Internet Explorer 10 finally arrives on Windows 7

Jos

Staff

Windows 7 users have had access to a release preview of Internet Explorer 10 for a few months now, but now Microsoft is making the final release available on the platform for the first time since the browser’s debut on Windows 8. The new version is said to provide up to a 20% speed increase over Internet Explorer 9 as well as more support for modern web standards.

Feature-wise, Internet Explorer 10 on Windows 7 will be nearly identical to its Windows 8 counterpart, although the user interface is largely the same as version 9. It has the controversial Do Not Track option turned on by default, preventing advertisers from having automatically tracking users’ behavior online. It also includes support for the Pointer Events touch API and hardware acceleration using Direct2D and DirectWrite, which will require a platform update to bring Windows 7's version of these APIs in line with Windows 8.

Download: Internet Explorer 10 for Windows 7 (English) | Other languages

Other notable features include integrated spell checking and auto-correct, improved JavaScript performance, and support for 30 new standards covering HTML5, CSS3 and Web Application specifications. There’s also a focus on battery life improvements for mobile PCs. As Ars Technica notes, pretty much the only major difference is that IE10 for Windows 7 will continue to use Adobe's updater for Flash, whereas Windows 8’s version includes an embedded version of Flash that gets its updates from Windows Update.

Although the browser is available for download right now Microsoft will be pushing the new version through Windows Update over the coming months. Anyone with the release preview installed will see IE10 as an "important" update, which means it will install silently and automatically under Windows Update’s default configuration. Those on IE9 should start seeing IE10 as an important update shortly thereafter, too.

Permalink to story.

yay.
I installed ie10:
version: 10.0.9200.16521
update versions: rtm (kb2718695)

I've had IE 10 pre release on my pc for a while now but never tried it. I may give it a bash soon but the trouble is I've become so accustomed to Chrome it may take a while to get used to it.

I have used firefox, opera and chrome for more than 5 years but ie 10 is real good. I recommend anyone to give it a try. ms finally managed to develop a good browser.

I have used firefox, opera and chrome for more than 5 years but ie 10 is real good. I recommend anyone to give it a try. ms finally managed to develop a good browser.
The only reason I installed the release preview was for the DirectX patch. I guess I will try it out

Blue screens my Windows 7 Pro. Also happened to a friend of mine.
Now need to downgrade to EI 9 but do not see any official document re how to.

Blue screens my Windows 7 Pro. Also happened to a friend of mine.
Now need to downgrade to EI 9 but do not see any official document re how to.
Oh wow, I dont really think I should now. I guess it could be the enhancements it adds to DX.

Edit: After looking around, this issue has been present ever since it first docked on Windows 7 as a preview... people have issues back from November involving Blue Screens

To uninstall, open Control Panel > View installed updates > scroll down under Microsoft Windows - there is Windows Internet Explorer 10

At least that is where mine is listed. Hope that helps

I just installed IE10 and have noticed there are still aesthetic issues. Also if you notice, the scroll bars up and down buttons are larger because they are made for touch. I feel like this is a lazy port from Win8 to Win7. I bet IE10 will be the last IE release for Win7

I installed IE10 and noticed several compatibility changes with a project I have using IE as a GUI for VBScript. Using IE8 for Windows XP and IE9 for Windows 7, the pages render fairly close to the same.

With IE10 I have:
  1. an issue with absolute positioning of certain elements that have changed from IE8/IE9.
  2. an issue with code I'm using to check for existence of elements within IE. I only hope I can find an alternate solution.
  3. noticed a change with the Select element, some of my selection boxes are now transparent as I intended them to be. It looks as if CSS styling may now be possible with the select element.
One could only hope these changes bring IE10 closer to being IE compatible to how other browsers render pages.

The links in the article for 32 and 64 bit, is that referring to whether or not you have x64 windows, or is it for a x64 browser?

The links in the article for 32 and 64 bit, is that referring to whether or not you have x64 windows, or is it for a x64 browser?
That would be browser bit versions. However if you have 32-bit Windows, you will be restricted to only using the 32-bit browser.

Hurrah! Even if we'll still be dealing with IE7/8 for many years to come, this ensures a bright future where we won't have to devote half of our time debugging obscure IE browser issues.

I downloaded the 64 bit package onto my windows 7 x64 however I don't see any evidence in the 'about' screen of ie10 that the browser is 64-bit, unlike ie9 which would mention x64 somewhere. Strange.

Why is "do not track" controversial? Marketers that have an issue with it will just ignore it.
I have as much faith in the honor system as these people deserve, none at all.

*yawn*

Still happy with my installation of Windows 7 Ultimate along with IE9(which I rarely ever use since it so far behind in HTML 5 features), Chrome, and Firefox. This is just another tactic, although much less coercive and underhanded than purposely not releasing Windows 7 service pack 2, to ease people into their touch-friendly world. IE10 still doesn't have as much HTML 5 functionality as the latest version of Chrome does. So, once again Microsoft, I have to say, "Thanks, but uh.....No thanks!"

I downloaded the 64 bit package onto my windows 7 x64 however I don't see any evidence in the 'about' screen of ie10 that the browser is 64-bit, unlike ie9 which would mention x64 somewhere. Strange.
I looked at the loading folder and noticed IE loading from the Program Files folder. If IE was 32-bit, I would assume it would load from "Program Files (x86)" folder. It would seem you no longer have a choice as to which bit version you want to run with IE10 outside of selecting which version is installed.

I've just about whittled all of my issues away with this version release of IE. Now I'm stuck wondering why Print Preview and Printing will only print or show the first page of my VBS project. It's gotta be something I have done, if only I can find it.

I downloaded the 64 bit version and had the same problem with it as I did with IE9 64, I click on it and the screen flickers but nothing else happens. I tried installing IE10 32 bit (since IE9 32 bit works on my system) but it told me that version won't work with my version of Windows? Chrome is fine, I guess. When Microsoft decided to lose the browser war, they went at it all out!

Control panel -> programs and features -> view installed updates -> find Windows Internet Explorer 10 (under Microsoft Windows) -> click on it, then click uninstall at the top. This will remove IE 10 and revert you back to 9.

Back