips and advice or would like some more information which will help to try and resolve this problem i will try and do what i can.

~Thanks.

(Computer amateur)

hi, welcome to techspot

it appears that your having problems not with your network as it stays connected but with your ISP, if you could provide what kind of internet you have (ISP) cable, dsl, fios, it would be easier to diagnose your problem

Please do this
(Some members say they have already tried this in a reply; but later I find it has not been done!)
The following not only resets all Internet Explorer's settings, but also removes all temp files, all extensions are disabled (toolbars, browser extensions, and Browser Helper Objects), and activeX controls are restored.

How to use Reset Internet Explorer Settings (RIES

To use RIES in Internet Explorer 7, follow these steps:

1. Click the Tools menu, and then click Internet Options.
2. On the Advanced tab, click Reset.
3. In the Reset Internet Explorer Settings dialog box, click Reset.
4. When Internet Explorer 7 finishes restoring the default settings, click Close, and then click OK two times.
5. Close Internet Explorer 7. The changes take effect the next time that you open Internet Explorer 7.

Note for users who cannot start Internet Explorer 7 for some reason, use RIES from Internet Options in Control Panel.

hi, welcome to techspot

it appears that your having problems not with your network as it stays connected but with your ISP, if you could provide what kind of internet you have (ISP) cable, dsl, fios, it would be easier to diagnose your problem

Hello, I currently have Cable

Please do this
(Some members say they have already tried this in a reply; but later I find it has not been done!)
The following not only resets all Internet Explorer's settings, but also removes all temp files, all extensions are disabled (toolbars, browser extensions, and Browser Helper Objects), and activeX controls are restored

1. Click the Tools menu, and then click Internet Options.
2. On the Advanced tab, click Reset.
3. In the Reset Internet Explorer Settings dialog box, click Reset.
4. When Internet Explorer 7 finishes restoring the default settings, click Close, and then click OK two times.
5. Close Internet Explorer 7. The changes take effect the next time that you open Internet Explorer 7.

Note for users who cannot start Internet Explorer 7 for some reason, use RIES from Internet Options in Control Panel.

I have done what you have asked.

my cable has been disconnecting to actually, i have cablevision

you can see if the problem is with the modem it self, if the cable light on the modem goes off then its the calbe conection or the provider

Have you tried re-setting the router and your modem? I have seen both of these devices cause connection loss at times. Unplugging the modem andc leaving it unpowered for 30 seconds should do it. The Netgear router should have a hard re-set button somewhere on the case.

Have you tried re-setting the router and your modem? I have seen both of these devices cause connection loss at times. Unplugging the modem andc leaving it unpowered for 30 seconds should do it. The Netgear router should have a hard re-set button somewhere on the case.

Yes. I have reset these numerous times yet my problem remains. Reseting them does bring my internet back, but it usually reconnects by itself after a few seconds.

You could try each of these commands from the command prompt (Start ->Run-> cmd)
(Note Vista users need to right click on CMD, and select run as Administrator)
Some of these commands won't do anything on Cable though

ipconfig /release

ipconfig /flushdns

ipconfig /registerdns

ipconfig /renew

netsh winsock reset catalog

netsh int ip reset reset.log

netsh winsock reset

You could try each of these commands from the command prompt (Start ->Run-> cmd)
(Note Vista users need to right click on CMD, and select run as Administrator)
Some of these commands won't do anything on Cable though

ipconfig /release

ipconfig /flushdns

ipconfig /registerdns

ipconfig /renew

netsh winsock reset catalog

netsh int ip reset reset.log

netsh winsock reset

After trying each command all that shows up is ' "" is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file.'

First thoughts (ie the above is just the 30 second part!) is faulty Modem (Hardware)
I have a Netgear router which has an additional 6 other computers hooked up to it (All Ethernet, no wireless).
Is this the Optus provided Modem/Router? If so replace under their warranty
If not, plug in the original Optus provided Modem/Router and test with that

First thoughts (ie the above is just the 30 second part!) is faulty Modem (Hardware)

Is this the Optus provided Modem/Router? If so replace under their warranty
If not, plug in the original Optus provided Modem/Router and test with that

From what i understand is that the Modem is from Optus and the Netgear router was bought by us.

But yeah. I think it might be the router on its way out, since we've had it its been on pretty much 14-18hours a day nearly everyday.

Broadband help

Hello,

I ight be able to help.

Which ISP do you have. When the connection goes down have you checked what exactly happens to the router lights let me know i can help you precisely.

Regards

Hello,

I ight be able to help.

Which ISP do you have. When the connection goes down have you checked what exactly happens to the router lights let me know i can help you precisely.

Regards

Hello, i have a Australian company called Optus as my ISP. (Since it hasnt gone down in a few days i haven't noticed what happens to the router light, when it does i'll let you know!:)

Just an update: The last 2 days i haven't noticed any random disconnects, so it may have stopped. I'll give it another few days and wait and see.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back